COOL TINT LIGHTS= SAVE MONEY

MIKENC

Newly Enlightened
I thought I would look on the bright side of only a few neutral tint lights in comparison to cool. I would buy several new lights if they were available in neutral tint, but unfortunately (or fortunately for my wallet) they are not. I have owned enough lights to know that I want neutral only (with maybe 1-2 exceptions) and refuse to buy cool. Anyone else feel this way?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've all but given up on cool tinted lights. The only cool lights i buy now are big guns that exist only to produce huge lumens.

I've even gone past neutral lights and I'm starting the plunge into High CRI lights.

Last edited:

Potato42

Newly Enlightened
I've even gone past neutral lights and I'm starting the plunge into High CRI lights.

Me too. Unfortunately we are in the vast minority so our pockets will fill with so much spare change we will no longer be able to contain it and our lights will no longer fit and we can't EDC them anymore so we stop becoming flashaholics and then some guy says "hey look at this cool forum over here!" and we run with our pockets jingling about until some shady guy in a trenchcoat down a dark alley hears us running and decides he wants some of that and we're held up but since we don't have our EDC stuff anymore he takes it all and so now we're back to where we started.:(

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I feel the same way, won't buy a light unless its neutral or warmer.

Potato - Maybe a savings account is what your after haha.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll see in my upcoming shootout :devil:

I have ma_sha1's Yard Sweeper Turbo II Triple XM-L Mag, Elektrolumens Wall-of-Fire Quad P7 Mag, Elektrolumens MCE-III triple MC-E Mag and I'm waiting on Techjunkie's XX-Ray 5xMC-E Mag :)

Big Guns.

flashflood

Enlightened
For me the issue is not cool vs warm (temperature) but rather distance from the Planckian locus (tint). Our eyes seem to "auto white balance" shades of blue and yellow quite effectively, but green is green and magenta is magenta. I prefer cool neutral, but am fine with warmer neutrals -- whereas any hint of green is just repellent. :barfs: Odd, because it's my favorite color! :thinking:

MWClint

Enlightened
I've all but given up on cool tinted lights. The only cool lights i buy now are big guns that exist only to produce huge lumens.

I'm with you on that.

I havent used a Non High CRI light for anything purposefull in a loooong time. All the lights I have, that can be modified, are...
including the lights in my(7day) EDC rotation:
Spy 007, Nitecore EX10, Peak Pacific, Peak Caribbean+EX10, Peak Pacific+D10, Ra Twisty, Peak Night Patrol
and keychain backups: Peak Eiger, McGizmo Sapphire, Peak Matterhorn, Fenix L0-Ti

are all modded with high cri seouls... Modding the Spy, Ex10, Twisty and L0-Ti were very easy, modding all those brass peaks was not..but brass peak+neutral led= pure awesomeness, so it's worth cramping your hands with a dremel for a couple hours. :laughing:

Mouser had a good supply of T1xxxH bin on stars. Their bare emitters are T1xxxI bin, so i've been buying the stars and just removing the emitter to get the real low Vf leds.
the stars also have their full tint bin marked on the base of each star.. the bare emitter, you have to guess at the tint.

Last edited:

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I would look on the bright side of only a few neutral tint lights in comparison to cool. I would buy several new lights if they were available in neutral tint, but unfortunately (or fortunately for my wallet) they are not. I have owned enough lights to know that I want neutral only (with maybe 1-2 exceptions) and refuse to buy cool. Anyone else feel this way?

Newbie Question
Why do you guys like warm netural over cool white is it just the glare ?
I only ask this because to my horror the last two lights from Jetbeam I received are warm the M2S & RRT-1 both came in a warm colour.All my other jetbeams are all cool.
So please enlighten me why I should keep them I would realy like to know .

Cheers

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lack of neutral LED lights definately helps prevent me from buying more! It is very hard to resist those Malkoff M61Ws though..................:sweat:

flashflood

Enlightened
Newbie Question
I only ask this because to my horror the last two lights from Jetbeam I received are warm the M2S & RRT-2 both came in a warm colour.All my other jetbeams are all cool.
So please enlighten me why I should keep them I would real like to know .

Cheers

I don't get the warm thing either, but it's pretty popular here. So I'd suggest posting WTT (want to trade) over on CPF Marketplace to see if a fellow CPFer would like to do a tint trade with you.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newbie Question
I only ask this because to my horror the last two lights from Jetbeam I received are warm the M2S & RRT-2 both came in a warm colour.All my other jetbeams are all cool.
So please enlighten me why I should keep them I would real like to know .

Cheers

Compare your cool and warm lights outdoors,alternate between the tints but look at the same object/background.IME not only are colors often rendered better but contrast is much improved.Typically cool LEDs tend to "wash out" details and color for me.Cool LED light is not unusable but neutral/warm is preferable to me,so much so,that I am only interested in neutral/warm lights now.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of threads debating different tints and why people like them. It's worth reading one of them, rather than this becoming another one.

I'm well and truly in the same boat as the OP. Until manufacturers start shipping lights with warm/neutral/High CRI emitters, I'll be sticking to customs.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compare your cool and warm lights outdoors,alternate between the tints but look at the same object/background.IME not only are colors often rendered better but contrast is much improved.Typically cool LEDs tend to "wash out" details and color for me.Cool LED light is not unusable but neutral/warm is preferable to me,so much so,that I am only interested in neutral/warm lights now.

Thanks for that I will try that out tonight.
cheers

flashflood

Enlightened
There are a lot of threads debating different tints and why people like them. It's worth reading one of them, rather than this becoming another one.

I'm well and truly in the same boat as the OP. Until manufacturers start shipping lights with warm/neutral/High CRI emitters, I'll be sticking to customs.

It would love to see a Tri-XML that uses three different tint bins to get a more complete spectrum, which is the key to true high CRI. I just tried this experiment with three lights I have: one slightly blue, one very slightly blue-green, the third slightly warm. Shining them all on the same spot, the blend looks really good! And not just because it's three times brighter. ;)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would love to see a Tri-XML that uses three different tint bins to get a more complete spectrum, which is the key to true high CRI. I just tried this experiment with three lights I have: one slightly blue, one very slightly blue-green, the third slightly warm. Shining them all on the same spot, the blend looks really good! And not just because it's three times brighter. ;)

There'll be high CRI XM-L's soon, I hope. Until that time, you could use a warm, neutral and cool emitter to give you the biggest spectrum possible. It still won't be perfect, though.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
MIKENC;3619145 Anyone else feel this way?[/QUOTE said:
I've tried very hard to like warm tints but their just not for me, my brain likes neutral or white as possible. From everything I've gathered on the subject here on CPF is people either like warm or don't but I think if more people seen a true neutral than it would dominate, that is of course if that neutral was available in widely popular light's.

I've never really thought of it this way until now but I stare at a computer screen half the day and it's mostly white to cool, how about other things like my TV (and the blue/cool Dish network program guide), digital display on DVD/Blu-ray player and audio equipment, people who live or work where fluorescent lights are prevalent and I'm sure I'm not thinking of a few others "cool" daily things.

Maybe it's just a silly thought but then again maybe our minds are just conditioned to the cool tint of every day things.