Smallest 25K Lux, 500+ OTF lumen multi mode light?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Just wondering what was out there that does at least 25,000 lux & 500 OTF lumens?

Could a Dereelight DBS w/Nailbender XM-L drop in do that on 2 18500's?

I'm sure the new X7 Maelstrom isn't close but I'd sure love that light with a bit larger head (1 3/4" diameter maybe?) driven harder w/ 2 18500's putting out that kind of light.

I'd also love for it to have a 1 lumen, 10 lumen, & 80 ish lumen mode though I'm sure I'm just dreaming there....

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
If I'm not mistaken, the Fenix TK35 does 25K lux & puts out 820lm. It's not too bad in the throw department... I had my new one out last night and pretty much lit up. A basketball court 100yds away no problem. Plus, it's pretty small, compact & you can find them for under $100.

Yes, I do have a large hand but still quite compact.
IMG_20110412_153318.jpg

Edit:
Forgot to mention that it is multi-mode as well.

Last edited:

kojoti

Newly Enlightened
Wouldn't suprise me if the stock dereelight dbs xm-l could manage that. Their xm-l pills are driven at 2.5A, 3,4-9v. Just got 2 extra, 1 for p60 and 1 for aspherical. xm-l focused in the aspherical head is so much fun, you'll get the 25k at 1m. for sure with that ;)

stallion2

Enlightened
Just wondering what was out there that does at least 25,000 lux & 500 OTF lumens?

Could a Dereelight DBS w/Nailbender XM-L drop in do that on 2 18500's?

I'd also love for it to have a 1 lumen, 10 lumen, & 80 ish lumen mode though I'm sure I'm just dreaming there....

This is precisely what I've done w/ one of my DBS's. I was a little disappointed w/ Dereelight's XP-G version of the DBS so a little over a year ago I purchased one of NB's SST-50, 2.8A pills and installed it w/ the stock XP-G DBS reflector. I had to bore the reflector opening to fit the emitter and dome but it was well worth the effort. Made for an absolute pocket cannon. I've since put a single-mode XM-L (~2.8A) in and would say the performance is pretty close to the SST-50. The XM-L is brighter but from a functional standpoint I would say they are both nearly even. Can't say for sure if it makes 25K lux (would depend on what distance from which you are measuring lux) but it definitely does at least 500 lumens OTF. It runs on a single Li ion or two CR123's, NOT two RCR123's. NB should be able to do that in a multi-mode if you really want that but it would be at a small expense to the high mode performance.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix TK35 is a good choice. Also, look at the EagleTac M3C4 XM-L. Has a great UI with 5 output settings (5, 65, 192, 404, & 748 ANSI lumens) with 38750 lux. Takes 2 18650s, and is a monster thrower for its size (slightly larger than the fenix tk35.) There is also a triple XM-L EagleTac M3C4 out that has 1011 max ANSI lumens with the same UI (slightly floodier though...dont know the lux on this one.) Check it out - ClickHere

kojoti

Newly Enlightened
The deerelight won't get both 500 lumens and 25+k lux. It's one or the other.

How's that exactely? The reflector of the dbs is decent, not as big as the tk35, but has a nice focus. The xm-l can manage 500 lumens, I don't see how one would cancel out the other?

srfreddy

Enlightened
How's that exactely? The reflector of the dbs is decent, not as big as the tk35, but has a nice focus. The xm-l can manage 500 lumens, I don't see how one would cancel out the other?

Its double the size of the XPG, so less than half the throw for same amount of the light. The TD15X, for example, puts out double the the light of the TD15, but still throws less, and its head is bigger than the deerelight, I think. It gets 14k lux or so.

DREW297

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at selfbuilts tk 35 review that was just posted in the reviews section. At the bottom of his posts are his test findings. There are a few lights that meet ur criteria. O-light m31, and the Eagletac xm-l smooth both outrun your requested specs. FYI I use my o-light m30 for night walks and it is pocket friendly with the short battery tube. The m31 is a little bigger i think.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Selfbuilt said that his M31 was overperforming though for the emmiter, and the TK35 underperforming for its lab tested specs.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Smallest throwers I have are all 200~300 OTF lumens via XR-E R2 EZ100 and EZ900. (not 500 quite yet)

The P60 Ahorton Aspheric in Solarforce L2 CR123 body with EZ900 dies does 32K lux on my AEMC CA813 meter.

The LUmapower D-mini with SMO reflector has a 35mm~36mm bezel and with CR123 body does 27,890ish 1m lux via EZ900 and 22,500k lux via EZ100.

Both of these are Surefire 3P size lights and hte Lumapower while the bezel is bigger actually feels smaller in the hand.:thumbsup:

bigC

Last edited:

kojoti

Newly Enlightened
Its double the size of the XPG, so less than half the throw for same amount of the light. The TD15X, for example, puts out double the the light of the TD15, but still throws less, and its head is bigger than the deerelight, I think. It gets 14k lux or so.

Ah yeh, you have a point there about the size, still it doesn't mean you can't have it both, just look at the Thrunite Catapult XM-L, offcourse a bigger head, but still.

daguy80

Newly Enlightened
I have a Dereelight DBS with a nailbender xm-l dropin and it is very bright. I would say easily over 500+ lumens and the throw would be close to 25k lux. It out throws my Tiablo A9 which is around 20k lux and also a lot brighter spill with the xm-l DBS. I cant find anything else that small with that much output and throw. I have it running on only 1 18650 so its very compact. If there is anything smaller with similar performance let me know.

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses guys! I totally overlooked the TK35 as I didn't realize it had that much throw. Now I'm curious how the TK 35 compares to the DBS with (2) 18,500's for size. I'm sure the DBS would be longer but still narrower?

Ok... I should add the silly info I'm thinking of but don't want to tell you'all :)

I just spent $1000 on a pair of pants and shirt that I'll wear every day and I want it to fit in my pocket. They are made out of a special airmesh kevlar weave - life time guarantee against rips/holes and I have a sap pocket that can accomidate a light with up to a 1.8" diameter head. I like to carry my light bezel down and the pocket is good for up to 5 1/4" from the tip of the bezel to being seated on the pocket clip.
Since the pants are so expensive I'm wanting the light to match the pants :)

My dream light would be a Maelstrom G5 with a 1.8" head, 2 18500 body and XM-L driven hard but David wont make one just for me :(

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the responses guys! I totally overlooked the TK35 as I didn't realize it had that much throw. Now I'm curious how the TK 35 compares to the DBS with (2) 18,500's for size. I'm sure the DBS would be longer but still narrower?

Ok... I should add the silly info I'm thinking of but don't want to tell you'all :)

I just spent $1000 on a pair of pants and shirt that I'll wear every day and I want it to fit in my pocket. They are made out of a special airmesh kevlar weave - life time guarantee against rips/holes and I have a sap pocket that can accomidate a light with up to a 1.8" diameter head. I like to carry my light bezel down and the pocket is good for up to 5 1/4" from the tip of the bezel to being seated on the pocket clip.
Since the pants are so expensive I'm wanting the light to match the pants :)

My dream light would be a Maelstrom G5 with a 1.8" head, 2 18500 body and XM-L driven hard but David wont make one just for me :(

That sounds like you want a Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L.
1.8" head and XM-L emitter, and you can get it with a MD4 body which will take 2x18650.
The XP-G version of the Hound Dog was about 20k lux and 340 lumens, and the XM-L version of the Hound Dog is probably 600-700 lumens, but I don't know the lux.
I had the Maelstrom G5 XP-G and the Hound Dog XP-G at the same time, and the throw was comparable between them. I'd say that the Hound Dog XM-L would throw the same as your "envisioned dream light" Maelstrom G5 with an XM-L.
And the Malkoff MD4 bodies will take the 2x18650.

Believe me, when you feel that Malkoff light in your hand, it feels like you are holding a precision laboratory instrument! The quality of the build is outstanding.
Do a search and check out the beamshots on the Hound Dog XM-L.
I think you'll like it.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
To throw XML/2.8Amp to 25K lux, one would need a reflector SMO 1.5 inch (~40mm) or larger. This is assuming reflector has a nearly perfect profile like Mag rebel SMO.
Not the deeper the better either, it's about how well a reflector follows the parabolic curve.

Doesn't matter what brand, it'll still need a SMO 1.5 or larger to achieve this.
Most of them can't achieve it unless a larger reflector is used.

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
That sounds like you want a Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L.
1.8" head and XM-L emitter, and you can get it with a MD4 body which will take 2x18650.
The XP-G version of the Hound Dog was about 20k lux and 340 lumens, and the XM-L version of the Hound Dog is probably 600-700 lumens, but I don't know the lux.
I had the Maelstrom G5 XP-G and the Hound Dog XP-G at the same time, and the throw was comparable between them. I'd say that the Hound Dog XM-L would throw the same as your "envisioned dream light" Maelstrom G5 with an XM-L.
And the Malkoff MD4 bodies will take the 2x18650.

Believe me, when you feel that Malkoff light in your hand, it feels like you are holding a precision laboratory instrument! The quality of the build is outstanding.
Do a search and check out the beamshots on the Hound Dog XM-L.
I think you'll like it.

Thanks guys (ma sha1 as well) - I didn't realize that the hound dog had a 1.8" diameter head... that's great! That's exactly the size I'm looking for and so according to ma_sha1's measurement's that should put me well over 25 lux at 1M right?

"Dream lights" - the other thing important to me (and let me know if there are other options out there) is 1.) to have multipe, spread out modes and 2.) to simply and easily know what mode the light will be coming on in when I turn it on. There are times it's extremely important to me it comes on very low and also at full power; if I want a "medium"ish mode I'm probably not in an emergency situation. Any other options out there than a control ring or Maelstrom G5 type of twisting head?

I'm a bit surprised that those features are more widely sought after? Thoughs?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Trouble is if you want it "driven hard" I don't think the Malkoff qualifies. If I understand correctly he builds them to be safe and to last forever but not driven to the max.