Wolf-Eyes Krait XM-L - a micro-review

radioactive_man

Enlightened
I just got a Wolf-Eyes Krait XM-L flashlight. Here are some impressions

http://www.wolf-eyes.com/product/Krait Detail.html

Impressions: The manufacturer states, that the light outputs about 100 ANSI lumens, which seems about right, when I compare to other lights. The focusing mechanism is a great idea, because the "flood" setting gives you an almost completely artifact free 48 degree beam, which is great for close up work. There a slight corona, but most of the beam is COMPLETELY smooth. In the "focus" setting you get a spill-free projected square picture of the XM-L led, which isn't artifact free. However the artifacts are insignificant in real life applications.

Overall it's a good light, but there are some oddities.

First of all, the manufacturer's claim, that this light is adjustable from 5 degrees to 48 degrees is unadulterated, weapons grade baloney. At 31 cm distance the fully focused beam has a "diameter" (it's a square beam, so by this I mean the length of the sides of the square) of 6 cm. Basic trig tells us, that this translates to a divergence of 11 degrees(!). This is probably due to the larger XM-L LED; the XP-G R5 version probably honors the 5 degree claim, but it's retarded advertising. However I didn't want this light for the throw (I have a G5), so I won't send it back, because the 48 degrees of flood seem to almost hold. It's more like 40 degrees, but no matter.

Second, the light can tailstand (yay!), but it can't stand on the bezel. The lens protrudes a little bit (< 1 mm) from the front. It strikes me as odd, that the bezel wasn't made to protect the lens. I'll never put this light down on the bezel for fear of scratching the lens.

Third, the focusing mechanism has a wee bit of play. You can wiggle the bezel a millimeter or so from side to side. Furthermore the "straight pull" focusing can go from "flood" to "focus" if you shake the light, so this thing is definitely not weapons mountable. Also, the focusing mechanism makes this light only splashproof (but I understand this is common for straight pull lights).

Conclusion: GREAT flooder, semi-reasonable build quality, somewhat dumb design and dumber advertising. I'll put this in my car, because a great flooder will be very handy if I have to inspect the engine or some other part in the dark. If I need to see something far away, this light will probably light it up, but the lack of waterproofness makes me consider this light a car and indoor light. Pop in two AA lithium primaries, and it'll be there when you need it.

I'm happy with this light, because I wanted a great flooder, but I no longer consider Wolf-Eyes to be a high end flashlight manufacturer, because of the obvious design issues.

Last edited:

radioactive_man

Enlightened
One more thing: The box states, that this is a tactical light, but the switch is a reverse clicky, and the interface is horrendous: soft press to cycle through: low-high -> medium -> low -> high-high -> 4 Hz dumb-*** disco strobe. Oh, and no mode memory.

But I feel like I have to restate, that I still like the light because it's an awesome flooder. There's so much negativity in the review, but I don't want there to be any doubt about my (very conditional) love for this light.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't post what this thing cost, very important to see if its worth the asking price. 100 lumens from an XM-L emitter is kind of a waste. Not impressive at all. Trying to drive an XM-L with 2 AA batteries also seems like the wrong way to go. If its $30.00 or less maybe its a fair compromise for a smooth beam but low power. If its another 70 plus dollar light or something well over that than its no bargain at all. I can't even find a US vendor that sells it. I notice Pacific Tactical Solutions has a big notice on their website that they are dropping all Wolf Eyes lights and if you have any warranty issues to contact the folks in China. That tells me a lot right there.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED: Cree Premium 7090 XR-E R2/R2 Turbo HO/R5 Turbo HO LED/Digital Cree XM-L T6 Lamp assembly
Max Output: 300 Lumens (Max output) with 2 x Li-FE AA battery*
Reflector: OP aluminum reflector *
Material: aircraft aluminum alloy
Finish: HA III Military grade hard anodized
Battery: AA (Alkaline, Ni-MH, Li-FE)
Input voltage: 0.8-4.2V
Switch: Rapid switch between Morse-on and lock-on with over 50,000 times life cycle.
Waterproof: Splash proof only
Dimension: Bezel diameter 30mm, body diameter 18mm, Overall length 155mm
Weight: 80g
Operation Temperature: -25℃-60℃
Output & Runtime:
- With 2 x Li-FE AA Batteries:
2% brightness(69hrs)->20% lumenslumens(5.2hrs)-> 60% brightness (2.5 hrs)->100% brightness(70minutes with regulated output)-> strobe

----------------------------------
From the link you gave it states 300 lumens for the XML as seen from the snipit I copy and pasted from your link

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to know how much this wolf eyes is, if it's $50 or less I'd love one.
It's better than my current small aspheric the Sipik

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
70ish Euro eh? Still a great find. Hopefully I can find a more local dealer for better shipping.
Thanks for posting as because I think I want one. i think itd be better than my Sipik68

Last edited:

radioactive_man

Enlightened
CarpentryHero: You should probably go for the one with an XP-G R5. An XM-L T6 die kinda defeats the purpose of the optics, unless you're looking for great flood.

I've looked, but I can't find you a US based Wolf-Eyes dealer, so you probably have to shell out for shipping from Europe.