• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Resale value records?

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know if there has been a record kept of how much certain McG's go for in varying condition? I am actually considering selling one or two, and don't want to ask too much, or sell TOO low (though I do intend to make the prices "friendly.")

Many thanks, all.

rich297

Newly Enlightened
I'm not aware of any compilation of sales prices. I think most sellers do a search of individual recent sales of a particular model. For the rare models I would only look at sales from the past six months because the sale prices have escalated significantly.

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know if there has been a record kept of how much certain McG's go for in varying condition? I am actually considering selling one or two, and don't want to ask too much, or sell TOO low (though I do intend to make the prices "friendly.")

Many thanks, all.

There are many people who keep track of all sales on B/S/T. Now getting them to share their knowledge might be difficult.
Good Luck,
Frank

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just sell 'em for what you paid... everybody's happy. :)

One of them will probably be right about that price.

There are many people who keep track of all sales on B/S/T. Now getting them to share their knowledge might be difficult.
Good Luck,
Frank

Hmmm...I can always resort to bribery.....

Or start high and do a price drop every day or so until the market decides. :devil:
That's even better than bribery! Now, to forget that I have some moral issues with it.....

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
To each his or her own. :)

there is nothing wrong with charging more than you paid for something. Unless its food or medicine in a disaster or something, of course.

Would you sell a Babe Ruth rookie card for a penny? Why not? That's what was originally paid for it?

If someone wants a item, they will pay for it. If they want the item badly, they will pay more for it. Listing a McGizmo for a ultra premium reserves the light for someone who really wants that item. Someone who kinda wants a LS20 won't pay $750, but they may pay $500. But the person who's grail is the LS20, will be happy as a pig in slop for finding one, even if they did pay 50% above original. Everyone's a winner. :)

fourdogs

Newly Enlightened
I know what you mean. I'm considering selling my only McGizmo. An LS27 in minty-mint condition for $900. Hey....it's worth that much for me to let it go. When I do use it, it's actually worth more.....it's priceless :)

bmcgators98

Enlightened
One of the rules on the EDC Forum is that all prices must be left posted after the sale.. I wish that was the case here so it would just be a simple google search to see what the last few similar items sold for. It is also nice when you are looking to buy something to make sure you are not paying too much.

rich297

Newly Enlightened
That is also the rules here at CPF & CPMP, supposed to be anyways.

Sorry if my post was short, using Tapatalk on my cellphone. (auto sigline)

+1.

I'd say about 95% of sellers do leave the sold price in their thread. For the 5% who don't, through ignorance or whatever, theres usually a moderator or a fellow CPFer to remind the seller.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
I usually start at the price I paid minus 10%.

Even for mint McGizmos? Why? They should be worth, at the bare minimum, the price you paid for it. I understand if you're selling off some mass produced Al light, but a mint McGizmo that is never going to be made again is not depreciating in value.

I have a lengthy history of both purchases and sales here on CPF and CPFMP. I left my sales price in every thread so that there is some reference for others. Feel free to search my listings for any guidance.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even for mint McGizmos? Why? They should be worth, at the bare minimum, the price you paid for it. I understand if you're selling off some mass produced Al light, but a mint McGizmo that is never going to be made again is not depreciating in value.

I was talking in general. I'm too poor to afford a McGizmo (plus I didn't notice the thread was in the McGizmo subforum before I posted :ohgeez:)

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Ok, that makes sense and that is what I had assumed, but since the thread was in the McGizmo subforum I just had to ask.

To be fair, if you are trying to sell a McGizmo that is readily available from Don in a standing wave, even if it is still mint, you would have to lower the price a little bit to move it. My point was in regards to the models that Don has made clear that he will never produce again. Limited supply, demand is still high, therefore prices go up.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input everybody, and I really didn't want to start a debate (friendly as I'm sure we'd keep it) about fair pricing, etc.
The main light I'm considering selling is a user, carried just about nightly for probably two years. It functions perfectly, but will likely never be made again. I've found a few FS threads on it, so I think I know what I'd post it for.

Thank you all for the thoughtful advice. Now I just need to remember to take pictures when I get home.