Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 vs. Pro-2

mwb01

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm having some trouble finding out the differences between the Masterpiece Pro-1 and Pro-2. I know they have different emitters, but is one much better than the other in terms of throw and spill? I think the XR-E in the Pro-1 would probably do better in terms of throw but does the Pro-2 make up for it with so many more lumens? Is the difference in throw negligible?

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
I can't say a whole lot about the MPP2, but the MPP1 sure does throw...From what I've read, you are right in assuming that the MPP1 will have more throw than the MPP2 because of not just the emitter (MC-E vs R2), but also the reflector design. From what I can tell, the reflector is light orange peel vs a smooth on the MPP1.

I'm sure if you were to run a MPP2 on 2x 18650 you would get a massive wall of light out to at least a hundred yards (i.e. everything lit up w/in that range). With the MPP1, you get more of a pencil shaped beam that can reach out a couple hundred yards with a bright hotspot. They are two different lights for two different purposes. If you want a true thrower with still a useful amount of spill, the MPP1 is your best bet. If you want more of a flood with impressive output and still descent throw, go with the MPP2. Or, just get both and find out which works best for you :whistle:

srfreddy

Enlightened
The MPP1 is a Massive thrower-over 50k of lux, probably throws further than the tk41, which easily beats out the catapult, m3c4,etc.

notslow

Newly Enlightened
Bringing this thread back to life? Has anyone done direct comparisons of the two. I'm considering one of these for an ar with scope. Which one would be better for 100-200 yards out? I know the pro1 should be a better thrower, but the pro2 makes a lot of light, just not sure how far it throws it.

Erzengel

Enlightened
Yeah, no current LED can beat the throw of the XR-E, so there is still a justification for using this "outdated" emitter in flashlights.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bringing this thread back to life? Has anyone done direct comparisons of the two. I'm considering one of these for an ar with scope. Which one would be better for 100-200 yards out? I know the pro1 should be a better thrower, but the pro2 makes a lot of light, just not sure how far it throws it.

The mpp1 has better throw, and less spill. But less spill is a good thing if you want to see far. It runs cooler and has better runtime.
The mpp2 has a bigger hotspot with less throw, but it might be too big so lots of light may be wasted outside your scopes view angle, (depending on your scope).
For looking trough a scope, I would go for the mpp1 everytime. It really gets the light out there, awsome throw :)

When I point my mpp1 at a cloud, Batman comes running. It's throwy allright :)