led conversions for maglights

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi. I am a newbie to the forum and have been reading most of the archived posts looking for info. I have found the thread on mini mags and their led conversions in progress but haven't seen any mention of using the 2 d cell and up for led usage or for high intensity output.I have a solid state electronics background primarly in GE and cableform systems and have a basic understanding of regulating systems and was just trying to look into what has been done or attempted using the larger units. Thanks for any info or direction towards info. BTW I see a HID mentioned for a MAG d body. Is this short for a maglite d cell body or referring to something else? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah its for a mag light d cell body. Search for space needle, megaclops, mr-x, etc Thes are all mods done in mag lights either C or D cell size. Using mostly 5w luxeon LED's overdriven to around 10watts... There are others too.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smokin,
I use a 2D Mag with the Madmax+ regulator made for 2AA, it works well at 800mA driving an R2H ranked Luxeon. Like Isaac stated above, there are all sorts of lithium/C/D cell Mag mods rolling around this forum.
The latest form of entertainment is 3 or 4 five watt LEDs in Mags, would that be bright enough?