Bedside flashlight for Grandma

Zot

Enlightened
Hi everyone.

I am trying to replace my grandmothers bedside flashlight, one of those big reflector lights with a 6v lantern battery.

Here are the requirements.
-floody beam
-single or 2 mode
-common batteries
-easy to change batteries - mag lights can be difficult for her
-easy to operate - no small buttons or complicated modes

The Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA has every requirement, except that its beam is narrow. ElektroLumens EDC-MCE would be great...except is runs on 18650 LiIons.

Ideas? :thinking:

Thanks.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Bedside flashlight for Gramdma

If she's happy with her current light, get the Dorcy 6v PR bulb LED replacement for about $6.

She'll get more output and significantly more runtime off her 6v battery.

--flatline

beerwax

Enlightened

if she likes it . if its working.

lantern style have got a lot good points.
familiarity
easy battery replacement
wont roll
good solid handle
easy to see and use switch .

the only reason you would go to led would be for the runtime - find out if she flattens batteries or if they just go flat from not being used much.

having said all that my mum (80yrs) has a fenix lod and loves it. i have gone to visit and found battery in backwards and head screwed on real tight.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought my mother-in-law (a grandma herself) a Preon 2 warm white. She likes that it always comes on in low (so she can't accidentally blind herself at night) but can power up to check on her dogs in the back yard. It's a bit slim to hold, but you can't miss the clicky - it's almost the entire end of the light. It's quite floody due to the small reflector size.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the Streamlight ProPolymer works for your grandmother, you can diffuse the beam somewhat by sticking opaque "scotch" tape or contact paper on the lens. I've used this method on several flashlights. Depending on the beam pattern, you may need to use more than one layer of tape/contact paper. There is some light loss, but for me it works well. I also put a tab on the "diffuser" so that I can easily remove it when I need a narrow beam.

beerwax

Enlightened

I bought my mother-in-law (a grandma herself) a Preon 2 warm white. She likes that it always comes on in low (so she can't accidentally blind herself at night) but can power up to check on her dogs in the back yard. It's a bit slim to hold, but you can't miss the clicky - it's almost the entire end of the light. It's quite floody due to the small reflector size.

thx mvyrmnd. your right about that switch. what happens in a preon 2 if you reverse the batteries ? and has she ever found strobe ?

CurtisW

Newly Enlightened
I got my 73 yr young mother a Coast P7 for her bedside. She loves it but sometimes she forgets to click it twice and it stays on, (she stands it up) and the batteries go dead.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

If she's happy with her current light, get the Dorcy 6v PR bulb LED replacement for about $6.

She'll get more output and significantly more runtime off her 6v battery.

--flatline
If you can not find the bulb locally order it online here.
Some lanterns are reverse polarity and this bulb may not work.

Dorcy also sells a smaller 4AA torch with that bulb here.

Even smaller is a Preon 2, Golden Yellow.

Dorcy has a brighter 180 lumen 4AA here. I saw 4 at my local Sears.
But I think this and the Propolymer might be too bright for midnight trips to the bathroom.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you can not find the bulb locally order it online here.
Some lanterns are reverse polarity and this bulb may not work.

I was under the impression that that bulb handled reverse polarity without any problem. Is that not correct?

--flatline

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was under the impression that that bulb handled reverse polarity without any problem. Is that not correct?

--flatline
I do not have any reverse polarity 6V torches to check but I do not think so. Adding a full wave rectifier to make the bulb polarity independent would raise the cost above the $4-$6 price. Most of Dorcy's torches and lanterns are the correct polarity, as is a Energizer 6V lantern I got. So the danger of it not working is quite small.

4aa-mini-brite-lantern is the only Dorcy lantern I know that was reverse polarity. Dorcy may have fixed it by now as they are offering an LED version. It is cheaper to get the factory to swap the wires than to add a rectifier to every bulb.
This energizer 2in 1 lantern is also reverse polarity. It is 3V despite using 4AA batteries. 2S2P to extend runtime.

mrpeter105

Newly Enlightened

--flatline

Hi:

Yes that is correct. I emailed Dorcy and asked them about it. The 3/4 cell bulb 41-1644 is bidirectional in that it will light up with either + or - applied to the tip. I tested it myself when they said they should be bi-directional. The 2-cell 41-1643 bulb will only work with + applied to the bulb tip. I tried it the other way but it didn't light up. Also it didn't burn out so it also has reverse polarity protection. You can see where I posted this information in the "Dorcy LED Drop-in" thread.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-LED-Drop-in&p=3552716&viewfull=1#post3552716

P.S. I didn't post the part about the 2-cell bulb because I didn't do the test until some time later and I don't see it being used in any other profile other than in a flashlight with +ve applied to the tip.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

lpd226

Newly Enlightened

Just bought my grandpa the jetbeam BA10 about 2 weeks ago. He loves it's compact size, AA capability and super simple UI. Nice 13 lumen low and outstanding 160 lumen high both accessed by a simple twist of the head. And only $38! Don't see how you can beat it.

BA10_En01.jpg

dhook

Newly Enlightened

Just bought my grandpa the jetbeam BA10 about 2 weeks ago. He loves it's compact size, AA capability and super simple UI. Nice 13 lumen low and outstanding 160 lumen high both accessed by a simple twist of the head. And only $38! Don't see how you can beat it.

BA10_En01.jpg

Where do you find it for that price? Cheapest I could find was 42.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just get her a Mag XL100 - that way she can keep it in night light mode. Also, it takes easy to find AAA batteries...

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Streamlight MicroStream might be an option. I gifted one to a friend and when her very old grandma saw her using she fell in love with it, my friend had to gift it to her.

-or- How about a Fenix LD15? That seems like a very simple and nice light.

Last edited:

Latest posts