Quest for 1 x 18650 light

jbrett14

Enlightened
I decided to just start a new thread rather than continue trying to search past threads, since it seems every time I am close to deciding what I want, a new light comes out that is "better".

As of TODAY, what lights would you recommend, based on the following criteria:

Battery - 1 x 18650
Note: I own the Fenix TK30, which can be used with a single 18650, and which has a fantastic light output, but it's head is much too large for what I am looking for right now (a smaller light than can easily be packed).

Beam - A beam similar to the TK30 - a good combo of throw and flood.

UI - A simple UI if possible - I would much prefer this light to have maybe just two outputs, or even one, with no flashing modes, but this is not a high priority.

Switch - I really like the placement of the Zebra SC60 switch, but I do not want to limit my choice to only lights that have the switch at the front end. I prefer a switch that will not accidentally turn on while in a pocket, dry bag, or backpack.

Lumens - as many as possible - runtime is not as important to me for this light, as I have plenty of spare batteries.

Cost - Hoping to keep it under $80.

Size - The smaller the better, and certainly no larger heads as found on TK30-sized lights.

I am intrigued by one suggestion for the Lumintop TD-15X, but have yet to see some photos of it next to, say, the smaller Zebra SC60. Not sure if it will be small enough, but it does look like it just might be fine.

Would love to hear from everyone who has a 1 x 18650 light, both positive and negative comments about your light.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love 1x18650 lights. For EDC they are usually too big, but Zebralight changed that with the sc60. Only 4" and weighs next to nothin. I wished I'd gotten it in the neutral white version though, but I really love my version. Still though I don't edc this light because of the accidental activation in my pocket, and I got tired of carrying it in the locked out position. But I do really love this light. When I go somewhere that I KNOW I will be using a light then I take it along simply for the great output and the great runtimes. My EDC is a quark AA on a Li-ion 14500 battery. It's great in every way, but lacks the runtime of an 18650. So my #1 choice for a small 1x18650 light would definitely be the Zebralight sc60w (neutral white version.)

BUT WAIT - zebralight is about to release the SC600 sporting the XM-L emitter. They are suppose to announce it on their website at the end of this month. Caint wait!

shomie911

Enlightened
I've heard good things about the Zebralights, but I'm in the same boat as you, not a fan of side-clicky lights.

I'm surprised there aren't more small 1*18650 lights out there.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I meant to mention earlier that I have several 1x18650 lights like the Fenix TK11, Olight M20, Olight M21 (sent back), and 2 Quarks with the 18650 body. These lights are a little too big to edc (if that's what your plan for this light is.) The quark with the 18650 body is pretty small, but not quite small enough for edc either. The Lumintop TD-15X is IMO too large for edc as well. It could be worn on a belt in a holster pretty comfortably though, but your mileage may vary....great lookin light tho.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion would be the Eagletac T20c2 XML 500+ lumens in the newest version. XML is less floody than the MC-E so the bezel can afford to be smaller. It's upgradeable down the road which is another plus, downside is it does have a strobe mode, but it's easy enough to avoid with the UI.

The Fenix TK21 looks promising, same size and ui as the TK15 but with more output and an XML under the hood :)

Hfili

Newly Enlightened
I was attempting to get a single 18650 by ordering a Quark tactical 123 with a 2 AA tube as well as the 18650 tube. Until I got the order and discovered I was the victim of the "threads that go to nothing" batch of 18650 tubes. Their customer service was great and I returned the tube for full credit but alas, I am unable to use that great little light with the 18650 cells I already have for my TK30. 4Sevens also said they will not be selling the 18650 tube any longer for the quarks due to the difficulty they have had with this run. If you can get a tube that threads on, I would recommend the Quark. Great beam profile, simple interface and it is very bright for a little light!

I might get the 2-123 tube and run some of the skinnier cells, 17650's I think? Either that or I will get some rechargeable 123 cells and keep the handy size of the single 123 tube. Hopefully, 4sevens will decide to keep trying on the 18650 tube and I can just get that. At least the lego ability gives me options...

LMF5000

Newly Enlightened
I think right now, the most lumens-per-watt you can get is in the CREE XM-L - the latest bin being the U2 one which is I think gives 7% more lumens than the older T6 bin.

The most compact host I've come across for a P60-sized XM-L and one 18650 is known as the "skyray" on DX, or else there's this listing on ebay, which is the cheapest I found with an XML-U2: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RQ-07-Cree-XM...ing_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item33661d1a88

I have one of those hosts. The switch on the tailcap is recessed enough that the light can do a tailstand, so I suppose that makes it difficult for the light to accidentally switch on in a backpack for example. The beam has a good balance of flood and throw in my opinion (quite a bit of flood actually), but the crenelations on the bezel make the extreme edges of the beam slightly hexagonal instead of perfectly round. Not something you'll notice using the light outdoors, mind you, but when pointing it at an empty wall at close range you'll see the effect better.

The driver is a five-mode, so not exactly the simple UI you were looking for, but you can turn it into a single, dual or triple mode by taking it apart and following the instructions in this thread (see post #19, assuming it's got the same driver): http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...pic-HEAVY!!!&p=3595569&viewfull=1#post3595569

PCS

Newly Enlightened
The NiteCore Infilux IFE2 is suppose to be relatively compact. It's an R5, but very bright. And it's got a rotary selector.

A little above the OP's price limit, but not much.

JKodiak

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce L2P with Nailbender XM-L drop-in. I think it's quite near the sweet spot of lumens vs size at the moment. Should be about same as TK-30 plus you have a lot of choice which type of beam you prefer. And stays within your budget. Maybe 2-mode drop-in 2.8 Amp with a OP reflector would have very similiar beam as TK-30 while being pocketable size.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Wow, I was not expecting this many posts yet. THANKS to all for sharing your thoughts.

So many to choose from.

Based on what I have learned thus far, the Zebralight SC60 and the Shiningbeam S-mini are the smallest of the bunch? Can anyone attest to this?
I don't mind getting a light that is a bit larger than either of these, but if I were to choose between these two, how does the actual light output compare?

Every light mentioned so far has been a consideration of mine. I like them ALL, but can only get ONE at this time. This light will be my primary light for general everyday use as well as my pack light for camping, hiking, etc. I use my TK30 for camping, but it's a bit large for practical use - more for spotting things like wildlife from a distance, but too bulky to pack.

If anyone owns more than one 1 x 18650 lights, ANY photos showing comparisons would be much appreciated - of the lights themselves and\or outdoor beamshots. I have found several photos of several of these lights, including outdoor beamshots, but not next to each other. Makes it kind of difficult to compare "apples to apples" if the shots are not of the same thing under the same conditions. Thus far they ALL appear to put out very nice light, which makes me wonder, should I just go for the least expensive model?

I sure wish that SC60 would not accidentally turn on in a pack. That would make my decision so much easier. In fact, I would have already owned it and been done with this quest. I don't like the idea of needing unscrew it, if even just a little, to "lock" it out. I own the H501 headlamp and this is the ONLY thing I don't like about it. Otherwise, the perfect light.

I'd prefer this light to be one that I can just turn off, throw it in a pack, bag, or pocket, without needing to lock it out, then, when needed, pull it out and turn it on instantly. I just know that there will many times that I will want to do things with ONE hand, easily.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce L2P with Nailbender XM-L drop-in. I think it's quite near the sweet spot of lumens vs size at the moment. Should be about same as TK-30 plus you have a lot of choice which type of beam you prefer. And stays within your budget. Maybe 2-mode drop-in 2.8 Amp with a OP reflector would have very similiar beam as TK-30 while being pocketable size.

+1

The L2P is a nice, solid host. You then have the ability to use nearly any dropin you like, if you decide you want more throw or more flood, etc.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shiningbeam has several 18650 lights worth checking out.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for a small 1x18650 light, there are really only two contenders: S-mini and SC60.

I do not have an SC60, but based on my experience with the SC51w, I would choose the S-mini over the SC60 for several reasons:
1. S-mini has the simple L-M-H interface that I prefer (yes, even over the Zebralight UI).
2. S-mini is perfectly suited for holster carry and comes with a decent holster (I've tried my SC51w in a couple of holsters and it's awkward because of the clip and head shape).
3. S-mini is extremely unlikely to turn on accidentally in your pocket or holster (the only way to be sure with the SC51 is to lock out the tailcap...which peeves me greatly)
4. S-mini is half the price of the SC60

Based on my experience with the L-mini, I'm of the opinion that unless you want to go the lego P60 route, the S-mini should be your first 18650 light for all the same reasons that the Quark (or Fenix or Thrunite equivalents) should be your first AA light. It might not be the best at anything, but is good at everything and is probably all you'll ever need. If something were to happen to my L-mini, I'd replace it immediately with a neutral S-mini. It's my goto light anytime I need more runtime, output, or disposability (is that a word?) than my high CRI HDS clicky provides.

--flatline

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
Don't overlook the Yezl Z1, a single 18650 twisty about the same size as the ShiningBeam s-mini, but it's available with XM-L and XP-G LEDs and comes in different tints. The price is nice, too.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC60 is the best 18650 EDC light I own and mine has never turned on in my pocket, for your bag just loosen the tailcap a bit before tossing it in. Another option is the Fenix PD31, no it don't have the prettiest beam but it is bright and rock solid like the PD30. The PD31 is a perfect sized light to carry in it's holster on a belt, bigger light's like the Eagletac T20C2 is another good choice. Happy hunting