Question - Why do G2Ls' still have metal heads?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their new emitters/driver setups in the 120Lumen versions shouldn't be producing enough heat to warrant a metal head, should they? The G2Ls' would also be much more attractive with the nitrolon heads.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure, my 80 lumen G2L yellow came with an aluminum head, I appreciated it because I'm now running a warm tint 200+ lumen dropin in it. I haven't seen a nitrolon head anywhere but eBay in the last few months

Last edited:

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
I believe that there were a few issues of overheating with first generation G2L's. So Surefire changed the head to an aluminium design to allow for greater heat dissipation.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I believe that there were a few issues of overheating with first generation G2L's.
I don't know if this is correct - are you able to cite a reference for this?

The SF P60LED module had an additional thermal regulation feature - it would throttle the output of the module down depending on how much it heated up. Upon turn- on, the output would be 80 lumens, going down to ~60 lumens after 5-10 minutes IIRC from looking at the output graph. The heat & output of that module would stabilize at that figure in an aluminum head, but would further throttle down to ~50 lumens in a nitrolon head.

My guess is that SF understood that this was a non-optimal configuration and began spec'ing the aluminum head on the G2L's.

I can't recall ever reading a report here on CPF regarding the failure of this feature and subsequent overheating of a P60LED module, although I assume it's theoretically possible. More likely would be a decreased overall lifespan of the LED, but IIRC what few CPF reports there were of defective P60LED dropins were that they were DOA from a defect in manufacture rather than overheating during use.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I with you KDOG3, I'm not a fan of mixing aluminium and nitrolon parts. It's just not right.

What ever happened to your alter ego KDOG4?

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
The SF P60LED module had an additional thermal regulation feature - it would throttle the output of the module down depending on how much it heated up. Upon turn- on, the output would be 80 lumens, going down to ~60 lumens after 5-10 minutes IIRC from looking at the output graph. The heat & output of that module would stabilize at that figure in an aluminum head, but would further throttle down to ~50 lumens in a nitrolon head.

My guess is that SF understood that this was a non-optimal configuration and began spec'ing the aluminum head on the G2L's.

This sounds closer to what I remember.