Looking for an American Made Thrower

Draz

Newly Enlightened
Im in the market for a thrower, specifically one that is a laser tight beam upto a couple hundred feet with little sidespill.

I don't mind a modded light but would prefer a turn key setup not exceding 150 bucks roughly as it would be a "play" light.

I got a C3 with a M61W for a bump in the night light, it will light up my entire yard perfectly but now I want something to hit houses wayy down the road:shakehead

I have looked into the fenix throwers and some Jetbeams but would rather stick with brands that I own. I have only ever bought one non american light and it was a fenix from there initial line up a few years ago.

I think I may have to start a mag build but I really don't want alkalines since my old reliable (4d mag with led drop in) got siezed up. So it would have to have a sleeve or magazine for rechargables. I like primaries but this light I doubt will get good runtimes and its for fun. Any drop in reflector/Led combo for mags that can toss a beam?

Last edited:

Draz

Newly Enlightened
I have looked at those and own plenty of Malkoff's so I know they are top notch. I sorta forgot about the Hound dog when making this post, boredem rains supreme.

Whats everyones thoughts on the LX2, I heard this is a tight throwing light.

I pray everyday that we could get a M91 style drop in and power level in a thrower package somehow.

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
The LX2 is a good thrower but no spill and eclipsed by some of the hotter lights today if you ask me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican 8060LED is the only American made thrower I've laid hands on. I bought the Pelican 7060led it throw a tight beam over 100 feet. 200 feet, yes though I'm not into throwers so it's my shelf queen

MIKENC

Newly Enlightened
Im in the market for a thrower, specifically one that is a laser tight beam upto a couple hundred feet with little sidespill.

I don't mind a modded light but would prefer a turn key setup not exceding 150 bucks roughly as it would be a "play" light.

I got a C3 with a M61W for a bump in the night light, it will light up my entire yard perfectly but now I want something to hit houses wayy down the road:shakehead

I have looked into the fenix throwers and some Jetbeams but would rather stick with brands that I own. I have only ever bought one non american light and it was a fenix from there initial line up a few years ago.

I think I may have to start a mag build but I really don't want alkalines since my old reliable (4d mag with led drop in) got siezed up. So it would have to have a sleeve or magazine for rechargables. I like primaries but this light I doubt will get good runtimes and its for fun. Any drop in reflector/Led combo for mags that can toss a beam?

Streamlight Super Tac

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Malkoff Hound Dog XP-G will throw a useful beam for 250 yards(750 feet).

If you want longer than that, then go look at the Lambda Lights website for their "VaraPower 2000" Mag-Lite mods which put out about 2000 lumens with a de-domed LED that gives really a laser-like focus, and NO spill. Probably will throw further than you can see.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight supertac are good throwers too. Wasn't sure were they were built so I didn't mention it.
Seen a few threads in custom modified discussion about an aspheric lens for maglite d cell size lights.
Just say no to alkalines ;) use nimh or lithium cells (no leaks and they still have power a year from now)

The Varapower 2000 looks like alot of fun :D

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an E2DL which has the same beam as the LX2, and it throws very well considering the size of the head.

both the E2DL and LX2 are still great lights even though surefire is using a more dated XR-E. both lights produce about 250 OTF lumens.

the spill is wide and dim when compared to reflector based lights. but still very useable for close range.
the hotspot is wide when compared to reflector based lights of similar head size, but can still throw with the best of them.

I would say the lights are great medium range lights, that have excellent range. but the further out you go, the more the hotspot is dispersed. the hotspot gets very wide at distances further away. at a hundred feet, you can light up an entire big tree.

if you have seen any of the surefire TIR optics beams youll know what im talking about.

If you're only getting it for play, I think one of the larger XM-L throwers such as the catapult XML will do more than enough.
the build quality of the catapult is better than the olight or jetbeam offerings, I feel. simplier, and more rugged.
these will shoot out a massive amount of light, in a relatively smaller size, and lower price.
what i like about these bigger throwers is that, it puts alot more light on objects further away making it easier to see whats out there. at 200 feet, my E2DL will still light up an object, but its dim light, and hard to make out what im seeing. im also near-sighted. LOL so that doesnt help either.

but the malkoff hound dog is probably still the best option. just giving you more ideas, and thoughts. hehe