how important is single cell operation for you? 1AA vs 2AA NiMH formats.

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
EDIT: Ok, I'll take the EDC factor out of this question. For a flash light that is not for EDC (so something you leave in the shelf, or take camping), how do you decide between a 1AA and 2AA format? I guess I'm looking for factors that aren't related to the specific size constraints of EDCing.

Is it important for you not to have to worry about paring up same capacity AA NiMH's? For NiMH's, it's not dangerous to pair differently charged capacity cells, it just wears down on one of the cells right?

Or is runtime your biggest concern? The single AA now are so efficient and have long enough runtimes that for most tasks, you don't have to worry about stopping in the middle of a task to change batteries. Well, for 1.5 hours of high mode anyways...

Or are 2AA lights kind of like a handy extra battery holder. If you carry an extra battery for a 1AA light, it's easy to lose the battery.

What other things aren't I considering?

EDIT: I wanted to ignore size for EDC, but if size matters for just using it for work tasks, then it's totally relevant.

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Runtimes on a single cell are usually fine - I'd rarely need an hour on full in one go, and for most tasks I'd be on a lower setting so probably get at least 2 to 4 hours from one charge.

The main thing for me is indeed the size factor - I just find the 2xAA lights a bit long and unwieldy.

I have one favourite 2xAA (a budget light strangely enough) that is well-balanced, but in general I find the 1xAA or 2x123 format much more practical.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A 1xAA running a 14500 is usually as bright as a 2xAA, so the 2xAA's sole advantage is runtime; if you're pocket carrying, the 2xAA's much larger size offsets that advantage. Plus in an emergency situation, if all you can find is one AA battery, that's good enough for a 1xAA light.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
All other things being equal, runtime is king for most of my requirements.

I have never EDC'd (and probably never will) a 2xAA or 2x123 form factor. My EDC needs to be a single-cell format.

However, if you take EDC out of the requirement, I will pick a 2x(insert-your-battery-of-choice-here) everytime.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA lights are among my favorite. I edc a Quark AA R5, and love it mostly because it can run on a single Li-ion rechargeable 14500 generating 200 lumens. It's a little brighter than my Quark AA2 lights. So, for edc I go with the single cell, but when I take a trip hiking or camping or even just a vacations then I always carry my Quark AA2 lights with me simply for the improved runtimes. I don't want to be in the woods without really long runtimes available in my lights.

I consider my single AA lights and my single cr123 lights more for edc, and my 2xAA lights & 2xcr123 lights more for general use & more comfortable to hold. Even my single 18650 lights are more for general use since they are a little too big to edc. The only exception to this is my zebralight sc60 which is small enough for edc, but I still like the smaller quark AA better.

For my cars and my 72 hours emergency kit I have 2xAA lights. I do this for the longer runtimes so that we can be prepared for the unexpected (hopefully), and for the ease of getting AA batteries. I also use AA lithium batteries for these lights that are being stored for extended periods of time.

I have three young kids who like to play with our lights for long periods of time. I don't have to keep up with changing out batteries for them if they are running around with our Quark AA2 lights or our fenix LD20 (2xAA lights.)

For gifts I mostly give out 2xAA lights simply because they're perfect for general use, and the folks I give them to are not flashaholics. I love it when they say things like, "I can't believe how bright this thing is!"

sp5it

Enlightened
1AA powered from 14500 is great. That's why I bought Quark Mini AA Ti Q35B diode. This baby rocks.
Mike

Last edited:

Newuser01

Enlightened
Well, 1xAA format has enough run time. Has very very good throw for its size and lots of spill for say "emergencies". easy enough to carry with your keys or on a pocket clip. If you own any of the highly rated 1xAA lights, such as quark, fenix, etc - even after adding the extra premium they are really really bright. More so with Li-on batteries. Now my 2xAA lights are relegated to bed-side duty or glove box duty. Even 1x18650 lights are better sized to EDC!! I would still buy 2xAA lights for their run time + throw!! Just because...... :)

Have fun!
newuser

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the one cell for size.
I can get enough run time and output from a single cell AA light.
And the length of a 2AA light is just too long to carry for the run time advantage which I don't really need.
I'd rather carry a spare battery in the pocket if I need more run time.

On my larger lights, I don't mind alot of cells or the bulk associated with that, but if I'm carrying a bigger light, it's going to have CR123 batteries in it.

JohnJack

Newly Enlightened
The best format for EDC is a single AA with 14500 capability. Regulated 14500 light is as bright as a two AA light, it has less runtime but fits in a pocket much better. For long runtime and a more power I have 18650 cells and lights, that are roughly same size as 2AA but have 1.5 times more energy stored.
In my opinion, 2AA flashlights are for unenlightened people that need more than one AA can provide but are not ready yet to invest in Li-Ion cells and charger. Yes there are CR123 but they cost much more than primary AAs and there are no good rechargeables of that size, while NiMh AAs are widely available.

sunfire

Newly Enlightened
At work, I keep one 1AA light (38hrs runtime) w/ nimh lsd batt. and one spare batt. + one spare alkaline. When I need to recharge or clean the light, it's easy to carry home.
At home, I have one 2AA light (4hrs runtime) w/ nimh lsd batts. and spare alkalines... and spare flashlights. :D

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I have both 1AA and 2AA lights, I don't EDC 2AA lights due to their length.

That said, 2AA lights are easier to grip and hold, especially during prolonged use outdoors in cold weather. I sometimes use a 2AA Inova X2 during nighttime walks and almost never use a 1AA light for walks due to shorter runtime and being harder to hold over a long period.

mrpink

Newly Enlightened
2 X AA are always a bonus to carry when i wear a jacket.....in the summer theres no way im edcing a 2xaa but in winter you got options.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Eneloops in my AA and AAA battery lights, which I have around the house and in my car. For EDC I use RCR123. I try to keep my li-ions fully charged (not all the way, around 4.1-4.15v) to prolong their life and are so they are ready to go for EDC. Around the house with the AA lights I don't have to worry about over discharging the batteries if I use them as candles, leave them on, or let someone else use them (but I do mark and keep my cells matched). If I need both hands I find that I can tail stand or just tuck the light between my head and shoulder, which is more difficult with a single AA light. I prefer the 2aa body over the 1aa for some reason with the Quark tacticals.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty much the same as the rest of you guys... For EDC I prefer 1xAA because of the size. My primary EDC is a ZL SC50w+ and my backup/alternate is a Quark AA set to turbo; I run 14500's in both as I don't usually need more runtime for EDC use than that and they give more output.

When I'm doing something active like camping or walking the dog or biking, that specifically requires a light as part of the activity, I go with a floody headlamp like my ZL H51w or my Spark ST5-125OW, paired with a small throwy light like my Jet-3 Pro ST with an 18650. I rarely use 2xAA lights anymore, and the ones I do still have are either in the family bugout bag or with the camping supplies. I generally use primaries rather than li-ions or nimh's for them as those are usually times where I don't have a charger handy and I want to be better able to get more cells for them if I need.

In short, I only use 2xAA lights when I'm in a situation where it would be impractical to use any kind of rechargeable. (I am planning on getting a Solarfilm packable recharger though for camping and emergency prep, but that will only mean I'll be free from depending on primaries then.)

Last edited:

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
It's interesting that most people still fall back on size when deciding between 1AA or 2AA. The logistics of keeping batteries in pairs isn't too big a concern for most?

One thing I didn't think about before...if I only could scrounge one battery, I can use a 1AA light, but not a 2AA light.

yowzer

Enlightened
It's interesting that most people still fall back on size when deciding between 1AA or 2AA. The logistics of keeping batteries in pairs isn't too big a concern for most?

Not for me. I periodically test the capacity of my eneloops, and they're all within ~100 mahs of each other, and get recharged long before they get down enough where that difference will matter.

For a long time, I tried to stick with only AA or AAA powered lights to keep things simple (Most of my battery powered electronics work on one of the two, and fewer battery types to keep track of makes life easier), but I've been branching out a bit and now have some CR123 lights. For EDC purposes, a small single AA light is great. I like the longer multicell lights for use outdoors at night, where the light's likely to be on for a lot longer. Extra run time, larger easier to hold, plenty bright enough most of the time.

liquidsix

Enlightened
Pocketability aside, why I choose AA over 2AA: Most 2AAs lights are absolutely ugly to me, and don't look ergonomical at all. It's that simple. Most of them follow this trend where the body diameter gets narrower and narrower from head to tailcap and its horrendous IMO. I like the quark 2AA, it doesn't do that, but it's a rare breed.

Yes I know my response is totally not practical.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I have another reason for wanting my EDC to be a single cell - because my BACKUP to my EDC is being carried as well most the time. Battery dies? I go for the backup rather than swap cells, unless I need to get both lights going right then...

So for me to EDC a two cell light means a lot more size and weight. Not to mention I usually do have a third flashlight which happens to be a two cell - it's my "every NIGHT carry" that happens to end up with me a lot in the daytime too...

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer single cell only in my AA lights. They're much lighter and easier to carry. I currently use a Zebralight SC51 and Jetbeam PA01, both single-cell lights.