Help me decide between Sunwayman V10R and Jetbeam RRT0

DimmerD

Enlightened
Both are variable brightness which is why I want 1. I like the JB RRT0 but heard the adjustment ring is a little loose. Also heard it doesn't like Energizer CR123's, they cause it to light up dim due to an internal low resistance of that battery. Leaving it on while dim for a minute, then ramping it up is supposed to work okay though. I like that it's a tad brighter than the V10R, but I don't like that it is larger.
Haven't heard anything bad about the V10R and it is a bit shorter which I like, whatever I choose will be my new EDC. I will only be using primary CR123's so the fact that they can do AA's doesn't excite me, not does the use of rechargables. RRT0 is a bit more expensive but not that much. I like the warmer beam of the RRT0 plus it's a tad floodier which I like. Looks Like I am leaning towards the RRT0, I heard the new S2 emitter is nicer than the older one, r5 maybe?

Any thoughts guys? Oh yeah, and doing the CPF thing of just getting both isn't an option, I have a wife and she wears the other half of my pants!:huh:

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
I have both of these lights, and they are both excellant, so whichever you choose, I'm sure you will be happy. I prefer the Jetbeam, because of what you said- it is brighter. It also has the option of the smooth or orange peel reflector. I have the OP. But you are right that the Sunwayman does have other advantages, such as the compact size, and the control ring has a smoother feel, than that of the Jetbeam. Go to the http://goiinggear.com site and have a look at the Jetbeam RRT-0 video review, where they compare these two lights and the Nitecore IFE-1.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I had one of the earlier release RRT-0's at the same time as an SR-3, followed by a couple Ti TC-R2's and now have an IFE1 and a Ti V10R. My favorite of all of them is the V10R and my only misgiving about it is the low not going down as far as the TC-R2, which was more bulky than I cared for.

I'd also prefer a warm tint and will eventually have it modded, but even being a warm tint fan, find the beam pattern to be so excellent that it's been permanently with me ever since arriving in the mail, a boast that few of my other lights can make.

Aside from the aforementioned beam pattern, I find the clicky to be among the best, which combined with the best ring control I've had, other than possibly the one on my Titan, coupled with the compact dimensions and excellent feel in-hand, I think of the V10R as a light you would be very happy with. Even though I reach for my Clicky the most, I love to find reasons to get the V10R out and stood along the runway last night just admiring it's smoothness of rotation and the perfection of the beam pattern.

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
I have v10r ti, tcr2 and r5 rrt-0
I would choose the v10r anyday over the others. All 3 are SUPERB lights, but i like the solid feel of the sunway clickie, the solid short turn of the control ring and the compact size... I just ordered the aa extender for it too whenever it come in from across the sea to give me an AA option with it too...
My .02

DimmerD

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I am still torn between these 2 and can't decide, I just may have to get both! Shh, don't tell the wife what I am up to!

DimmerD

Enlightened
I cant comment as I am a "primaries only" guy.
EDIT: The working voltage of that light: 0.9~4.2V so I thing RCR will work.

Last edited:

ienov

Newly Enlightened
I know that it's supposed to work but i read about some problems with RCR's,is there anyone with some experience with them?

RobME

Newly Enlightened
Just to add a few points... The RRT-0's control ring isn't loose at all. It's very smooth, stable & easy to turn. (Contrasted for example, to a very poorly done, loose & sloopy control ring on an IFE1). The RRT-0 is brighter than the V10R (the difference may not be important to you), and it has significantly lower lows. It has a strobe and a hidden SOS function. It is larger but (as you know) has the versatility to run AA's in a pinch.

The V10R is built like a brick. The control ring has an absolutely hydraulic feel to it. Very very smooth, but the grip (feel) to engage it, is less than positive, by this I mean... that when actuating the ring, one's fingers aren't always sure they're in exactly the right place to do the turning (I'm probably not explaining this well-sorry). It's a minor issue. The V10R has no strobe or SOS (may not matter), but it's compact size and solid build quality make up for a lot.

I found the tint on both of these lights to be similar, definitely not cool, but I wouldn't call it warm either. Tough choice which one.

Flucero28

Enlightened
Either will work fine with CR123 primaries, and have similar outputs on high.

RRT-0 strongpoints:

-From what I have seen the RRT-0 does have a much lower low.
-The RRT-0 will also offer more options regarding pocket clips. The stock one that comes with the light, or the titanium clip that retailers sell for the new nitecores. I highly recommend the latter, as the light has the screw holes already in place for it. The V10R leaves much to be desired in regards to its pocket clip.
-The RRT-0 has a SS bezel to protect the lens, and for better appearance.
-Choice of SMO or OP reflector.

V10R strongpoints:

-Smaller size, easier for EDC.
-Perfect amount of resistance to control ring. Despite the RRT-0 having a smooth ring, it was too easy to turn for my tastes. It also caused the ring setting to change while in my pocket.
-Less ring travel to select output 1/2 turn from min to max making it easier for one handed operation.
-No hidden strobe or SOS modes to accidentally trigger when selecting lowest output causing your night vision to go :poof:
-V10R is a bit cheaper.

Hope this helps some.

DimmerD

Enlightened
Thanks for the opinions guys, Jetbeam should be here tomorrow. Only had the S2 version so I am hoping it's not a bit green as some have said. Sunwayman is fairly new so I want to wait and see how they hold up, they seem to be nicely built though. Don't own any Jetbeam's so this will be my first, anxious to see what one looks/feels like. I live in the woods down past a couple of deer camps so it's pretty dark around here at night, can't wait!

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the opinions guys, Jetbeam should be here tomorrow. Only had the S2 version so I am hoping it's not a bit green as some have said. Sunwayman is fairly new so I want to wait and see how they hold up, they seem to be nicely built though. Don't own any Jetbeam's so this will be my first, anxious to see what one looks/feels like. I live in the woods down past a couple of deer camps so it's pretty dark around here at night, can't wait!

Congratulations, on your selection. I purchased my first Jetbeam, the RRT-0 with the S2 emitter, about 2 weeks ago from Bug Out USA, and there is no green tint with my light. Good Luck.

DimmerD

Enlightened
Well it's here and it isn't green! It does appear a bit warmer at lower settings and at higher settings it is white. The low mode doesn't seem so low ro me, especially compared to my Titan T1A. I can look directly at the LED on the T1A on low but it's too bright to do that on the RRT0. Control ring is nice and smooth, not loose feeling as some have said. It doesn't feel like it would change while in the pocket. Only thing I don't like is the low not going low enough. Instructions are for the R5 version which says 5 levels of brightness. A lower low mode can be accessed by turning to low, then quickly turning higher then lower again. I think those instructions were for the 5 level brightness models as it doesn't seem to have any effect on the variable brightness one I have. And it does tailstand properly too. Will have to wait till dark to finish playing around with my new toy...err torch.

Doug

Enlightened
I have a RRT-0 R5 and a V10R on the way.... I already have 2 HDS Rotaries, and they are fantastic!

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
I have a RRT-0 R5 and a V10R on the way.... I already have 2 HDS Rotaries, and they are fantastic!

It will be interesting to hear what you think of both lights... and which you prefer after comparing, and playing with them some.