Share your homemade potting recipes

Lolaralph

Enlightened
I need to pot some P60 drop ins, I ordered fujik from DX, it's been two weeks and it still hasn't shipped so I'm getting impatient, I ordered alumina oxide from the sandwich shoppe, now what do I do what kind of epoxy and in what proportions
Thanks

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it's not home made but I just got some thermally conductive potting/encapsulating compound made by MG Chemicals. I used it for the first time last night and is curing as I type this. It's not cheap but by volume it's cheaper than AA.

IMAG0155.jpg

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to pot some P60 drop ins, I ordered fujik from DX, it's been two weeks and it still hasn't shipped so I'm getting impatient, I ordered alumina oxide from the sandwich shoppe, now what do I do what kind of epoxy and in what proportions
Thanks

I use Devcon 30 minute epoxy with about 50% alumina oxide by volume. (It looks like a lot, but mixes right in.) It should turn an even grey color, and be smooth when fully mixed. The 30 minute cure time allows the epoxy to self-level, and form a nice even surface. (The same method works well for making glow epoxy.) Do not try this with 5 minute epoxy.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
I recently did some tests with an epoxy thats about 60%~70% in weight graphite powder and its really nice stuff. Does conduct electricity tho so you dont want to use that on ciruitry....

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
fujik works fine but I'd like to get some black silicon staff seen in the potting of HID ballasts, anyone know where to get some ? They are rubbery, not as hard as Expoxy potting material & can be un potted in case of post potting problems.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently un-potted a number of lights to exchange drivers and emitters. When first modding these lights I used hard epoxy mixed with al-oxide et al. Very hard to un-pot, I recommend using something flexible that's easier to remove the day you decide to change the driver and emitter.