Needed: Brightest bulb for Maglite 6C!!!

Squid

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone recommend a bulb for my newly acquired Mag 6C? I picked one up recently, and am looking for the brightest bulb option available.

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
HPR51 It's a 5-cell halogen bulb by Energizer. They may be hard to come by now because they are discontinued, so if you can't find it then I would suggest a Krypton 5-cell bulb from Radioshack (I'm not sure of the number but it would be KPR something. Overdriving the 5-cell bulb will cut it's life down a bit, but the output is well worth it.

Raven

Enlightened
Not to derail this thread, but am I the only torch collector that would love to see a Mag Lite 6C converted to LED. I really think Mag Lite is missing out on some major profits by not offering LED lamp replacements.

Raven

Raven

Enlightened
Instead of looking for a specific brand, what specs would the bulb need to be? That way I could just write it down, and give it to the guy at radio shack )

Would this bulb be the same, regardless of what type of mag lite I was upgrading?

I only ask this, because I have a 6c, 3c, and 2c.

Thanks everyone - sorry to be a pain, but everything you say after the word voltage, all tends to blur together )

Raven

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
2C = 2.4 volts 0.5 amps bulb +/- 0.1 amps
3C = 3.6 volts 0.7 amps bulb +/- 0.2 amps
6C = 6.0 volts 1.0 amps bulb +/- 0.2 amps

I think that's just about it.

Raven

Enlightened
Thanks for the info Nerd ) I'm curious though - if the 6c bulbs all have 6.0 volts, then why would they be any better than the standard bulb that comes with the light?

Raven

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You see, battery voltage drops with use. So your new 1.5 volts alkaline battery will drop to 1.3 and 1.2 and stay there for a while, and drop some more. 6 x 1.2 = 7.2...

HEY! Why did I put 6 volts?!!! Opps.... the info for the 2C and 3C are correct. But for the 6C, get a 7.2 volts bulb at 1 amps or so. Should be so bright that you will run screaming when you look at it.

Raven

Enlightened
Ah and the second part of this, is that a higher voltage bulb drains batteries faster correct?

Raven

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My 5cell Brinkmann 5-3-2 is holding 6 C cells. I'm driving a 5 cell WhiteStar bulb and that light is pretty bright.

After driving a 2 cell bulb with 3 cells the overdrive ratio gets smaller, so a 5 cell driven by 6 Cs should last awhile too.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Raven:
Ah and the second part of this, is that a higher voltage bulb drains batteries faster correct?

Raven
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah. Of course you can go with the 6 volt bulb. But it won't last that long (bulb life). It should be brighter for a longer period of time though.

Raven

Enlightened
So basically if you overdrive a bulb, by putting it in a bigger torch, you not only drain the batteries faster, but also the bulb itself.

Thanks

Raven

Danski

Newly Enlightened
just a thought.. a P90 bulb from Surefire is designed for their 3 x 123A flashlights, right? That's 9V, which is the same as 6C cell batteries. I wonder if there's a way to incorporate a P90 bulb into a 6C Maglite? I, too, have a 6C Mag (and a spare P90 bulb), and would be interested to know if this is possible? Am not too familiar with voltages, milliamperes, draw, etc. so I don't know if it'll work or not. Making the P90 fit inside the Maglite is another thing. Looks impossible to mate together.

Replay

Newly Enlightened
I just put a 3D Whitestar Krypton bulb in a 4D Mag Lite. It is a lot brighter, not sure how long it will last. Anyone have any better bulb ideas to try for the 4D Mag Lite?
I need a new lens too, found one on Mage Lite's dealer sites, the glass lens was cheap enough, but $4 shipping was the killer :/ I can't seem to find a local store that has any lens. My 10 yr old plastic lens isn't quite the same anymore
Thanks

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are great! Just replaced the totally scratched stock lenses in my old 6C and 4D Mags with the Borofloat and what a difference!

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the Mega 6 should be the brightest since it's 30 watts of LEDs? Don't use alkalines in this mode though... It will fail miserably... alkaline batteries can't provide enough power.