Will 2C Maglite hold 3 aa batteries

elseis66

Newly Enlightened
I am wanting to build a 2C maglite with 3 AA eneloops and put some type of LED Drop-in in it. Will a 2C mag hold 3 aa's and what would you guys recomend for a good LED replacemint lamp. I am wanting something simple like a potted upgrade. Does Terralux make one that will run pretty bright off of 3 eneloops? I have a great spacer system I use for C or D to aa maglite conversion that I make out of sprinkler parts.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if you can find one of those short extensions used for the AW's old black C cells it might just work (with the spring removed and one battery sticking into the tailcap). Unfortunately, I seem to've mislaid my 2C Mag61, so I can't verify it.

Mettee

Enlightened
I will measure when I get home today, I think it can be done with a special tail cap spring and the new style switches. I will confirm.

arek98

Enlightened
Maybe it will hold 3 sub-c batteries (they are 23mm diameter, 43mm long). That would be interesting. They are smaller than C yet they have similar capacity (up to 5000mAh)

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it will hold 3 sub-c batteries (they are 22mm diameter, 43mm long). That would be interesting. They are smaller than C yet they have similar capacity (up to 5000mAh)

possible, it has been done.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wanting to build a 2C maglite with 3 AA eneloops and put some type of LED Drop-in in it. Will a 2C mag hold 3 aa's and what would you guys recomend for a good LED replacemint lamp. I am wanting something simple like a potted upgrade. Does Terralux make one that will run pretty bright off of 3 eneloops? I have a great spacer system I use for C or D to aa maglite conversion that I make out of sprinkler parts.

you making things more complicated than they should be, 3x aa nimh cells have about as much energy as 1 18650, use that, or get AW extender (iirc 13$ from lighthound) and use protected 2 18650.
and if you use driver with programable cut off point, no need for extender, use 2 unprotected 18650 .

Last edited:

LJMN

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff has a great drop-in with xpg that has a small hot spot for close to 1000 ft reach when looking out in the pasture and yet the wide spill gives good flood around a yard in town. I put two C cells in it that were Radio Shack close outs last year. The battery barely shows any loss of light being used occassionaly for the last 6 months. Before I found the C Cells cheap I used a stubby piece of garden hose with 2 Nimh AAs to power it. Never did any run time tests just general use around the house and yard playing with it. Plus most of your cheap chargers charge two batteries at a time not two. Eventually I plan on getting a couple large capacity Nimh C Cells of Ebay and a charger for C Cells. It would be nice to have a charging system/charging jack built in the light then it would be the perfect night watchman light.

elseis66

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff has a great drop-in with xpg that has a small hot spot for close to 1000 ft reach when looking out in the pasture and yet the wide spill gives good flood around a yard in town. I put two C cells in it that were Radio Shack close outs last year. The battery barely shows any loss of light being used occassionaly for the last 6 months. Before I found the C Cells cheap I used a stubby piece of garden hose with 2 Nimh AAs to power it. Never did any run time tests just general use around the house and yard playing with it. Plus most of your cheap chargers charge two batteries at a time not two. Eventually I plan on getting a couple large capacity Nimh C Cells of Ebay and a charger for C Cells. It would be nice to have a charging system/charging jack built in the light then it would be the perfect night watchman light.
this package sounds like a winner! I can't use any of the lion suggestions as I don't have time to moniter them while they are charging and don't trust them to charge unmonitered. Do you have a part # for the malkoff drop in?