Malkoff on 3 x AA question

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will a malkoff module continue to produce light on 3 x depleted AA primary 1.2v cells until the cells are completely dead, or will it cut off at some lower voltage level?

if it continues to produce light, why doesnt it cut off?

shane45_1911

Enlightened
Assuming you are talking about an M61, it will drop out of regulation at 3.4V. If your AA batteries are already weak, then voltage will already be below 3.4V, and the light will run on direct drive with continual decrease in brightness until your batteries are completely exhausted.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
That's one of the best features of the Malkoffs IMO. Many of the 'cheapie' dropins have a low-voltage cutout :(, but the Malkoffs can run until the very end of cell capacity - perfect for emergency use w/ primary cells.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's one of the best features of the Malkoffs IMO. Many of the 'cheapie' dropins have a low-voltage cutout :(, but the Malkoffs can run until the very end of cell capacity - perfect for emergency use w/ primary cells.

but why? whats the difference in the way they are made?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Kestrel said, the difference is the Malkoff modules don't have a low-voltage cutout circuit. They just run until the batteries are completely spent.

i understand that,

im asking specifically about the parts inside the module that are different to other modules, if there is no *low voltage cutoff circuit*

what is there?

shane45_1911

Enlightened
what is there?

Strawberry jelly.

But I could be mistaken. I have never had the guts to dig past all the potting to find out what makes a Malkoff, a Malkoff. But whatever is there is going to make the module run for a very long time, as they are very efficient.

You have two options - open one up yourself and let me know about the jelly. Or call/email Gene and he may be very happy to explain why his modules are so good. :)

However, there is a chance that his circuitry is highly-guarded proprietary information. I suspect that it is just good solid engineering with careful attention paid to the assembly, with top-notch componentry. No secrets, no magic.

It's the same as any other P60/D26 drop-in. Except better. And no low voltage cutout. And it has strawberry jelly. Who doesn't love strawberry jelly???

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
guess ill keep a eye on the mp then............now where is my peanut butter?