Do Inova Microlights Still Self-Activate?

WriteAway

Newly Enlightened
Has Inova/NiteIze ever updated the Inova Microlight to correct the issue of the lights self-activating in users' pockets? Whatever it's cause, static electricity, a sensitive switch, or other reason, do current Microlights still do this? Does anyone have any real world experience with newer versions to share before I look at the many other keychain light choices out there instead?

pyro

Enlightened
They can be set to momentary mode by multiple fast clicks. Then press for ~3 seconds to get back to normal mode.

WriteAway

Newly Enlightened
They can be set to momentary mode by multiple fast clicks. Then press for ~3 seconds to get back to normal mode.

That never solved the problem with my own Microlight. Set to momentary mode, carry the light for less than a day in a pocket, and it comes right back on. I really like the light except for that issue, which makes it useless for EDC. I just want to find out if it's been corrected before I get a Photon or other similar format pocket light to replace it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
the issue is static electricity for sure. I got two of them years ago (green LEDs) and was pleased that you can easily swap out the LEDs with white ones and they work but when someone told me of the issue I tried rubbing one on a cordory jacket and it came on. I won't carry one in a pocket now but I would say they would probably be acceptable attached to a jacket or bag so you can see when they are turned on accidentally.

WriteAway

Newly Enlightened
the issue is static electricity for sure. I got two of them years ago (green LEDs) and was pleased that you can easily swap out the LEDs with white ones and they work but when someone told me of the issue I tried rubbing one on a cordory jacket and it came on. I won't carry one in a pocket now but I would say they would probably be acceptable attached to a jacket or bag so you can see when they are turned on accidentally.

I had read here that static was a possible cause. Since I almost always carry mine in my pants pocket three out of the four seasons, I was hoping that a solution had been found and implemented. Next step I guess is to try to contact Inova/NiteIze directly, and ask there. I like the lights, but now I'll shop the Photons and others for my keychain light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I had read here that static was a possible cause. Since I almost always carry mine in my pants pocket three out of the four seasons, I was hoping that a solution had been found and implemented. Next step I guess is to try to contact Inova/NiteIze directly, and ask there. I like the lights, but now I'll shop the Photons and others for my keychain light.

From my test it is the cause of my lights. I rubbed the non switch side of the light and it came on. I think I even put some paper insulation in the light and it didn't help apparently the plastic is conducting the electricity and the circuitry is sensitive to it.
If they fix the problem I would probably want another one due to the ease up upgrading the LEDs in them. Just pop the insides out, pull the LED out and cut off a new LED the same lead length, insert the right polarity and reassemble.

WriteAway

Newly Enlightened
Maybe there will be an update to the Microlight in the future to correct this. I have read a few comments that even the switches on some Photons can be tripped on in one's pocket. That's a hazard of the format, I guess. I need to do more research before I buy the next one. Thanks for the input everyone.