Problem with new JetBeam BA20

MuZI

Newly Enlightened
I recently just purchased a Jetbeam BA-20. It arrived today but it seems to be acting a tad weird. When I turn the flashlight off and point the front side down it turns on... If I shake it.. it turns on until I point the front side back up. Is this supposed to be some nifty survival feature or is there probably a defect in the flashlight?

mrlysle

Enlightened
Sounds like something's amiss for sure. I don't have that model to be able to help you, sorry. You might want to call the dealer you bought it from and ask them. It might be something really simple. Wish I knew more to help you. Sounds like maybe something loose/unscrewed in the tailcap.

MuZI

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like something's amiss for sure. I don't have that model to be able to help you, sorry. You might want to call the dealer you bought it from and ask them. It might be something really simple. Wish I knew more to help you. Sounds like maybe something loose/unscrewed in the tailcap.

I suppose you're right. When I shake the light I can hear something in there creating a noise like it's moving around...

Sucks as I just received this light today and was happy to use it tonight.

mrlysle

Enlightened
I suppose you're right. When I shake the light I can hear something in there creating a noise like it's moving around...

Yes it's a bummer when you get one DOA or with problems, but it happens I guess. Have you unscrewed the tailcap and checked it? What batteries are you using?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
So it's supposed to turn on without me pressing the button for it to turn on?

Must be some kind of auto mode. I read the new JetBeam "B" lineup was geared for the everyday user, the auto mode must be what they were talking about. Which direction do you usually point your light when you use it? Up to the sky, or down to the dark ground? If you drop your light in the dark, it will shake and turn on letting you know where it is. Sounds very innovative to me.

mrlysle

Enlightened
I can't find anywhere what you are talking about. Auto mode? Jetbeam advertises the "Agility switch system", but I was of the understanding that simply means "tighten the head for high, loosen the head for low". I don't see any mention anywhere, that you can "shake" this light to turn it on, or that it will turn on by itself if dropped.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Must be some kind of auto mode. I read the new JetBeam "B" lineup was geared for the everyday user, the auto mode must be what they were talking about. Which direction do you usually point your light when you use it? Up to the sky, or down to the dark ground? If you drop your light in the dark, it will shake and turn on letting you know where it is. Sounds very innovative to me.

I really don't think you know what u are talking about. Even if it were supposed to do that, it would be a lame feature for sure. What about if u have to run, or are out for a jog. Does that mean the light is supposed to be turning on and off (wasting battery) for sake of innovation. I think not. Somethings definitely amiss. I would send it back if it was mine.
Or try to tinker a little to see if it could be a simple remedy.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
" sounds like normal operation to me" originally posted by Michaelmcgo

What kind of lights do u own?? I guess ur lights posses this defect.....eh.um I mean innovation ?

Last edited:

Craig K

Enlightened
michaelmcgo what are you talking about? There is no way this is normal operation for this flashlight.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Well I guess I didn't see the humor in it. :shakehead When someone has a problem, and askes for help on this forum, they usually get it, and if someone does make a joke about it, they usually convey the fact that they were joking in some way. I thought he was serious. Wish I could help the OP, but I'm not familiar with this new Jetbeam. It's does sound faulty however and it would benefit everyone here to ultimately find out what the problem is. Good luck to MuZI.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
There is something wrong with the light. For it to come on without the tailcap being clicked means there is a short somewhere, bypassing the switch internals. There should also be no rattle when fully assembled.

Before returning, try adjusting the switch retaining ring in the tailcap (i.e. loosen then tighten it). There are two small indents in the ring. Snap-ring pliers or fine-tip needle-nose pliers work best to adjust, but a sturdy set of tweezers (or sometimes just a paper clip unfolded) may due to the job. Note the Backup series uses reverse threading, so turn counterclockwise to tighten, clockwise to loosen.

If that doesn't help, you likely have a defective switch and need to RMA. Good luck.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Well I guess I didn't see the humor in it. :shakehead When someone has a problem, and askes for help on this forum, they usually get it, and if someone does make a joke about it, they usually convey the fact that they were joking in some way. I thought he was serious. Wish I could help the OP, but I'm not familiar with this new Jetbeam. It's does sound faulty however and it would benefit everyone here to ultimately find out what the problem is. Good luck to MuZI.
It was pretty obvious to me that he was kidding....

Zendude

Enlightened

Definitely sounds like a bum switch to me(some loose metal making intermittent contact). Take the tail cap off and shake it, I'll bet you'll hear that noise. Contact the dealer to see if they'll send you another switch. It looks like it has a standard retaining ring inside that can be removed with needle nose pliers.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

edit: Doh! That's what I get for not refreshing the page.:ohgeez: Selfbuilt beat me to it!:bow:

Last edited:

Nicrod

Flashaholic
It was pretty obvious to me that he was kidding....

Well one thing is obvious for sure; some people have sick senses of humor. And where one moron is there is usually
At least one more ( close by) but for the rest of us who are mature adults don't screw around and give the guy a straight up answer. Or at least like mrlysle said " convey the fact that thy are kidding"
All they end uP doing is adding confusion!!

Last edited: