LED LIGHT HELP

Lightman2

Enlightened
So help me guys as I am in New Zealand without the ability to walk into a place like goinggear and seeing all these lights albiet you canot try them out. I am looking at a few EDC lights and a larger duty type light. I already have a HX120 from Insight which runs off 1 x 123 and it is brilliantly bright but for the small lights I have been considering the following. Let me know what you think. Fenix LD01 AAA, Preon 2 R5 2 x AAA, Fenix LD10 1 x AA, Fenix LD20 XPG R5 2 x AA, Fenix TK21 US (no videos on these yet by goingear) 2 x 123's. If I am going wrong anywhere let me know. Brightness/Throw is what I want predominantly and after than run time and smallness. My duty light will be the Fenix TK50

Nicrod

Flashaholic
I would go with the preon 2 out of ur list. Only the s2 is in stock currently so you'll have to wait to get an r5 till they sell out of the s2. Instead of the fenix ld10, I would recommend the quark AA. Better light IMO and u get more/better accessories in the box including a battery to get u lit up as soon as it arrives. I love that about 4sevens.

Last edited:

Av8tor

Newly Enlightened
For my two cents I love my Fenix LD01. With the pocket clip I literally forget that I have it on but it's so useful I never leave home without it. I also really like that it starts up in medium mode which is usually what I want to use anyway. The LD10 is also my go-to AA light since the throw and build is excellent for the size. I do like the super low mode of the quark but I like the higher max output of the Fenix for most of my uses. If you're planning on using the higher voltage lithiums though you might want to look closer at the quark. Both are really good manufacturers.

Never looked at the TK21 personally because I think it's a little big for its class.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightness/Throw is what I want predominantly and after than run time and smallness. My duty light will be the Fenix TK50

The problem I see is that you just mentioned a bunch of flood lights. If you want some throw, you don't want any of those mentioned.
Also, you mentioned lights that use all different types of batteries. Do you have a preference?
You also mentioned lights of all different sizes. What size are you looking for?
Lastly, you may want a forward clicky as opposed to a reverse clicky if you are going to use it on duty. Do you have a preference there?

Nicrod

Flashaholic
For my two cents I love my Fenix LD01. With the pocket clip I literally forget that I have it on but it's so useful I never leave home without it. I also really like that it starts up in medium mode which is usually what I want to use anyway. The LD10 is also my go-to AA light since the throw and build is excellent for the size. I do like the super low mode of the quark but I like the higher max output of the Fenix for most of my uses. If you're planning on using the higher voltage lithiums though you might want to look closer at the quark. Both are really good manufacturers.

Never looked at the TK21 personally because I think it's a little big for its class.

+1 the ld10 on Lithiums would lose all low level functions. But the quarks love to eat lithiums. It's their favorite!