Nitecore primer, please?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have been considering a purchase of one of the piston drive AA Nitecores, but honestly can't make sense of the specifics of the various models, despite researching things both here and on their website.

If someone could BRIEFLY lay out the critical differences between the D10, D11, D11.2, D10 Tribute, E11, EX11, V.1, V.2, etc, etc, or explain the numbering scheme, I would really appreciate it....

And I thought Peak were hard to figure out !?!

Basically, I would like ramping UI, last-used-output memory, and as little parasitic drain as possible. No blinky strobe modes (or at least well hidden). Prefer throw over flood, brighter is better. Shortcuts to min/max, ehh, not sure I need them.

Thanks much!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get the D11.2 because the D10 is discontinued and would need to be bought second hand and the D11 had some parasitic drain. The Nitecore D11 is the third generation of the single cell AA light

Ex10, ex11, and Ex11.2 are the first second and third generation or the single cr123 battery light.

rich297

Newly Enlightened
I have been considering a purchase of one of the piston drive AA Nitecores, but honestly can't make sense of the specifics of the various models, despite researching things both here and on their website.

If someone could BRIEFLY lay out the critical differences between the D10, D11, D11.2, D10 Tribute, E11, EX11, V.1, V.2, etc, etc, or explain the numbering scheme, I would really appreciate it....

And I thought Peak were hard to figure out !?!

Basically, I would like ramping UI, last-used-output memory, and as little parasitic drain as possible. No blinky strobe modes (or at least well hidden). Prefer throw over flood, brighter is better. Shortcuts to min/max, ehh, not sure I need them.

Thanks much!

The D11.2 will give you the features you want in the AA cell configuration. Same for the EX11.2 except for the cell, which is CR123.

Harry999

Enlightened
The D11.2 is my first PD design and I love it. I have the EX11.2 as well which is the CR123 version. Both have the features you want especially the lack of parasitic drain.

The D11.2 is the AA version and takes 14500 cells as well. It works very well on eneloops as well. I like both so much I have ordered spares.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

hatman

Enlightened
Harry and others who have both:
I wish I could get a model with the added length of the D11.2 and the increased brightness of the EX11.2.

Clip aside, which do you prefer?

Does one have better flood abilities than the other?

Thanks.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I appreciate all of the advice so far.

I guess I should have been able to figure out that "D" = AA and "E" = CR123 by myself, but thanks for pointing this out to me. (Could they have maybe used "A" for AA, and "C" for CR123? Naah, too easy.)

Also probably sensible that the latest release has the "best" features, so I'll probably start looking for a D11.2. :thumbsup:

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
I have the d10 and just ordered a d11.2, can't comment on the d11.2 yet but the d10 should have more throw. The xre in the d10 is rated about the same output and has a narrower beam. The spill on the d10 is nice and bright as well, just not super floody. Useful though.
p.s. The d10/d11 can also use the new craa 3v lithium primaries available if you want e output in a d body.

Last edited:

mrpink

Newly Enlightened
just got a d11.2 from lightjunction....i asked in the note if they could make sure the led is centered. the box looked like it was open and i checked it out and the led was not centered......second nitecore light that came with the LED not centered. it also had some scuffs on the 'bezel' area and scratches on the piston...i will be returning it. not too happy.

hatman

Enlightened
just got a d11.2 from lightjunction....i asked in the note if they could make sure the led is centered. the box looked like it was open and i checked it out and the led was not centered......second nitecore light that came with the LED not centered. it also had some scuffs on the 'bezel' area and scratches on the piston...i will be returning it. not too happy.

Thanks for sharing that.