Sunwayman Lights - need help choosing one, or several :)

tonkem

Enlightened
I currently own only Surefire lights. 2 E2L's, 2 E1L's, 1 E2L-AA, and am looking to get a light with a lower low that uses AA batteries for use around the house. I currently use the E2L-aa for that task, but the supposed 3 lumens from the Surefire is more like 30 lumens. I have been looking at the M30A and M40A multiple AA lights because I like the power of them, but would likely not use them in the house(as the lumen output would still be too high to check on the kids at night, it's intended purpose), but it would be nice to have all that power, and I like the form and aesthetics of the light. I used to have a HDS High CRI light that fulfilled that task, but sold it, as I would have rather used a rechargeable AA, as I have recently purchased eneloops for use in my E2L-AA light, and have been very pleased with them.

The problem is looking at the sunwayman lights, there are so many models, so I have added them all to a spreadsheet to compare run times, and battery type, etc., and appear to be leaning toward the M20A or M10A for the house use, as they have exquisite runtime on low. But I really like the look and high output of the m30a and m40a.

Can anyone compare indoor shots on low, for the above mentioned lights with one another? Also any outdoor shots would be appreciated, as well. Also, any opinions, especially from owners, on how these lights stack up against the surefires(e series, in particular, durability, etc). I have been considering selling a few of my surefires, if these lights can replace them. Sunwayman's CR123 models have equal runtime with the surefires(some a bit better) on the med and low modes, higher output on high then the surefires, and that being a single 123 light(m10a) vs the 2 123 lights that I have. The new Xml t20c blows the e2l out of the water with over 400 lumens on high for 2.5 hours, 70 on medium for 35 hours, and 10 lumens for 200 hours, in a similar sized package.

I know the usual answer is get both, but I would really like a true comparison between the m30a, m40a, m10a, m20a, low modes.

Also, the m40a has a mc-e in it right now, but the manufacturer has already begun shipping the m40a in xm-l, any reason I should wait on that? Output is 100 lumens brighter on high, and 40 lumens brighter on medium, and 15 lumens brighter on low, but runtime suffers on low, runtime on high and medium actually improve :) I know the Mc-e has the donut hole, and I don't particularly care for that, but it appears to disappear on about 3-5 feet.

Hope I make some sense above, I am really just looking for owners opinions of the sunwayman lights they own, and how they use them, etc., and durability compared to surefire(if known).

Thanks..

Tony

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Also, the m40a has a mc-e in it right now, but the manufacturer has already begun shipping the m40a in xm-l, any reason I should wait on that? Output is 100 lumens brighter on high, and 40 lumens brighter on medium, and 15 lumens brighter on low, but runtime suffers on low, runtime on high and medium actually improve :)

Can you tell me where you got this info? I'm waiting on the M40A with XM-L also, but I haven't read anything as definitive as this. Thanks...

photophilic1

Newly Enlightened
I have the Sunwayman M20A and it's really made well I can tell you the quality is very good and it works great with NIMH rechargeables...I just got my M20C for EDC and am very happy with the quality and beam...I think the next light will be one of the 800 Lumen models maybe the 3 cell version in a few months.

tonkem

Enlightened

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Thanks, Tony, I appreciate that link. I'm glad I didn't break down and order the current version just yesterday...

tonkem

Enlightened
Thanks, Tony, I appreciate that link. I'm glad I didn't break down and order the current version just yesterday...

No problem. Be sure to post some impressions when you receive the new M40a, as I am on the fence about that one in Xml. And perhaps some beamshots. I am sure that goinggear will do a video, but any bit of info helps :)

Tony

Vinniec5

Enlightened
I have the M40A and many other Sunways but I really like this light 4AA NI-MH's and its a poor mans M6 or a SAR searchlight if you want it to be. quality and construction is top notch right up there with my M3LT in NITESUN duties. If you get the M40A order a cpl spare battery magazines too it makes it that much easier to carry spare cells ready to go. Mine is always avail in my go-bag with the M3LT and First-Light Tomahawk for backyard or road duty

tonkem

Enlightened
I have the M40A and many other Sunways but I really like this light 4AA NI-MH's and its a poor mans M6 or a SAR searchlight if you want it to be. quality and construction is top notch right up there with my M3LT in NITESUN duties. If you get the M40A order a cpl spare battery magazines too it makes it that much easier to carry spare cells ready to go. Mine is always avail in my go-bag with the M3LT and First-Light Tomahawk for backyard or road duty

Where do you order the spare magazine? How much are they?

Thanks. Tony

tonkem

Enlightened
I have the Sunwayman M20A and it's really made well I can tell you the quality is very good and it works great with NIMH rechargeables...I just got my M20C for EDC and am very happy with the quality and beam...I think the next light will be one of the 800 Lumen models maybe the 3 cell version in a few months.

How low is the low on the m20a vs the m20c?

Thanks.

Tony

Av8tor

Newly Enlightened
Any reason you haven't looked at the sunwayman V-series lights? For checking on my kid at night or just using a light in the same room as someone else I like an output below 1 lumen. If my light has more output than that (like on my fenix ld10) I have to shade it with my hand so I don't flood the room with light. The only thing that's stopped me from buying an M10R is that the low isn't low enough.

tonkem

Enlightened
Any reason you haven't looked at the sunwayman V-series lights? For checking on my kid at night or just using a light in the same room as someone else I like an output below 1 lumen. If my light has more output than that (like on my fenix ld10) I have to shade it with my hand so I don't flood the room with light. The only thing that's stopped me from buying an M10R is that the low isn't low enough.

Yes the runtime on low is more than half that of the m10a. (40hr vs 100hr). Seems the variable circuitry causes reduced runtime. I had a hds high cri that was rated at .07 lumens and that light could shine directly at the person, while sleeping, and not disturb. I sold it to get a comparable aa light with a low low and long runtime, since the hds used cr123 and did not want to mess with lithium rechargeables. Aa rechargeables are much safer. I have considered the v series and may still consider it, but runtime was my concern, compared to the other sunway lights in aa format.

Tony

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Where do you order the spare magazine? How much are they?

Thanks. Tony

MattK from batteryjunction.com got them for me, Truthfully I forget the price but i think they were $15-16 each. email MattK on here or batteryjunction.com he'll set you right up