Surefire 617 mods... convert to 3v and LED?

Josh-L

Newly Enlightened
Looking to get a Surefire dedicated foreend weaponlight for my Benelli. I can't afford a new one and even if I could I prefer the older version. Problem is none of the older ones are LED. I also will be cutting my barrel down shorter then the 6v light sticks out so I would like to convert it to 3v if possible so it doesn't extend past my barrel. Is this possible? The older units take the weird DL223C batteries or something like that instead of the regular batteries all my other Surefire lights take.

Josh-L

Newly Enlightened
Nobody knows how to convert it to led or if I can convert it to take different batts?

ARA

Enlightened
Hello and welcome to CPF

I have a Surefire forend for a Winchester Defender but it is a newer one so i am not familiar with the one you are referring to. Converting it to LED should be an easy affair of replacing the shock absorbing bezel and P60 dropin. You could also change the battery tube to accommodate the common CR123 batteries. An easier and cheaper fix would be to put a Solarforce L2M as the threads are compatible and retains the two battery 6 volt setup. Have a look at the following threads might be of interest to you.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?294037-Surefire-Shotgun-Weaponlight

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?244126-Help-choosing-Shotgun-light

Josh-L

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. There was lots of info in those threads. However, I didn't see anything about how to convert it to take the 123 batteries? I guess if I get the LM1...

http://www.surefire.com/LM1

... that will cover converting it to LED and to 3v but will it solve the battery issue? That LM1 is also pretty expensive but I guess it's worth it. I'd still be in this setup for less then a new 617.

Last edited:

ARA

Enlightened
Can you post some pics of the forend in discussion, might help understanding the problem.

Josh-L

Newly Enlightened
0b3af77b.jpg

It's an older version. It doesn't take cr123 batteries which I want to change if I can.

donn_

Flashaholic
When you say "It doesn't take CR123 batteries" do you mean they are too wide to fit in the tube? IIRC, the 223AC is the same diameter as the CR123, so they should fit, width-wise. If so, then all you need is a properly threaded adapter, with a bezel holding an LED drop-in.

Here's mine:

IMGP3631.jpg

It's a Ti VME/Malkoff bezel with an adapter to screw into the forend. It carries a Malkoff LED drop-in and a single CR123 cell. Works great and is very low profile on my Remington.

Josh-L

Newly Enlightened
I don't have it in hand yet to try the CR123 batts but from my research, and you can see in the picture, these older units used a DL223A battery.

donn_

Flashaholic
Here's what my adapter looks like:

forendadapter.jpg

It's simply threaded on the back to screw into the forend, and on the front to hold a C-Series sized bezel.

Josh-L

Newly Enlightened
Cool, thanks.

Where do I get one of those adaptors? Would that plus a KL4 head be cheaper then the LM1?

donn_

Flashaholic
Mirage_Man made mine, but you can go to any competent machinist. It's simply a matter of copying the threads on your existing weaponlight body, but doing it shorter. You could even use your existing Z32 bezel, with an LED drop-in instead of the P60 lamp assembly.

Josh-L

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks. I sent mirage_man an email. What's the best led replacement to use in my p60 head?

ARA

Enlightened
On a single CR123 or RCR123 battery you need to get a dropin which gives you a reasonable balance between output and runtime. I'd suggest the Malkoff M31W though i am not sure if it would run off the RCR123.

Edit: Yeah it wont run off the RCR123 but on a CR123 it should be fine

Last edited:

ARA

Enlightened
@Donn, that looks awesome. I need to set up something similar.

Latest posts