Jetbeam BC 40 or Fenix TK 35

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been considering that TK 35, Fenix toughnesss and 800 lumens. Today I saw a banner ad here at CPF:thumbsup: for the new Jetbeam BC 40. I get the impression from the Jetbeam AD that it throws more light than the TK 35. Which 2 x 18650 light to get???

mrlysle

Enlightened
I'd say go by which ever you like the looks of the best. Their probably close enough in actual output/beam profile it's gonna be aesthetics that makes your decision. Some of the guys say the TK35 has some rattles to it, due to some plastic parts, and the Jetbeam looks to be "slightly" better all aluminum built. I would like one or the other myself, but like you, I haven't made up my mind yet! Good luck with what ever you choose.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Don't forget to check out the UI of each. You may prefer the features of one or the other.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I couldn't resist any longer! I just ordered the JB BC40 for a few reasons.
1. $62.50 after discounts.
2. Dead simple UI
3. Smaller than the XM-L Maglite I just put together that cost me $58 in parts.
4. My first Jetbeam.

pageyjim

Enlightened
Well I couldn't resist any longer! I just ordered the JB BC40 for a few reasons.
2. Dead simple UI
4. My first Jetbeam.

LOL basically my same reasons too. Why does it have to be so ugly though?

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
3. Smaller than the XM-L Maglite I just put together that cost me $58 in parts.....

Do you have a thread on this build? I would love to see how you did this and what the specs are on the light now. I've been looking for a mag mod to do for a while now.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a thread on this build? I would love to see how you did this and what the specs are on the light now. I've been looking for a mag mod to do for a while now.
I don't have the equipment for testing but it's brighter than the Mag P7 build I did. I can PM you links to my parts list.

EDIT: No, I didn't do a build thread. They are all basically the same to do and are plentiful to find.

I sent you links to my parts list for my build.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
2. Dead simple UI
4. My first Jetbeam.
WOW! that is a compelling case for the Jetbeam at $63 it's at least $50 LESS than the TK 35!!!

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
That's comparing apples to oranges. If your talking after discounts than its about 30 less which I would gladly pay for the tk35

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's comparing apples to oranges. If your talking after discounts than its about 30 less which I would gladly pay for the tk35
I seriously thought about the TK35 too but I'm getting burnt out on "extra modes". The 130 lumen low and 830 high seemed like exactly what I needed.

IMO "throwers" if you will, should only have high.
If I want less output then I grab my RA Clicky/L1/MD2 or whichever light that's ALWAYS in my left front pocket.

BTW: You are correct, apples to apples is only $30 difference in price. That $30 is a 50% increase from a percentage standpoint though.

recDNA

Flashaholic
All the talk about the green tint in the TK35 rules it out for me. That's why I'm waiting to read a review of the Jetbeam. I also prefer a simple UI with no blinkie modes. The one addition I'd like to see is a removable diffuser like Eagletac gives you but even the T20C2 costs more than this Jetbeam.

SbFlashLightGuy

Newly Enlightened
All the talk about the green tint in the TK35 rules it out for me. That's why I'm waiting to read a review of the Jetbeam. I also prefer a simple UI with no blinkie modes. The one addition I'd like to see is a removable diffuser like Eagletac gives you but even the T20C2 costs more than this Jetbeam.

I have both the tk35 and bc40 there are the about the same brightness. If your worried about green tint go with the bc40 jetbeam is really good about there LEDs being the correct color. Look at me quick look on YouTube under SBFlashlightGuy

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the same dilemna as you are, since the BC40 came out, doubts about getting the Fenix TK35 arose. So here's a list of PRO's and CON's i compiled based on my own personal research:

Fenix TK35

Pro:
1. Handy
2. Many modes (incl. Strobe, SOS, Beacon)
3. Good Thrower and Flooder
4. Durable (one guy here in the threads uses it when snorkelling)

Con:
1. Tint lottery (only matters to those who use it in lower modes)
2. Not exactly cheap (about 100 US Dollars or so)
3. Odd shaped
4. Plastic boot (might crack if it hits bottom first)
5. Steel screws corrode (by the same guy who uses it for snorkelling)
6. Rattling sound in the mode switch (easily fixed by adding a double sided tape on one end and not removing the cover of the other end. This double sided tape (the 3M one, not the thin one) covers the slack of the mode button preventing it from rattling, the drawback only, you might bump the switch and it will easily change modes due to the absence of slack)
7. no SS Beizel (would have added a nice touch and more durability for times the light drops on its head)

JetBeam BC40

PRO:
1. Good Throw and Flood (based on the only video i saw from the Jetbeam Website with the Chinese dude)
2. Watertight (as shown in the video when it got dunked in a steam)
3. Cheap (almost half the price of the Fenix TK35)
4. Can be used as a defensive weapon (again, as per Chinese video)
5. JetBeam guaranteed quality (even if these are in the budget lines (B-series) it comes from a company known to make extremely high quality products)

CON:
1. Two modes (LOW and HIGH) For those who'd like to have more modes available, this aint for you. I find strobe very useful to ward off any aggressive animals i encounter at night. Beacon when I walk along the side of the road at night so passing cars wont sideswipe me. SOS for obvious reasons. :p
2. Fugly (Well to some it may look ugly with its thin shaft and bulging head, tadpole anyone?) but personally I dont mind using a light of this size, would have hoped it had an SS Beizel though coz as the demo said, it could be used in self-defense so it wouldnt hurt to have an SS Beizel to give it more OOMPH should you strike anyone/anything with its head.
3. Size. Careful consideration is needed if you plan to just throw this in your small pack, Big backpacks, no problem, but if youre packing light, you might have to hang this from your belt.
4. Dependability Now i add this as a CON at this point because this is relatively a new light, so not too many owners have given feedback about this unlike the Fenix TK35 that has been around for quite some time and there are more happy owners than those owners who hate it so that alone gives Fenix an advantage when it comes to dependability (or customer satisfaction if you will)

As you can see, it's still a toss up with no exact clear winner. But based on personal preferences, you reading this can come to your own conclusion what you gain or lose when you get one or the other.

For me, I'm still going for the one with more light modes coz for 40 US Dollars more, I have a flashlight that can do more than just illuminate. :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have both the tk35 and bc40 there are the about the same brightness. If your worried about green tint go with the bc40 jetbeam is really good about there LEDs being the correct color. Look at me quick look on YouTube under SBFlashlightGuy

Thanks for making the video comparison for us. The Jetbeam looked a little brighter to me as well as whiter. It would be nice to see each at 100 yards and 200 yards to judge throw better if you ever feel like it.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for making the video comparison for us. The Jetbeam looked a little brighter to me as well as whiter. It would be nice to see each at 100 yards and 200 yards to judge throw better if you ever feel like it.

would have been nice if there was a side by side comparison. well, at least there's no tint issues with the Jetbeam.

purelite

Enlightened
I really dont understand the attraction to the TK35. To me the BC40 is a great looking light. Theres only so many ways to design the appearance of a light. To me it's a classic design with some features that remind me of Surefire and McGizmo customs. The TK35 has got to be the ugliest thing I have ever seen!!! It looks like something you would buy at Walmart or ACE hardware. And rusting screws and cheap plastic housings? And green tints? And rattling components? I like Fenix and carry an LD15 as an EDC and love it but some of their stuff is just ugly and in this case overpriced. And having to use tape ? You gotta be kidding

I think Jetbeam has really done something cool here with the BC line. These lights are made well and are a great deal for the money. In the case of the BC40 I think they have a real sleeper here and I am hoping they have started a trend in flashlights that will make high performance lights more attainable to the more financailly challenged. I like everything about the BC40 , even the simple two modes. I tire of toggling thru modes with the tailcap and always searching for the level I want and if not timed right I have to cycle thru again to find it.

With the BC40 you can get a cutting edge light and still have money for the next latest and greatest which will hit the market 2 months after this one.

Fenix TK35? Ugly bad tint and cheaply made /overpriced

JB BC40 ? I cant find one tihng wrong yet . Time will tell.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered the bc40 from china. Now I'll try to forget about it until it comes

Why I chose bc40 over the TK35:

1) simpler UI
2) No 25 min throttling
3) I find long thin bodes easier to hold
4) cheaper - not that I can't afford a TK35, it just means I don't have to worry about losing/breaking it as much

Getting ready to kick myself when the U2 version comes out...