Sunwayman M20A Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman M20A - Submitted for consideration for the review forum

Newcomer Sunwayman is still continuing to take the market by storm with their latest additions, including the M20A. Is this just more of the same, or have they begun to add to their repertoire?

Sunwayman M20A

Meat and Potatoes

At first glance, the Sunwayman M20A comes across as just an adaptation of their previous models. The recipe for success that was used on the, admittedly fantastic, M10R was just given a new body to accommodate a pairing of much more common AA cells instead of the CR123A. Further examination however starts to unearth more changes to the core of the light that definitely are beneficial to the user.

Trading the original XR-E for the new hotness of the Cree XP-G, the M20A is noticeably brighter with an even better beam than the previous model. Now producing 220 lumens using the ANSI FL1 standard, the XP-G combined with a lightly textured reflector creates a very smooth and moderately floody beam that has few artifacts. It is quite a useful output for an EDC or basic duty-carry light. It is a nice creamy white color without any blue or green tint to my eyes.

Cree XP-G

The output levels of the M20A are very well spaced unlike some previous models. There is a clear low-medium-high progression with distinct differences. This is definitely an improvement. Plus, as a side note, the control ring adjusts low to high from left to right, very much like the M20C that I preferred over the M10R's direction. It still keeps the same excellent feeling forward clicky found on the majority of their product line. Interesting to note, the threading for the M20A is exactly the same as is found on the M10R and so theoretically speaking, the two 3V power supplies should be interchangeable. I haven't verified this with Sunwayman of course, so proceed at your own risk.

Constructive Criticism

Sunwayman still insists on using the same basic tension mounted clip that is found on many of their lights. They have managed to make the clip have a fair amount of grip making it secure enough to not be likely to fall off. The problem however lies in placement. The only ring with the appropriate dimensions to hold the clip in place is almost dead center on the light, either facing forward toward the head or rearward toward the tail. Neither option presents a viable clip-carry option. Having the clip opening toward the tail actually has further problems because of where the opening of the clip lands. It is right over the narrowest portion of the body tube actually causing a wide opening that makes the clip virtually useless. I still prefer other methods of clip attachment to be better, but if it is going to be a tension mount, it needs to be located in a better thought out place.

Though the fit and finish of the M20A definitely lives up to previous offerings from Sunwayman. All the machine work is superb and the anodizing is just as flawless as ever (though lacking the slightly maroon cast that gave the original models their unique character). The front end of the M20A basically looks identical to the M10R which I find to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing lights in my collection. My problem is in the portion that follows that. I wish that the thicker grip portion of the body would have been extended through the second cell rather than the bare tube for that section, but instead they have chosen to use simply a bare, featureless extension devoid of decoration. In all, this isn't a functional complaint, but it is something I wish was different.

Sunwayman M20A

Conclusions

A quality light with one of my favorite user interfaces, now available using common AA cells. Durable and simple to use. This one meets the high bar set by Sunwayman on their previous lights.

Sunwayman M20A

Provided for review by the kind folks at Sunwayman.

T45

Enlightened
Just bought a Sunwayman M20A from Goinggear's 2013 Garage Sale. Some great lights at great prices. I have wanted to get one since 2011 and now have one in my hands! Like Aardvark, I do think the styling could use a change by continuing the body styling through the entire length of the battery tube. My only other personal observation would be to remove the lanyard holes on the tailcap and make the tailcap more of a tactical exposed type. I am not a fan of tailstanding for General Purpose lights. My personal tastes. The M20A does tail stand for those that like that capability. Performance issue: Pre-Flash. The light does have a pre-flash on its low and medium settings. Other than than, a minor issue to me, I really like this light. I foresee a M10A in my future :)

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried the M10A yet, but I am quite a fan of their M10R despite the oddball output levels. I suspect the newer versions aren't as bad as my original SunwayLED model anyway on that. Let me know what you think!