Pocket edc flashlights

Phil828

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Am new to the forum but have gotten a lot of good information already. I was wondering for those of you who carry a small AAA sized light in your pocket with keys and coins and such, is it a problem for the glass to become scratched which might affect the beam? I presume the body will show some wear but I wouldn't want the glass to suffer. I could not find another thread on this subject but maybe I just don't know how to get around. Thanks.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If the glass is recessed into the head a bit it should not get too scratched up. To search fairly easily, use google search, cpf only, at the top of each page.

Bill

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

In my experience, yes, small AAA lights on my keychain tend to get scratched lenses after a while. I don't think it really impacts light output though.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I EDC a iTP EOS A3 (for a couple of months now) and I have LOTS of stuff in my pocket. I just carefully looked at the lens and it seems perfect. I do not see any blemishes at all.

Hope this helps...........

-

baragon

Newly Enlightened
I also have a itpeos A3 on my keys and have had no problem with getting scratches at all, if you get the stainless steel one even the body holds out quite well.

afdk

Newly Enlightened
:thinking: I have my LD01S attached to the home/car keys. I put the light in my jean watch pocket with the keys exposed.

checkmate

Newly Enlightened
I've had a Fenix L0D (predecessor to the LD01) attached to my keys since 2007.
The recessed glass is still perfect, although the body is looking a little scuffed! It adds character I reckon.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Phil828 and welcome to CPF!
I think that a good quality AAA light on your keyring is probably one of the most useful lights you can own. I've been carrying an ACR Mania Extreme III on my keyring for 2 years and the glass cover still looks perfect.

I think what kind of glass is used is quite important. Some of the less expensive lights might use regular glass, which will generally increase the likely hood of minor scratches, while some of the more expensive lights will use the same type of glass that is used for watch crystals, which is very hard and resistant to scratches.

Also look for some type of anti-reflective coating applied to the inside surface to help cut down on reflections, letting more of the light shine through rather than getting bounced back into the light.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
:welcome:

In my experience, yes, small AAA lights on my keychain tend to get scratched lenses after a while. I don't think it really impacts light output though.

But now the beam has been transformed to a floody beam, and it was FREE too.:grin2: Can't beat that with a bat! :laughing:

pblanch

Enlightened
Fenix E05 on keys.

The 30lm output is really bright and floody. The lens, although plastic diffuses the light and is opaque so scratched aren't a problem. I nearly had a heart attach when I found some discoloration that I thought was wear, but then wiped it off with my finger. Crisis averted. Have no idea where it came from.

Has a home on my keyring now once occupied the trusted (but retrospectivly hopefully inadequate) AAA mini mag light.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjtG6P2z

Last edited:

Jackasper

Enlightened
Just looked at my A3 EOS that, to say the least, has been every bit of mistreated for probably 6 months now, and the lens looks great. The rest of it looks a bit rough but it still works perfect!