Small backup combat flash light. Bright, small durable. Surefire Backup, Fennix LD10,

alfred10

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Surefire E2D everyday. I spend alot of time in the woods and areas where a flash light could save my life. I prefer a dual out put so it can be used for low profile navigating on low and blinding an enemy/ signaling for help on high.

It must be extremly durable and well made. Thinking of clipping it to the back of my pants pocket.

I have a Fennix LD 10 that I love since it has signaling features and runs for a long time on a common AA battery. How does the durability and long term quality compare to that of Surefire? What else should I consider? This is a 2nd light that might save my life...

herosemblem

Enlightened
My E1B hasn't let me down.
My flashlight hand (my left hand) always has my LX2 or PT2L, and my strong hand (my right hand) always has my backup light, which is either my E1B or my PT1L.
I recommend it for someone who will take care of, and can appreciate, a solid, bright light.

Last edited:

BRO

Newly Enlightened
The E1B or the HDS 170 would fit your needs well. I own both and have carried both, both are very capable that fall in the extremely durable category you mentioned. G/luck....

alfred10

Newly Enlightened
How does the Surefire compare to the Fennix LD10 AA light? I usually go with surefire bc of the extreme durability. I like the Fennix ability to run on a AA but I will be using this in extreme enviornments...

Warp

Enlightened
How does the Surefire compare to the Fennix LD10 AA light? I usually go with surefire bc of the extreme durability. I like the Fennix ability to run on a AA but I will be using this in extreme enviornments...

My Fenix flashlights have been every bit as reliable, rugged and durable you could reasonably hope. They are great, tough lights in my experience.

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
If by extreme environments you mean temperature extremes, lithium batteries will do better.

I have an E1B and a HDS 120 Tactical (current model with Osram Golden Dragon emitter). Both are great lights with very rugged construction. The E1B has a good sized hotspot and almost no spill, versus the HDS 120's small hotspot with a good amount of spill. The E1B will throw farther, but the HDS beam pattern might be better for general use. It's also programmable and has more modes than the E1B. The 170 lumen models also use the Golden Dragon emitters. I find the 120 to be surprisingly bright with a very useful beam, and I consider it a great buy at $99 versus $160 for the E1B or $159 for the HDS 170.

wingspar

Newly Enlightened
Why not another LD10? I keep one in my bedroom, and will be getting one to keep in my computer room, and have given at least two of them as gifts. Outstanding light for a single AA battery.

My favorite is my Fenix PD30. Incredible light. It replaced my LD20 as my favorite. Surefire is a popular light, but light output and cost has turned me away from trying Surefire lights, but I do have a good stockpile of Surefire CR123 batteries.