video gameness of Zebra lights

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
It occurred to me that the UI of Zebra lights kind of resemble a video game. If you get the timing right, you get rewarded with the desired lighting level, and maybe a shot of adrenaline? If you get it wrong, you are punished by losing your dark vision :poof:

Anyone else get that feeling from using their Zebralights?

Also, are Zebralights one of those devices you really can't lend out to friends/family/neighbor on a moment's notice and expect them to know how to use it? I just don't see a non-gadget lover being able to pick up a Zebralight and consistently turning it on medium (most often used mode for me). So, this might be another aspect of the light that makes it like a video game.

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
I don't know, in most of my games I just hit "F" to have light and "F" to turn it back off... :)

Yeah, but then there's the dumb teammates who are walking around with the flashlight on, while you're shift-walking to the bomb site after the bomb's been planted...eh :xyxgun:

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
Yeah, but then there's the dumb teammates who are walking around with the flashlight on, while you're shift-walking to the bomb site after the bomb's been planted...eh :xyxgun:

They're the kind of people who couldn't work a Zebralight...

P.S., when I read your post, the last four words came out in my mind over a walkie talkie...

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once I got used to the UI on my ZL's I haven't really had a problem. With respect to loaning them to non-flashaholics, I just tell them to click it on and off; most people like that just want light, period, and it's not worth trying to explain the extra modes, so I don't bother. More often than not, I don't find they have any problems that way.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
It's easy to lend them out to friends etc :D Except low mode.

1) double click fast for medium
2) click fast for high

Not hard at all :p

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
Once I got used to the UI on my ZL's I haven't really had a problem. With respect to loaning them to non-flashaholics, I just tell them to click it on and off; most people like that just want light, period, and it's not worth trying to explain the extra modes, so I don't bother. More often than not, I don't find they have any problems that way.

+1 :)

PayBack

Enlightened
You mean the ZebraNoob?

It's an effective light, and anytime something is effective in an online game, someone cries over it..

CoD4 for instance...

waaaahhh Noobtube. Waaaah jugger, waaaah 3x nades, waaaah marty, waaaah Last Stand.... if you use something that works well, you're lame. :p

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
Also, are Zebralights one of those devices you really can't lend out to friends/family/neighbor on a moment's notice and expect them to know how to use it? I just don't see a non-gadget lover being able to pick up a Zebralight and consistently turning it on medium (most often used mode for me).

Well first off, I never lend out my EDC light. But in a special situation if I had to lend it to a friend/family/neighbor on a moments notice, I think it would be very easy for them to use.

I would just tell them click for light, click again for off. And if I wanted them to be able to use low, med, or high... I would just tell them to click and hold until they see the light level they want, and then let go.

In fact, I don't think any of my non-flashaholic family and friends would have a problem getting light out of my ZebraLight even if I just threw it to them and said... here use this! :devil:

I'm sure the first thing they would do is click the little button... and then they would have light! And I'm pretty sure they would figure out on their own, if they click it again it will shut off. :)

AaronG

Enlightened
If night vision was essential I don't know if I would trust it. Other than that it's fine. Hold until you get what you want is pretty staight forward. Click for high is pretty simple too.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Also, are Zebralights one of those devices you really can't lend out to friends/family/neighbor on a moment's notice and expect them to know how to use it?
My (at the time) 4 year-old son figured it out immediately. Conversely, my 86 year-old mother did too. I gave no instructions to either one... and both of them, on occasion, drool a little (sorry mom).

- Jas.

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
If you're in a real panic situation, click for High is about as simple as you can get. Otherwise, press until it gets to the level you want and release to stay there is a pretty easy explanation to give. Or once for high, twice for medium, three times for low...

They do have a very versatile UI. It'd be nice if their button was better protected from accidental activation.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well first off, I never lend out my EDC light. But in a special situation if I had to lend it to a friend/family/neighbor on a moments notice, I think it would be very easy for them to use.

+1! We're on the same page here! The few times I have loaned out my SC50w+ it's been to my wife or my son; I've never loaned it to a neighbor or any other relative for that matter... If I need to do that I'll grab one of the C or D mags collecting dust out in the pantry...