25 Years Old Philips Halogen XM-L mod *super old school*

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
I did it again. :laughing:

This flashlight is from my father. He bought it before I was born. :D I really liked that flashlight when I was a child. At that time it was a super light.

It was still in use since 25 years as the *flashlight-standing-in-the-kitchen* for things like getting vegetables out of the garden for dinner or bringing the trash out. ...you know..

A month ago the 12-15 years old Ni-Cd D cells finaly died. I had 4 C Ni-MH cells laying around... ...and saved the light from the trash. Im really happy about that. :twothumbs

The driver I used does not put out 2,8A. It "only" puts out 2,4A but it really has a efficiency of 85%. For that price really good.

Parts:

25 Years old Philips Halogen
Regulated CV/CC LED Driver Circuit Board
XM-LT6 885LM LED Emitter 6000K
28mm copper pipe
Aluminium-Silicon alloy pipe (even hardened titanium or diamond is easier to work on) :ohgeez::banghead: (got it for free)
19mm Aluminium pipe
Old notebook cpu heatsink
Old scotch tape holder
The usual stuff like screws, thermal paste(and glue), cables...
Love and Peace

Now some pics from the build:

The heatsink-battery tube. The two smaller rings fit so super-tight that I dont need to glue or screw them.

The "drop-in" :D I mean everybody can put in a drop-in in a maglight and claim he made a great mod. This one here cant build anyone... I really like how the inside of the old scotch tape holder fit as a spacer.

The spacer for 4C to 4D length.

The flash of the camera shows a lot of reflections. Its by far not that scratchy. And still it looks old school :devil:

Beamshots in a few minutes...
...here they are!

I tried to make them look as close as possible to the human eye but the camera doesnt get it on any setting...

25 Years old Philips Halogen XM-L mod (if you turn the head it makes lots of donuts so this is the best flood/throw combination)

Wolf-Eyes Krait *high* defocused and focused (defocused much brighter to the human eye, very good flashlight)

Fenix LD01 *high*

Led Lenser P3 mod *high* (still the crappy driver)

1000 Lumen test flashlight

Last edited:

onetrickpony

Enlightened
Nice, I got a box of flashlights from my dad awhile ago, some that my grandfather had! You're giving me ideas....

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
Yeah nice! Please keep them old school from the outside. I hope you post them here when ready. I like that rough old non-cnc look. :naughty:

2 more pics:

Both pics done in bright afternoon sunlight in the shadow of my balcony railing. Even with only 2,4A at the LED its really bright.

The flood of that thing is a super wide 140°! I dont have to worry about falling over things that were only a few cm from my feet because the flashlight has to much throw and I dont see them. :huh: