ZebraLight SC51c High CRI Release

Lance Carbuncle

Newly Enlightened
I just browsed the Zebralight website and saw that they have a pre-order page up for a High CRI light. I was hoping it would be using a Nichia 119, but any High CRI light I can get my hands on is ok with me.

The emitter is a luxeon rebel 85 CRI 4000k. Anyone know much about this emitter? I haven't heard much about luxeon's lately.

I searched and didn't see anyone mention this, so hopefully this isn't a duplicate post.

Lance

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
85 CRI isn't exactly High in my opinion. Still, if they don't jack up the price, it will be a nice tint.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 85 CRI is not enough to entice me over the massive drop in lumen. I am quite used to 93 from my HDS clicky. Either they give me higher CRI or higher output over CRI. I have so far been happy with the neutral white offerings from ZL and would most likely order neutral white over the high CRI if I needed another.

Lance Carbuncle

Newly Enlightened
The 85 CRI rating could be misleading. The Nichia 119 H1 is the highest rated CRI emitter they make and it is also listed at 85 CRI. This is a guaranteed minimum, and typical performance is 92-93 CRI.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Relevant SC51c Specs:

• LED: Philips LUXEON Rebel (Typical CRI 85, color temperature 4000K)
  • Light Output
    • High: H1 130 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 63 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 80 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
    • Medium: M1 29 Lm (9 hrs) or M2 14Lm (24 hrs)
    • Low: L1 2.8 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.3 Lm (16 days)
    • Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries.
    • 130, 80, 29, 14 and 2.8 Lumen output levels are current regulated. 63 and 0.3 Lumen output levels are PWM generated.
  • Beam Type
    • 80° spill beam spread
    • 11° (3.8 feet at 20 feet) hot spot

Note: the SC51w is at 172 Lm on H1 with a 4200k XP-G Typical CRI 75.:shrug:

- Jas.

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps I'm missing something, but wont the rebel throw a little better than the XPG assuming the same reflector is used? The perceived drop in brightness may not be that bad if it throws a little better.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds pretty fantastic... I might just be willing to give up my SC50w+ in favor of one of these, which would actually be brighter when I'm not running a 14500. While it's nice to have the extra output the li-ion offers, the short run-time can be a drag sometimes.

RobME

Newly Enlightened
Bodes well for things to come. Production commences late June 2011, AA only (so far). Hi CRI at their prices? Seems like a winner, but I'll wait for the CR123 version. :)

hazna

Enlightened
Thats a big drop to the lumens with the high CRI. It's good to see that the colour temperature isn't too warm.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The drop really isn't that much. It will be barely noticeable. But if it actually has a 90+ CRI at that temp it will be fantastic.

Rod911

Enlightened
I cannot confess to knowing the technical details fully, but from reading the datasheet (I think this is the right one), makes it an interesting choice of LED. Also, I do prefer the 4000k CCT. The beamshots of the high CRI 3000k lights are too warm for my liking.

I thought I read a post here some where saying that a 4*AA light is in the works from ZL. If they use this LED in that light, there's a pretty good chance I'll buy it. I can't convince myself to purchase the AA model considering I have the SC51w already.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
fyi regarding pre-ordering with zebralight. i pre-ordered the h51w directly from zl, and folks in the u.s. were getting there's from u.s. dealers well before mine arrived from china. not sure if this is always the case with pre-order or not. i'm really interested in this high cri light, but will likely wait until it shows up at a dealer.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bodes well for things to come. Production commences late June 2011, AA only (so far). Hi CRI at their prices? Seems like a winner, but I'll wait for the CR123 version. :)

I guess you already have an investment in 123 based lights? Now days, with the newest light technologies and battery chemistries, 123's no longer have any advantage over AA's.

The drop really isn't that much. It will be barely noticeable. But if it actually has a 90+ CRI at that temp it will be fantastic.

+1 I like the idea of the 4K color temp, 3K is too warm in my opinion.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, hats off to Zebralight for investigating emitters with a higher CRI. As someone who basically doesn't buy cool white lights anymore, I'm always happy to see more warm offerings. :thumbsup:

That said, I don't think they should call this a "High CRI" light. 85CRI is not high. It's slightly better than average, but not to the point where you're going to take one look and say "Oh wow, it's just like an incandescent!". If anything, the 4000k color temperature will leave more of an impression than the CRI rating.

Eagerly awaiting some beamshots. Neutral Rebel emitters have such a nice creaminess to them.

:popcorn:

Harry999

Enlightened
Very interesting! I may well be ordering a new ZL light soon.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

srfreddy

Enlightened
Based on what people have said, 85 vs 90 CRI is unnoticable, and within boundaries of normal differences in LEDs. I must say though, that 130 Lm. is lower than I thought... :(

Last edited:

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
What's the practical, on the ground difference between the High CRI and their current "w" series neutral lights? I've got an H51w and an H30w, both seem pretty great for outdoor color rendition.

Lance Carbuncle

Newly Enlightened
fyi regarding pre-ordering with zebralight. i pre-ordered the h51w directly from zl, and folks in the u.s. were getting there's from u.s. dealers well before mine arrived from china. not sure if this is always the case with pre-order or not. i'm really interested in this high cri light, but will likely wait until it shows up at a dealer.

Well, before I started this thread, I decided to preorder it, hoping it would show up before June.... I got a ship notice YESTERDAY :) .

damn_hammer

Enlightened
nice. it still might be june before you get it though. :crackup: seriously though, please share you impressions when it arrives. thanks. if you have a sc51w, or h51w as a comparison would be ideal.