Malfunctioning iTP A3 EOS

lightguy7

Newly Enlightened
I had a situation recently where my A3 EOS Titanium wouldn't shut off. On close inspection, I found small piece of Gold plated metal that was shorting the circuit board to the lens barrel. A dental pick removed the offending debris, but last night I had a recurrence. Same problem, new piece of metal. I have several of these lights, but this is the only that has given me a problem. Anyone have a similar experience?

mrlysle

Enlightened
I know it's not the first time this has happened, but I don't remember exactly what light was affected. There was a thread last year I read about metallic crap getting between the body and contact ring in the head. Now I don't remember if the problem was parasitic drain, or the light not turning off or what. If pieces of the plating keep coming off, I'd say you should contact the seller and see about a replacement. For some reason. I'm thinking the issue I read about was basically small metal particles because the titanium threads weren't very smooth, and their rubbing together when twisting the head, ultimately caused some build up of conductive "dust" to accumulate between the head tube and contact ring where the top of the battery tube makes contact. Not sure where yours is coming from. Can you see any part of the contact areas in the head missing plating?

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
Known issue... primarily affects Ti and SS versions of the ITP and Maratac lights. The anodized versions are less prone to problems since the anodizing of the head limits conduction even if something conductive bridges the gap from the board to the inside of the head.

Not very common, usually fixable with cleaning, as you've done. Try lightly sanding the end of the battery tube to ensure it's not rough and that it's square, clean as thoroughly as possible, perhaps gently using a bit of compressed/canned air if available.

My SS A3 acted up after it's first month of life (it was a bit fussy even before it "latched" on) but it's been reliable and trouble-free ever since giving it a detail job. It rides in my pocket every day, and has been doing so since September of 2009.

- Syncytial.

baragon

Newly Enlightened
As well as lightly sanding the end of the battery tube it might be worth using a bit of metal polish to get it very smooth, after reading your problems i will do this to mine. Not that i have had any problems with mine yet.