Diffusor for 2 lights

prof student

Enlightened
12 pages later in search results, still couldn't find any threads that talked about homemade diffusors.

I am looking for something to make a diffusor for SF 6P/G2 & Fenix TK20. The bottle caps from 16 oz water bottles are too small. Other than adding a piece of scotch tape, any other real ideas?

Thanks.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Here is what I am using

I think the white is the best choice. It diffuses light nicely (you can see some of my beamshots in that thread) and it doesnt change the tint of the light. Plus it glows in the dark after you turn the light off. Good stuff and reasonably priced. You just clean the lens, peel and stick it on. It works best on the inside of the lens on your 6P... dunno about the Fenix as I dont have that one, but I did put some of this film on the outside of my CR123 Mini and it works great there too. Just "nicer" when its on the inside of the lens IMHO. I am running a Nailbender Linger special behind it and it turned the beam from.. well, Linger special, to beautiful diffused light.

Beamshots here

What it looks like in place here

web.jpg

web.jpg

Last edited:

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
The Surefire Gx-FYL lights are supplied with a small stamped bezel ring remover and three different grades of diffusion film, cut to fit. The kits are for sale periodically in the Marketplace, and perhaps someone that doesn't use a diffuser, or only uses one, would be willing to donate one of the film pieces.

I've got a Linger Special and a Supasizefries MC-E that are equiped that way. Simple, removable and effective.

Similarly, there's "d-c-fix", a self-adhesive film for glass treatment. Something like it should be available at any good glass shop. You could probably get some free from left-over bits that would do more than you need. A CPF member is selling small quantities of d-c-fix in the marketplace, to great acclaim.

- Syncytial.

Last edited:

ajl

Newly Enlightened
Cut the top 1 1/4 inch off from the cap/bottle top of a empty 32 oz bottle of All laundry detergent, small and mighty 3x ultra, the "free clear" bottle. (The one with the translucent cap.) Hold the empty bottle with the cap on while you are making the cut to the cap with a hacksaw.

prof student

Enlightened
Cut the top 1 1/4 inch off from the cap/bottle top of a empty 32 oz bottle of All laundry detergent, small and mighty 3x ultra, the "free clear" bottle. (The one with the translucent cap.) Hold the empty bottle with the cap on while you are making the cut to the cap with a hacksaw.

Thank you ajl.

I probably should have specified that I am not looking for something permanent to place on the lens. I am looking for something cheap/homemade perhaps, that does stay on, but can easily be removed when I need the full beam & brightness of the light.

Any other ideas????

jginnane

Newly Enlightened
Thank you ajl.

I probably should have specified that I am not looking for something permanent to place on the lens. I am looking for something cheap/homemade perhaps, that does stay on, but can easily be removed when I need the full beam & brightness of the light.

Any other ideas????

1. First idea -- a condom, either uninflated or blown up (which creates a different effect useful for large-flood lighting, as in photography).

2. Second idea -- tissue paper secured with a rubber band.

3. Third -- Anything (literally... a piece of a CD case? a sandwich bag? a storage case for an SD card?) secured to the housing with velcro.

4. Vaseline the lens; add salt (or sand) to taste (desired opacity).

5. Try illuminating through whole ice cubes or crushed ice in a bag for even more effects.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I typed in the word diffuser in google CPF only at the top of every page, and many, many home made variety diffuser posts popped up.

Bill

prof student

Enlightened
I typed in the word diffuser in google CPF only at the top of every page, and many, many home made variety diffuser posts popped up.

Bill

Yeah, but still the same problem. Nothing for Surefire's g2 or 6p :( Only one thread devoted to g2, and it was all about SF FM34 diffusor.

So, other than ajl's idea of the cap from a bottle of ALL liquid detergent, any one else have any ideas for a diffusor that you can put on & pull of easily? Tape sounds like it could work, but a) worried if it will peel any paint off, b) eh, i would rather not have to carry a roll of tape in my pocket to continously tear off some & reapply, you know?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get a rubber furniture cap from the hardware store and cut the end out then add a diffusion lens from flashlightlens.com or a homemade diffuser from some material.

I have not tried this but any store including walmart that sells guns will likely have scope covers in a variety of sizes, many with yellow lenses. Pop out the yellow lens and put a diffused one in.

So far I've found that any solution that lets light leak out the side, like a bottle cap, is so annoying as to be useless.

ajl

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, but still the same problem. Nothing for Surefire's g2 or 6p :( Only one thread devoted to g2, and it was all about SF FM34 diffusor.

So, other than ajl's idea of the cap from a bottle of ALL liquid detergent, any one else have any ideas for a diffusor that you can put on & pull of easily? Tape sounds like it could work, but a) worried if it will peel any paint off, b) eh, i would rather not have to carry a roll of tape in my pocket to continously tear off some & reapply, you know?

If the cap becomes loose with wear (hint: I usually leave the "fuzz" from the hacksaw cut on) I then put "Johnson and Johnson" medical tape (it's translucent white) on the inside base of the cut detergent cap. No tape glue on the flashlight bensil. Friction fit, will not come off by accident. Lasts a good long while. Cheap to replace. I have the translucent/white cap on my incadencent C2, and yellow on my 6PL and C2 Led. Works for me.

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
There are many threads on this but they may have been lost in the server issues.

A few quick ones:

Scotch tape

water bottle cap (any translucent plastic really)

paper (not for incan's)

bob4apple

Enlightened
There is contact paper that's specifically designed to diffuse light- meant to be applied to windows
for privacy. I can tell you it works perfectly.

One roll is *usually* enough for a flashaholics entire collection for life.

prof student

Enlightened
There is contact paper that's specifically designed to diffuse light- meant to be applied to windows
for privacy. I can tell you it works perfectly.

One roll is *usually* enough for a flashaholics entire collection for life.

Well, I am looking for a cap, something that i can put on or off with ease, and not worry about carrying a roll of tape around, you know?

So, I bought a bottle of ALL detergent. That is supposed to fit a 6P or G2. We will see how that goes Does anyone have any ideas for the TK20?

prof student

Enlightened
You could get a rubber furniture cap from the hardware store and cut the end out then add a diffusion lens from flashlightlens.com or a homemade diffuser from some material.

I have not tried this but any store including walmart that sells guns will likely have scope covers in a variety of sizes, many with yellow lenses. Pop out the yellow lens and put a diffused one in.

So far I've found that any solution that lets light leak out the side, like a bottle cap, is so annoying as to be useless.

I don't know what a furniture cap is. What is that?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what a furniture cap is. What is that?

I think (but am not sure) he is talking about rubber ends for chair legs.

I've tried a lot of things as you are doing and never really liked anything. Scotch "Magic" Tape works best but as you say it's not convenient to take off. I just use it if I want to permanently make a light a flood light.