What is my (modest/moderate) collection missing most?

Warp

Enlightened
I realize there is a lot of subjectivity and personal preference in this question. That is fine, I value any reasonable input. After all, who doesn't enjoy discussing flashlights, right?

This is what I have.

Pocket EDC: 4Sevens Quark 123^2 Tactical R5 (AW 17670)
Backup/Keychain EDC: iTP A3 EOS Upgrade (Energizer e2 lithium)
EDC in cargo pocket: EagleTac T20C2 MkII XM-L T6 (Redilast 2900 18650) *In the mail*
Nightstand emergency: Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Lux (Energizer e2 lithium)
Nightstand regular use: Mag-lite XL100
Vehicle mounted: Streamlight Polystinger LED C4
Shotgun mounted: Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2 (primaries)
Handgun mounted (sometimes) Streamlight TLR-1
Headlamp: Zebralight H30

Others:
Fenix P1D-Q5, Fenix E01, 4D MagLED, 2x 2AA Mags with LEDs, Streamlight microstream, nuwaii 1xAAA, nuwai 2xAAA, surefire G2 w/P60 and P61, brinkman maxfire, and others that don't deserve mentioning. A pila ibc charger is also on the way to upgrade from my ultrafire -139

Wow, sounds like a lot more than it feels like when I list it all out.

------------------
-------
------------------

What I think I don't have but want: A high quality (not mag) AA powered light. It would be a good thing to have a quality light that will run on the incredibly easy to find AA battery. I guess I am not counting the SL 4AA PP Lux on my nightstand because I never use it. It just sits there and has for years. That is its job and it does it well. And it won't fit in a pocket very well. I like pocket lights.

A real screamer. I don't have one due to: 1) cost, 2) would not be carryable. Every time I see an ad for, say, the maelstrom, I wonder how nice that much light could be.

A good, permanent car light for our second vehicle (the one I am now stuck typically driving). It has only the brinkman maxfire in the glovebox right now.

More lights for the sake of more lights. Differnet brands and types and UIs I haven't been able to try. I've never had or even held so many...thrunite, HDS, jetbeam, nitecore, etc etc.

So where to go from here?

Last edited:

AaronG

Enlightened
Wow! It seems like your pretty well stocked. I guess this is about the time when you start selectively buying high end stuff like super throwers and titanium customs :D

If you want a cool AA light you might consider:

sunwayman V10A. The control ring is a cool feature

The Zebralight 51 series lights are good. I have a zebra H51F and I'm really happy with it.

The Fenix LD10 is a quality light (no low/low though)

The thrunight neutron series seems quite similar to the Fenix but with XM-L emitter and a lower low

Good luck with the search

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Surefire C2-HA...just for the feel...Surefire's Combat Grip lights are a pleasure to hold. Get a Malkoff for it, and call it a day. Also, an L1 or something that uses the L1 UI (Press light for low, hard for high). I think these are essential Surefires for any flashaholic. Start with "like new/excellent" ones from the MP...they can be had for about $80 a piece.

Warp

Enlightened
I have had poor surefire experience. They are 0-2. (G2 and 9P). I need to email surefire about the 9P. It's actually my dad's. I need to get it fixed and then put a drop in in

I am drawn to the thrunite neutrons

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call them...much better (and faster) service. I've had some of the old glass lenses break and bulbs prematurely go "poof", but that's a given...they hooked me up super fast with questions asked and didn't cost me a dime. Other than that, I'm 48-0 (not including all my lights I've sold/traded, which is zero failures) on Surefire "failures" .

I broke an old glass lens and had a P90 blow on me. E-mailed SF from Iraq, had a brand new bezel and P90 in 5 days. I placed a spare lens in the one that I had broken, and got an extra Bezel out of it :0). But, like I said, call them, and they SHOULD make it right.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
you seem very well covered hehe. but you got to try out a HDS clicky or better yet, a HDS Rotary if you can find one.

I had a bad start with surefire too, my first surefire which was a LX2 was defective out the box. I got it from a good dealer, so they took care of me. I would say my last 7 out of 10 purchases were surefires, and the difference in quality is apparent.

whats wrong with your G2 and 9P? is there visible damage, like a cracked lens, or head? could it be the switch?
I think G2L or G2ZL make for great glove box lights. similar to the polystinger, but with more personalize options.

Warp

Enlightened
you seem very well covered hehe. but you got to try out a HDS clicky or better yet, a HDS Rotary if you can find one.

I had a bad start with surefire too, my first surefire which was a LX2 was defective out the box. I got it from a good dealer, so they took care of me. I would say my last 7 out of 10 purchases were surefires, and the difference in quality is apparent.

whats wrong with your G2 and 9P? is there visible damage, like a cracked lens, or head? could it be the switch?
I think G2L or G2ZL make for great glove box lights. similar to the polystinger, but with more personalize options.

The G2 just quit working when I took it in a swimming pool a few years ago. They fixed it, but the tailcap is way too loose now and the fact that I was on vacation and had to go buy a brinkman at Walmart because my G2 failed annoyed the hell out of me. I was bragging on Surefire and then I had to eat it the rest of the trip. I have since done the same, and far worse, to multiple Fenix lights (I had a P3D for a few years as an EDC, dad has it now) and my 4sevens...no problems.

The 9P just quit. I know the tailcap is bad but a paperclip across the back does nothing either

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 just quit working when I took it in a swimming pool a few years ago. They fixed it, but the tailcap is way too loose now and the fact that I was on vacation and had to go buy a brinkman at Walmart because my G2 failed annoyed the hell out of me. I was bragging on Surefire and then I had to eat it the rest of the trip. I have since done the same, and far worse, to multiple Fenix lights (I had a P3D for a few years as an EDC, dad has it now) and my 4sevens...no problems.

The 9P just quit. I know the tailcap is bad but a paperclip across the back does nothing either

Sorry if I'm playing Devils Advocate Warp, but just to shed some hindsight on it....

"Took it swimming...just quit working" ???

And an Incan SF only "just quits working" for two reasons; Dead Batteries or a blown bulb...99/9% of the time...other than that, there would be obvious damage to the tail, etc.. LED's have circuits inside than can be fried, unknown to the user...I would classify that as "just quit working".

Surefires are only guaranteed to (I forgot the MIL-Spec Number), but suited for "Fording Operations" (30 minutes in 3 meters of rough water?), although they do make the 6PN which is certified and tested to 33meters I believe for Navy Seals/Combat Swimmers. The G-Series are probably the least waterproof of any of them, and the thread in the tail gets small dents, etc. All my Surefires have been personally tested (minus my G-Series), and all have kept out water for the 5-6 years I've owned them (they get regular trips to the shower too...whoops...).

Surefire should send you a new tailcap, but I would try the G2 tail-cap on the 9P first to make sure it isn't the bulb. As far as the loose G2 tail-cap, they changed the tail-caps on the newer models, and I have noticed that they don't fit as well on my first generation G2 (the non-lockout tail-cap version, where the guts fall out...these ones DEFINITELY aren't waterproof!).

Again, don't want to sound brash, just give ya a little insight into how the others on the forum may read your post/description of the problems. Hope this helps ya a little!

Warp

Enlightened
Sorry if I'm playing Devils Advocate Warp, but just to shed some hindsight on it....

"Took it swimming...just quit working" ???

And an Incan SF only "just quits working" for two reasons; Dead Batteries or a blown bulb...99/9% of the time...other than that, there would be obvious damage to the tail, etc.. LED's have circuits inside than can be fried, unknown to the user...I would classify that as "just quit working".

Surefires are only guaranteed to (I forgot the MIL-Spec Number), but suited for "Fording Operations" (30 minutes in 3 meters of rough water?), although they do make the 6PN which is certified and tested to 33meters I believe for Navy Seals/Combat Swimmers. The G-Series are probably the least waterproof of any of them, and the thread in the tail gets small dents, etc. All my Surefires have been personally tested (minus my G-Series), and all have kept out water for the 5-6 years I've owned them (they get regular trips to the shower too...whoops...).

Surefire should send you a new tailcap, but I would try the G2 tail-cap on the 9P first to make sure it isn't the bulb. As far as the loose G2 tail-cap, they changed the tail-caps on the newer models, and I have noticed that they don't fit as well on my first generation G2 (the non-lockout tail-cap version, where the guts fall out...these ones DEFINITELY aren't waterproof!).

Again, don't want to sound brash, just give ya a little insight into how the others on the forum may read your post/description of the problems. Hope this helps ya a little!

No obvious damage. Bulb was good, a paperclip showed that. I guess I was mistaken to think my G2 could go into a swimming pool with me while on vacation.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although I'm sure you will find a lot of support here for an HDS light, here are a couple of other suggestions -- how about a Zebralight headlamp (could get it in AA, if you prefer), and maybe a JetBEAM rrt-3 for lots of lumens.

For a small emergency torch, JetBEAM's small rrt-0 can run off either 1xCR123 or 1xAA (with a battery adapter & less output), and would easily fit in a glovebox. Lots of power and good throw for the size.

Finally, maybe something by Peak, too. Super-simple and built like a tank. They've got too many options to list, but you can just about pick whatever battery, output, and type of construction you want (steel, brass, HA aluminum, titanium), etc.

EDIT: Oops, missed the ZL already on your list, sorry.

Last edited:

Warp

Enlightened
Although I'm sure you will find a lot of support here for an HDS light, here are a couple of other suggestions -- how about a Zebralight headlamp (could get it in AA, if you prefer), and maybe a JetBEAM rrt-3 for lots of lumens.

For a small emergency torch, JetBEAM's small rrt-0 can run off either 1xCR123 or 1xAA (with a battery adapter & less output), and would easily fit in a glovebox. Lots of power and good throw for the size.

Finally, maybe something by Peak, too. Super-simple and built like a tank. They've got too many options to list, but you can just about pick whatever battery, output, and type of construction you want (steel, brass, HA aluminum, titanium), etc.

EDIT: Oops, missed the ZL already on your list, sorry.

What's a good place to shop for Peak lights?

archimedes

Flashaholic
If you are in the US, sales are handled by RMSK. Otherwise, contact Peak LED Soutions directly. I don't know about linking directly in the forum, but a web search should make their contact info easy to find.

Unless you already know exactly what you want, it can be be a bit tricky figuring this out....Feel free to ask for advice here.

By the way, it's best to call to place an order. Really.