Decided on Dereelight DBS V3 - but which one: XML or XP-G R5???

tmackie

Newly Enlightened
After contemplating several thrower options, I believe I have settled on a DBS V3. But I don't know if I want the XML or R5 version. :thinking:

Does anyone have both and care to comment on the beam profile and throw of the XML?

I am hoping to use this on my AR-15 for night varmint hunts. If the XML throws as well with even better spill then that would be ideal, but if the XP-G R5 is a much better thrower then I have no problem going with it. Flashlightconnection sells them both for essentially the same price.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Darvis

Enlightened
I have almost every pill for the DBS V3 from the XR-E on up the the XM-L- The XM-L rocks, don't even think about any other config, it's a great, compact thrower and a great light.

The beam profile turns out to be a very generous hotspot, and very bright.. it does NOT throw as far as the XR-E version (the only other pill to consider) but it provides much more light in a much bigger hotspot and we're taalking maybe 15 yards less throw. You'll still get 100+ yards out of it.

Buy the 2x18650 tube, btw, you'll appreciate the increased runtime.

Last edited:

pageyjim

Enlightened
I would ask Jay at Flashlightconnection and he would probably know. Otherwise get the XML it has 27k lux and worse case scenario you can get the R5 pill for about $30.00. I don't know if you would need a reflector or not.

tmackie

Newly Enlightened
I would ask Jay at Flashlightconnection and he would probably know. Otherwise get the XML it has 27k lux and worse case scenario you can get the R5 pill for about $30.00. I don't know if you would need a reflector or not.

thanks for the help guys!!

I'm ordering it today. Just out of curiosity, where did you get the 27K lux number? I can't find a good review of the XML anywhere!

tmackie

Newly Enlightened
I have almost every pill for the DBS V3 from the XR-E on up the the XM-L- The XM-L rocks, don't even think about any other config, it's a great, compact thrower and a great light.

The beam profile turns out to be a very generous hotspot, and very bright.. it does NOT throw as far as the XR-E version (the only other pill to consider) but it provides much more light in a much bigger hotspot and we're taalking maybe 15 yards less throw. You'll still get 100+ yards out of it.

I ordered the XML plus the 18650 tube. When used without the extension what battery config do you use? Just regular CR123A?? IMR 16340??

daguy80

Newly Enlightened
I have a thrunite xpg pill driven at 1.5 amp a xre r2 driven at 1.2 amp and a nailbender xml dropin driven.at 2.4 amp and the xml out throws both of them. I don't know why but my xre r2 could only throw about the same as my xpg pill. I would imagine a nailbender xml driven at 3.1 amp would be super bright with great throw. I also like the nailbender pill more then dereelights pill because it runs off of one 18650 only so its very compact. You wont be dissapointed with the dbs xml.

pageyjim

Enlightened
thanks for the help guys!!

I'm ordering it today. Just out of curiosity, where did you get the 27K lux number? I can't find a good review of the XML anywhere!

Off of flashlightconnection's website under the description of the XML version of the Deerelight.

tmackie

Newly Enlightened

Just heard back from Jay at FlashlightConnection.com. He highly recommended the VB-16 R2B as a pure thrower. He said the DBS V3 XML "lights the entire football field" versus and XR-E R2 lighting up the end of the field.

I guess I can start with the XML and buy a XR-E R2 pill later if I want the pure thrower, correct??

I really like the flexibility of the Dereelight like my ET T20 MkII which has lots of pills too. I just want a light with more throw so that means a bigger head. Also needs to be weapon mountable (1 inch tube) without being too heavy like some of the other super thrower.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
What are you'll thoughts on getting just a DBS shell with a nailbender drop in, or getting the complete DBS with XML? Are nailbenders stronger? I'd love to have a 3 mode mode one that was pushed as hard as it could be... say 2, 50 & 800 lumens. Can nailbender make custom modes? How about switching between modes... is it the same on nail benders as "the stock" DBS XM-L? Wow I'd love one with a twist head with turbo tight, and moonlight loose and a back and forth from either spot to get to medium.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

XM-L in DBS is perfection!

Get an extension for two 18500 or 18650, you'll be happy you did:D

JKodiak

Newly Enlightened
With Nailbender drop-ins you can choose what kind of a drop-in you want. 2.8Amp and 3.1Amp are driven harder so yes they are stronger. You may want a drop-in driven lower also for longer runtimes, better heat management etc. And Nailbender also have neutral and warm white XMLs! The levels depend on driver he uses, he cannot change them. I think most common one is driven 100% - 40% - 10%, so levels are fixed but of course 2.8Amp has lower levels than 3.1Amp drop-in. Check his sell thread for more info http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-white-XPG-XML-SST-50-90-P60-modules-(part-8).

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Runtime,..a 2x18500 setup in DBS is perfect, well balanced

I'm running unprotected AW 18500s',
IMRs' are better ~ free flowing juice is the key to higher amps..
icon3.gif

{actually, 2x 18650 may be kinda long for dbs chassis}.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Anyone know what the "stock" DBS XM-L is driven at? Is Nailbenders higher?

Do Nailbenders drop in's come with their own reflector or is it better to buy that from Deree? Get the SST 50, XP-G, MC E one?

tmackie

Newly Enlightened

Do Nailbenders drop in's come with their own reflector or is it better to buy that from Deree? Get the SST 50, XP-G, MC E one?

I was told that the XML pill that comes with the DBS is driven at 2.5 A. You have to run 2x18500 or 2x18650 - I guess 3xRCR123 is also an option. 2xCR123A or 2xRCR123 are not recommended because of heat issues.

I got both extenders on the way. I already have plenty of protected AW 18650 cells, but am going to order some IMR 18500 & AW protected 18500 from Lighthound today.

I will post a mini review when the light gets here.

Thanks again for all the advice!

pageyjim

Enlightened

Good questions can you post the answers if you get them answered elsewhere?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
FWIW or anyone else who is interested Nailbender can't do the "custom" modes but Milkyspit can... he's able to pick the color XML and my choice was .5%, 7%, 100% for spacing :)

amraspalantir

Newly Enlightened
hi. any of you guys with mulitple dbs pills care to post some beamshots of your babies?
currently using a xre r2 pill with aspheric and contemplating on a xm-l drop in to my stock SMO reflector.
should i get a OP to match with the xm-l?
will post some of mine once i get my camera back.