Compact AA or 18650 LED-flashlight

MissingLink

Newly Enlightened
Hi there. I'm new on this forum and was weighing the options for a new flashlight:

I'm looking for a compact flashlight that runs on AA or 18650. I allready own a Fenix L2D (predecessor of the LD20) for several years, and like it very much. I use this one mostly at work (security) and want another one for camping, hiking and survival.

Important are:
- long throw
- low option (3-10 lumen)
- good battery time

What are downsides of 18650 in use compared to AA?

Thanks for the advice.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
What are downsides of 18650 in use compared to AA?

Both 18650 an AA refer to a size and dont say much about chemistry but i assume you mean li-ion vs NiMH/Alkaline?

Li-ion is not consumer friendly period. If you don't feel like learning how to safely use these i suggest simply to stick with NiMH (eneloops are great). As for your light, there's more choices with those requirements than you can imagine, just search this forum a bit! Also the 4sevens brand is a nice brand to start with.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
With the question of Li-ions addressed, if you stick with AA, are you looking for 1xAA or 2xAA and at what budget? Since you know you like the L2D, you could always just get the LD20 or the 1xaa version LD10. On the lower end of the price spectrum you could try the ITP SA1 or SA2 or buy a Solarforce L2R (2xaa) and go hunting for the drop-in that fits your needs and budget most. Otherwise there are tons of options, depending on what your specific needs are.

Warp

Enlightened
The downsides to 18650 vs AA are:

1. Size (though a 2xAA light is pretty long, the 1xAA can be had a LOT smaller than an 18650 light)

2. You must buy the battery and a charger (obviously). This costs more than simple AA alkalines, but is probably worth it for something you will use at all frequently. You also have to use more care with lithium ion than alkaline, lithium or nimh AA batteries

3. If the battery runs out you need to have another 18650 or a pair of CR123s. These options are both more expensive, and more difficult to find, than simple AAs.

MissingLink

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice so far.

Budget is $50-$100 max.
For my Fenix L2D I use GP REcyko NiMH because I like batteries that stay charged. That's why I'm looking at 18650 Li-ion lights. I'm aware that I would have to buy batt's and charger, but that's not a problem if it has great impact on performance of the light (longer throw, greater brightness, longer battery-time).
On the other hand, if performance isn't much better, sticking to AA is easier (and the light would be smaller).

LD10 and LD20 are nice options, but don't have a great throw.

Was my L2D also rated in ANSI-lumens (175), or was this light prior to Fenix' use of ANSI?

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
If you mean by "stay charged" that they don't self discharge very fast, LSD Nimh's like Eneloops and Rayovac Platinum will keep their charge much longer than any rechargeable 18650. If that is the case, you probably want to go with a AA light. I would look for a light with an XR-E rather than an XP-G or XM-L, because it sounds like you are after maximum throw rather than maximum output. I'm thinking the JetBeam Jet-I Pro may be what you are looking for if you go with a 1xaa format. The throw on the older R2 version of the ITP SA1 and SA2 is pretty good too.

MissingLink

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your advice.
Looks like it's going to be AA then. Looked around (here, rest of internet ;) ) and considering your advice have decided it's must be AA then. Makes life easier because I allready use AA for my Fenix L2D (GP Recyko).

The Jetbeam you mention looks pretty good. I'm also considering the Fenix LD10.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Check out lumapower.
They have a few AA offerings. One is pretty small the other one is not. The small one is called the conexion but it is an older led. The Trust 1 is newer but not super small. Good light though.

If you want a small 18650 liight check out the Lumapower Encore light. It is a very streamlined 18650 light. It doesnt get much smaller with that battery than this light. You could also check out the Trust 2, it is a little bit larger,, average size.

Warp

Enlightened
I'm aware that I would have to buy batt's and charger, but that's not a problem if it has great impact on performance of the light (longer throw, greater brightness, longer battery-time).
On the other hand, if performance isn't much better, sticking to AA is easier (and the light would be smaller).

AA batteries slack in performance compared to lithium ion or CR123. Even if you go the route of a AA powered light I would get one that can be run on a lithium ion (14500) as well. Something like a Thrunite Neutron 1A.

Edit: Well I just read that you decided on AA. I would check out the Neutron. Also the Zebralight SC51

Last edited:

mrlysle

Enlightened
The Fenix LD10 you mentioned is a nice light. Also look really hard at Zebralights. Sooo many choices! Obviously, it's a choice YOU will have to make. But after you decide on what light you want, if it is a AA powered light, get yourself some Sanyo Eneloop batteries, and a Maha MH C9000 charger. You'll never regret it! Good luck with your decision!

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Fenix LD10. I really like it. I use the 14505 on it now but got plenty of Eneloops on the side. It's tubular, literally;p. The BA10 looks bodacious too. I was looking for throw too in my other threads and this does it enough for me. Still need see how it's throw is tonight on my 14505s. It's pretty good on the Eneloops though.

I was wondering if the BA10 had better throw then the Fenix though.

Last edited:

MissingLink

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all.

I looked at the Zebralights, burt don't really like the design. The Thrunite Neutron 1A looks pretty nice, but I prefer the beam of the Fenix LD10 (seen on Fonarik). I might choose the Fenix, also because I allready have one (L2D) that I'm satisfied with.

New User

Banned
If you are going to use Eneloops then you need to buy a charger either way.

18650 will have about 10wh of power, AA about 2.5wh

No comparison in terms of juice to use. AA are handy though, and smaller.

Don't be put off with all the usual scare talk about Li-ion, if you have a laptop, mobile phone, electric shaver etc etc etc then you use lots of Li-ion re-chargeables already.

ZL SC60 I think is fantastic, size output, runtime, design. Not really a thrower though.

MissingLink

Newly Enlightened
No need for a charger for AA, because I allready have one (for my GP Recyko's, same principle as the Eneloops).
That the 18650's have more juice was one of the reasons for me to consider them, but someone here told me they will discharge faster than Eneloop-like AA's.

Warp

Enlightened
No need for a charger for AA, because I allready have one (for my GP Recyko's, same principle as the Eneloops).
That the 18650's have more juice was one of the reasons for me to consider them, but someone here told me they will discharge faster than Eneloop-like AA's.

Do you plan to store these batteries for future use, or put them in devices that get at least semi frequent use?

Warp

Enlightened
For semi-frequent use. But they might be idle for a few weeks at a time.

A few week shouldn't be fine. However, if you are goign to have to pick up the batteries and charger for either selection and are looking at a 1xAA size/form factor, for only semi frequent use, and are happy with the output obtainable from AA batteries than ~$20 for a sanyo charger and 4 eneloops seems like a pretty good start

MissingLink

Newly Enlightened
A few week shouldn't be fine. However, if you are goign to have to pick up the batteries and charger for either selection and are looking at a 1xAA size/form factor, for only semi frequent use, and are happy with the output obtainable from AA batteries than ~$20 for a sanyo charger and 4 eneloops seems like a pretty good start

Allready have the charger and batteries. That's why the AA get's another +

MissingLink

Newly Enlightened
Ok, decided for now to purchase the Fenix LD10. No doubt more powerfull but less compact thrower will join it in the near future.

Thanks to all for the advice.