Solarforce or Surefire Twisty Switch - No moving parts?

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I got a Solarforce L2P with an S7 momentary+twisty switch. I think it resembles the SureFire original 6P momentary tailcaps.
It doesn't work like I expected from my SureFire L1 momentary switch.

Is it correct that the rubber cap is just fixed to the metal housing and turning on the light just means pressing down the metal housing down? I thought pressing down the rubber would move a metal plate inside the switch like in the L1 switch.

Thank you!

Regards,
Jonas

theix

Newly Enlightened
I don't own Solarfoce but I don't think the tail cap assembly of Surefire G2/G3 is the same as Surefire L1.

The last sentence of yours is correct except the part that you're saying it's the same as Surefire L1.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1/LX2 tail-cap has a resistor that gives you your two levels of light, but is essentially fixed.

Current Z41 (twisties) feature the "lock-out" feature, and are also fixed (although the spring may rotate), while older twisties (non-lock-out ones) have removeable guts (some will just fall out, others are held in place by a hex screw or o-ring.

The Switch is not "fixed" to the metal housing, per-se, but rather "floats" there..when pressed, the switch touches to "-" terminal, which then toughs the metal body of the light, completing the circuit. The Surefire twisties will not work with-out the metal switch inside, as the tail-cap housing, in itself, doesn't make contact wih the negative terminal of the battery.

Clear as mud? Hope that helps!

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
Hello!
Thank you for your replies!

I tried to make a quick drawing. From what you've written, a SureFire twisty e.g. Z41 should work like A). I thought that the SolarForce S7 was the same principle but my switch works like B). Is it defective? I thought that something is stuck so the inner metal plate is stuck. Why the rubber button? There's no difference to pressing the metal tailcap housing down.
I tried to get in touch with SolarForce and ask if this is what it is intended to work like but I couldn't get an answer because of the language barrier. :-/

Would be very nice if owners of SureFire and Solarforce tailcaps could confirm this. Thank you!

Kind regards,
Jonas

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello!

I tried to make a quick drawing. From what you've written, a SureFire twisty e.g. Z41 should work like A). I thought that the SolarForce S7 was the same principle but my switch works like B). Is it defective? I thought that something is stuck so the inner metal plate is stuck. Why the rubber button? There's no difference to pressing the metal tailcap housing down.
I tried to get in touch with SolarForce and ask if this is what it is intended to work like but I couldn't get an answer because of the language barrier. :-/

Would be very nice if owners of SureFire and Solarforce tailcaps could confirm this. Thank you!

Kind regards,
Jonas

I can't see your pic just now, but when I get home I'll post some pic's of what the inside of the Surefire tail-cap looks like. The rubber acts as a moisture barrier...you could indeed have a solid metal tailcap, but that would lead to slippage issues, etc., if that makes sense. The raised rubber button provides "positive contact"...kinda along the same priciples as a large red emergency shutdwon button that's oversized.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
On the left is the internal arrangement of the Z41:

2vlmgxz.jpg

In the case of both tailcaps, neither the threaded piece near the bottom or the tailcap itself should move during press. The aluminum disk floats, between the boot and spring. In testing, you should be able to put one finger on the spring pushing back, another finger on the boot pushing forward, and be able to push the disk forward and aft.

Installed, the tailcap should be unscrewed a half turn from tight, allowing the plate to float between the boot and batteries. If the boot does not respond installed the way it does uninstalled, either the tailcap is not situated correctly or the battery/drop in is not providing the correct tension against the spring.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello!

Kind regards,
Jonas

The Surefire tail-caps work like drawing "A"