Surefire LX2 Lumamax Flicker Problem and Surefire CS?

jylong_away

Newly Enlightened
Hey all!

Have had a bit of a problem with my Surefire LX2, and am also troubled by the response from their WR department...

Was illuminating the contents of a plastic jar about a month ago, and had to get the LX2 close enough that the front end bumped up against the plastic. Noticed a momentary 'flicker' of the light at the moment of 'impact'(it was a *really* gentle bump, which didn't even scratch the plastic or the light). The beam just seemed to go off and then on again for an instant. Have managed to replicate the problem reliably, but only with end-on contact against the front of the light. Tapping it side on or hard shaking does nothing. The beam has also never wavered before during use(unless the battery was about to go).

Tried a new set of batteries, with no luck. Also tried twisting the tailcap to the 'constant on' position to see if it made a difference, but still the same problem.

Has anyone else had any similar problems with their LX2? I have an E2DL and an E1L, which don't do this.

Surefire CS has been another problem - I sent the light in for WR assessment after getting an RMA. They weren't the quickest to proccess it, with their system only registering it as 'recieved' a full week after postal tracking showed it had been delievered.

Just got a reply back from them today after sending a few emails that they couldn't find anything wrong with it, and suggested it might be due to 'sub standard battery use'. That's a bit concerning, as I've used their 123A's in the light, and have a small stockpile back here to prove it. Apparently the light is on its way back to me, with nothing having been done to it.

I find their conclusion a bit weird, given that the 'flicker' only happens when there's impact on the front end of the light. Wouldn't that be more of a loose connection or something?

Any help or comments on the situation would be much appreciated!

Dave

shomie911

Enlightened
Couldn't it just be the batteries moving within the compartment? I've had lights that flickered when tapped lightly like that, but it never affected real world use and it didn't lead to any reliability issues.

I'd say if it doesn't affect your day to day use just forget about it! :laughing:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about the bad CS experience...it's all who you talk to. If there is a next time, I'd include a note with the light "dumbing it down" for them. It could be the Tail-cap actually...the spring may need to be "stretched" a bit. I've had that happen with a few of my "P60" drop-ins...just bad contact. What you can do, is with some-one elses help, connect the end of the battery to the tail-cap with a paper clip, and try to repeat the process, and see if you get the same problem. If not, it would be the tailcap spring, more than likely.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Surefire says there is nothing wrong with it then I am most likely going to trust their judgement. Not that I don't trust you but sometimes there are many situation which could cause a light to flicker. Weak batteries are one, but you said you you had impacted the bezel which would result in some slight lost of battery contact which may cause a flicker. It depends very much on the spring resistance in the tail cap too. Considering the LX2 to utilize a two stage twisty interface, I don't think a tougher spring would be a good solution. Have another go at it. If you are not happy then maybe consider other options like selling it off or contacting CS again?

conan1911

Newly Enlightened
I don't like to jump in too much, but send me a private message with your RMA and I will personally look into this. The LX2 is one of my personal favorites and we rarely encounter problems with it.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like to jump in too much, but send me a private message with your RMA and I will personally look into this. The LX2 is one of my personal favorites and we rarely encounter problems with it.

Stuart too the rescue! Long time no-post! Good to see you on here again, Stuart! (Did I mention, SF rocks???)

jylong_away

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I could probably add a bit more detail - I've tried turning down the tailcap to the 'constant on' position, which I guess keeps the spring quite tight on the batteries, but still the same problem.

I've tried the LX2 head on an E2DL body, with the same problem. The original head of that E2DL didn't have that problem on it's own body.

Stuart - thanks so much for that. I'll send you that PM!

Dave