Pet Peeves Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
With Empath's blessing at the end of the first Pet Peeves thread, I am starting a new Pet Peeves thread.

My pet peeve is people who focus exclusively on the negative things in life. There is a great deal going RIGHT in this world, and it's all over the place. One doesn't even need to look hard to find many more positive things than negative things.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
. . . One doesn't even need to look hard to find many more positive things than negative things.

I truly envy your outlook on the world . . .

Businesses that refuse to take American Express. (I know why they do it.) But I'm more likely to come back to places that accept it.

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened
While some of the stuff on this thread might be construed as negative thinking, I also think our thoughts are healthy to express.
Where else could we vent amongst others that share common interests and still vent a little.
One important thing to remember about the Pet Peeve thread is that I found very few, if any, of the forum members actually attack each other. That, I can agree is not acceptable. But we don't. We're all together and we attack issues, issues of the day and everyday issues.
We all know there are bad drivers or other people in society that don't think too clearly.
If for example someone posted a peeve here and after reading the peeve I realized that "hey I do that and didn't realize it bothered people" Then it might be something I've learned and maybe practice a new behaviour. That's if we're all honest with ourselves.

I'm fairly certain that this thread is self regulated. No "F" bombs or other foul language. No racial slurs, not to mention racials jokes.

If I can sit at the kitchen table and talk to my family about this bonehead or that, in politics, more so their policies that can be healthy debate.

There' no question that anyone of us could go off on a tangent and maybe exceed our own guidelines, but that's life and no one here claims to be perfect.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
People that use/barrow my personal Leatherman (multi-tool), break it, and then act like it wasn't their fault that THEY broke it.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
People who ask to borrow your pen and then "forget" to return it. Hey, the reason I was carrying a pen in the first place is because I need it as much as you do!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Guys . . . That's the reason why I don't let anyone borrow my gear unless it's truly an emergency.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys . . . That's the reason why I don't let anyone borrow my gear unless it's truly an emergency.

Ditto...regardless of what they say, or who they are, people don't respect other people's stuff. Learned that the hard way (I think we all have). Family may be the only exception.

My pet peeve is fake "hello's" and "hey's"...

Norm

Retired Administrator
People who feel they have to quote an entire post complete with pictures, when the quote isn't necessary or could have been edited so as to quote just enough so we understand the relevance. :scowl:
Even worse people who quote a huge post when the quote is completely unnecessary just to add +1 or a one line reply. :sick2:
Norm

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Folks who don't say "Thank You" when you hold the door open for them. But even worse are the ones who continue to ignore you when you say, "You're Welcome."

I had a middle-aged dude pull that very thing the last time I went to my favorite book store. He just kept right on walking as if the bathroom door leading out had opened by itself or as if I was invisible. I felt like walking up to him, grabbing him by the shoulder, spinning him around and asking what the Hell his problem was. However, I was in the book store to kill some time before heading off a short distance to the medical institute I attend.

I wasn't in the mood for some extra drama. But the next time something like that happens, I'll just walk right up in front of the individual who pulls that nonsense, and yell "You're Welcome!" right in his face. then it'll be my turn to walk away.

beerwax

Enlightened
People who feel they have to quote an entire post complete with pictures, when the quote isn't necessary or could have been edited so as to quote just enough so we understand the relevance. :scowl:
Even worse people who quote a huge post when the quote is completely unnecessary just to add +1 or a one line reply. :sick2:
Norm

+1

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened

I used to lead by example, If I borrowed a tool, I'd return it as soon as I was done, cleaned and in mint shape. If I wrecked it, I'd go to buy two tools, one for the person I borrwed from and one for me. The person I borrowed from would look surpised. I said I borrowed it, I damaged it, I replaced it and that's the way it should be. Sometimes that message would resonate, other times you're speaking to a brick wall.

What really bothered me is a person would borrow from me. "I'll bring it right back" Ahem, ya right!!!
I'd make a mental note and go pay a visit. He'd say "I thought I already returned it, oops, guess I didn't, sorry bout that"
They're the worst.

On a lighter side sometimes I think the word "borrow" translates to the term "can I have your tool?"

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
People who won't use turn signals. I truly don't get this. It takes less than one second to hit the switch and only takes a millisecond of one's mental capacity to decide to do it. I regularly see drivers who have both hands available and they won't signal. WTH?

2filthy3

Newly Enlightened
Ditto...regardless of what they say, or who they are, people don't respect other people's stuff. Learned that the hard way (I think we all have). Family may be the only exception.

My pet peeve is fake "hello's" and "hey's"...

Oh yes, along with "How's it going?" or similar questions as a greeting instead of a question about your wellbeing/life/situation.

Say what you mean and mean what you say!

The problem is allot of people expect these fake hello's and how are you going's. More than once in the workplace I have been confronted by people who want to know what my 'problem' is, and it comes from the fact that I don't say hello, how's your life every time I see people, unless we really are friendly enough that i really do care.

And regarding a lack of respect for others possessions, I once lent a tennis racquet to a friend, it was broken when he returned it, no problem.
I later found out that he had been hitting a can in the air with it, WTF, it really hit's home how different some individuals views are on respect.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The problem is a lot of people expect these fake hello's and how are you doing's. More than once in the workplace I have been confronted by people who want to know what my 'problem' is, and it comes from the fact that I don't say hello, how's your life every time I see people, unless we really are friendly enough that i really do care.

A "Hello" is a form of common courtesy. At its most basic level, it is the acknowledgement that an aquaintence or co-worker exists. A "Hello" cannot be faked since once given, it has served its purpose of (at the very least) acknowledging the existence of another. You say it, someone hears it, responds to you in kind. Thus, it is always real.

In the pet peeve I mentioned earlier, the thing that really got me upset was the fact that the guy completely pretended I was invisible. Not even just the lack of a "Thank You" for holding the door open for him, but the obnoxious jerk just kept right on walking like the bathroom door opened and held itself open. It was a blatant sign of disrespect on his part. The most basic kind too.

Add to that example the fact that many folks will give the Silent Treatment to someone with whom they are truly upset with. It's a subtle but clear way of letting someone know you don't appreciate what they did to you. Personally, I'll tell someone off who has upset me. But that's not the vast majority of folks out there. When you ignore someone, it's a way of disrespecting them without telling them to "F**K Off!"

Thing is, if you just don't want to be bothered saying "Hello" to a bunch of co-workers whom you'd never associate with if it wasn't for the job; they'll naturally assume it's because you don't like them, are upset with them, or that you're a jerk. They're your co-workers, and they're human-beings. They're not robots or computers. People tend to get very angry if you don't at the very least acknowledge that they even exist. Look at it from their point of view. How happy would you be if someone you knew walked right by you without even saying "Hello."

Empath

Flashaholic
DaveyJones, your post has been removed. Feel free to repost, without your campaigning against Christianity. You may discuss it in the Underground but the discussion and topic is one we neither address nor welcome on CPF.

Status
Not open for further replies.