Claiming 3000 lumens from XM-L...

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there were 3 emitters in there, It would be possible. 3 emitters behind a flood to throw head would look ridiculous, so I'm guessing they're using marketing lumens (ie. entirely made up), or Dundee lumens (ie: That's not a torch, THIS is a torch!)

HooNz

Enlightened
I think the "wooz" function is the same as "strobe" :) , makes one woozy!

Simple mathematics also , 2 batteries is x2 , therefore 3 batteries is x3 , and Australasia the last time i looked was somewhere between Asia and Austral and probably below sea-level .
Paul--

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Australiasia means "based in Australia, but we're more important than just being Australian"

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I emailed the site and asked how they arrive at 3000 lumens from a single XM-L. This is the response.

"Yes, that is what we have been told. I would like to point out that we do not have these lights available for sale yet as this model has not arrived in Australia. Regarding the specifications, we can only by the information provided to us by the factory . We understand the factory has developed a proprietary driver for this LED which can utilize increased voltage power supply. Along with increased voltage of the three batteries we expect to get much better performance than the existing XM-L lights which are run at 2800mA/2.4-3.7V.

These XM-L chips are well capable of being driven harder for higher output - if you check the performance curves provided by Cree - very straight almost linear increase in light output with increasing current and voltage. Although rated to 10W@3000mA/3.3V, with a higher voltage power supply, the factory's R&D department says these LEDs can go to 30W with light output remaining close to 100lumen per watt.

I hope this answers your question because it is the best we can do until the lights arrive. Our website is reviewed and updated regularly, so please keep an eye on it as we will keep the information up to date regarding specifications and availability as and when received."

We all know the flaws in that statement.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Australasia is a region of Oceania: Australia, New Zealand, the island of New Guinea, and neighbouring islands in the Pacific Ocean (Island Melanesia, potentially including Wallacea). The term was coined by Charles de Brosses in Histoire des navigations aux terres australes (1756). He derived it from the Latin for "south of Asia" and differentiated the area from Polynesia (to the east) and the southeast Pacific (Magellanica). It is also distinct from Micronesia (to the northeast). Australasia sits on the Indo-Australian Plate, together with India.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
"These XM-L chips are well capable of being driven harder for higher output - if you check the performance curves provided by Cree - very straight almost linear increase in light output with increasing current and voltage. Although rated to 10W@3000mA/3.3V, with a higher voltage power supply, the factory's R&D department says these LEDs can go to 30W with light output remaining close to 100lumen per watt."

That's a great response, it would be good if it was true.