Terralux upgrade meltdown

Ogeluv

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to these forums and have a question. Has anyone used the terralux 140 lumen upgrade and had it immediately fail upon installation? I just put one in my minimag and the first thing I thought was wow this is pretty bright. About 30 seconds later it stopped working. I took the head off of the light to see if the reflector may have pulled the unit out and noticed the black thermal glue starting to leak from the top of the unit. When I pulled the unit off of the light the contacts stayed in the socket along with a large glob of that black sticky stuff. Quite a disappointment for such a high priced item. Has anyone else had this meltdow occur? I've had my eye on the 300 lumen terralux for a while but this incident doesn't leave me with a whole lot of confidence in their products
On another note their customer service emailed me the return form and promised to send me a replacement.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like it overheated. If you used alkaline, NiMH, or lithium primary AA's, it's a manufacturing defect.

kj2

Flashaholic
I've the same Terralux led. No problems at all.
I think, like Robin24k says; "it's a manufacturing defect".

Ogeluv

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like it overheated. If you used alkaline, NiMH, or lithium primary AA's, it's a manufacturing defect.

I was just using regular cheapo alkalines I'm thinking it is a defect as I saw virtually no solder on the posts.