How manufacturers differ in how they stand behing their products...

flashlight_guy_!

Newly Enlightened
Firstly as this is my first post I must apologize if this is in the wrong place or inappropriate for the forums. That said, I have found that different manufacturers handle their defective or non working products differently. A while back when My SL Stinger HP switch failed, I contacted SL and they sent me a link to a dealer where I could purchase one. When my Pelican MightyLite case failed I was told to mail it in on my dime and waited 6 weeks for it to be replaced under defect warranty. My most recent experience is with a Led Lenser P7 that had a flakey switch. I contacted coast and they said all their products are covered by and unconditional lifetime warranty and shipped me out an entire tailcap assembly free of charge within 24 hours. That really made me feel good about a manufacturer in a way I haven't for a while!
It makes me wonder how other companies handle their defect/repair issues. I have several other brands and knock on wood they don't need any service but it just got me thinking...

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
You make a good point about the importance for manufacturers to stand behind their products. If I receive good customer service when I need it, then I will be a repeat customer with that company. When a customer receives poor service, then a manufacturer will most likely lose that persons business. Some manufacturer's don't give enough attention to customer service, when there is a problem. I'm lucky- so far I have received excellent service from manufacturers and suppliers that I have dealt with.
I'm glad to hear about the service you received from Led Lensor. The best advertising is word of mouth from customers. I would like to read more posts when CPF members receive outstanding service, or when they get the shaft.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whether they send you a replacement part or if you have to send it in depends on what is broken. For user-replaceable consumables, such as tailcaps, there's no reason to require the light to be sent in. However, for LED module or head switch problems, the light will usually have to be sent back because the LED module is expensive and may not be easily removed.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
a manufacturer's reputation is a big consideration when I buy my lights.
Ive learned through experience that paying the higher costs for lights from a certain manufacturers is well worth it.

I have a friend who told me he had his pelican 7060 replaced 4 times already. everytime pelican gave him a new one, cause the old one was beyond repair. He would walk in there, hand them the light. they take it to the back for a look, and come out with a new one. now thats getting your money's worth heheh