Battery recommendation for TK-15

singularity35

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, noob here with noob question. I hope this is the proper place to post this. Mods please move if inappropriate here.

I have a TK-15 which I'm anticipating to use a lot in the next several months so I'm looking at 18650's to keep my costs down(I'm using CR123's at present). I'm looking at AW R18650 2900 mah and AW R18650 2200. The thing I'm confused about is that the 2200 mah is rated at 4.2 volts and the 2900 mah is rated at 3.7 volts.

Here are my questions now: Which one should I use? Will the higher voltage battery damage my light? If not, is the higher price of the 2900 mah battery worth the increase in capacity?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

JKodiak

Newly Enlightened
Both batteries will do fine. When fresh off from charger they both are 4.20 volts. TK15 is designed to work with this voltage. 2900mAh gives you longer runtime with one battery. It is up to you decide if you're ready to invest few bucks more for higher capacity. But if you consider that you can expect AW li-ion to last at least few hundred load cycles there is noason re not to pay few dollars more for higher capacity. And you need to load smaller capacity cell more often thus going through loading cycles faster.

Other brand to look is Redilast. He has same capacities as AW but his batteries have done slightly better in tests made by CPF members. All Redilast cells are button-top where AW 2900 and 2600 mAh are flat top. TK15 works with flat-tops but some flashlights do not work with flat-tops. If (when ;-)) you plan to get more lights this may become issue.

Latest posts