McClicky in new FM D26 copper host won't stay on

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Hi all -

I have a new FM D26 Copper 1x26650 host purchased here. I just got around to putting all the pieces together so I haven't popped a cell into it until today.

The tailcap setup is FWD clicky (McClicky) switch in custom adapter, that adapter screws into the tailcap on the host. It's almost identical to an oveready upgrade mcClicky kit (same threading even).

When I half press I can cycle through the modes and as long as I maintain the half press position, the light stays on. As soon as I do a full click, the light goes out.

:wtf:

I had the drop-in in another Solarforce host previously and the dropin has no issues. I don't think it is a host to tailcap contact/anodizing problem because in that case the light shouldn't turn on at all. If I hot-wire the bottom of the cell to the bare metal on the host, the light stays on.

I took the switch adapter out of the tailcap and then the switch itself out of the adapter and put it all back together nice and tight - same behavior.

Anybody know wherein lies the problem?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
There are two good options for checking this:

1) replace the aluminum+mcclicky with a brass+mcclicky from a different setup

2) set your MM to test connectivity. test the switch alone, test the switch in the aluminum ring, test both installed into the tailcap.

OneBigDay

Enlightened
There are two good options for checking this:

1) replace the aluminum+mcclicky with a brass+mcclicky from a different setup

2) set your MM to test connectivity. test the switch alone, test the switch in the aluminum ring, test both installed into the tailcap.

Thanks ElectronGuru - this did the trick. You learn something new every day.

I turned up HKJ's DMM guide and was able to see the difference between a working switch and a dead one. Sure enough the McClicky that came with the host was bad. This was the last thing I would have expected to be bad in the setup. I had a spare and now I have a working host. Now I'll just have to get another spare.

Thanks again! :thumbsup: