Pocket Rocket 1*16340 xm-l t6 @ 3.0A build help - just trying for shock and aw

robertdayton

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, new here, I pretty much have things figured out, just wanted to make the run through and have veterans add some experience my way.

host: (have a few but just ordered what will be my smallest)
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/mxdl-3w-flashlight-silver-2097

LED:
xm-l t6 on 16mm star (trying to find some spare copper to make a new star)

driver: (very flat so i can stuff some more copper under the other side of the pill)
(if i cant get 3.0A ill replace or add a resistor in parallel)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330556153318&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

battery:
AW IMR16340

Any idea on optics? doubt any convex lens that small exist, any reflectors?

This is only for that shock and aw effect, I imagine after a few seconds this thing will start to become very hot

Last edited by a moderator:

foxtrot824

Enlightened
Welcome to the Forums!

Having build a few little rockets I'd just like to point out that asking 2.8-3A from a from a cell that small needs to be a limited to burst use. You will be exceeding the 4C discharge rate of the cell putting you into unsafe battery territory. Might I suggest a 3 mode driver for usability in the lower outputs while still having crazy bright high.

I found some spare copper for a snug for a project like this and yes it does get very hot quick on high, but for pocket rockets it works. I played with some Carclo optics with the XM-L and didn't like how floody it got and how square it focused the beam.

I look forward to see what you make.

Last edited:

robertdayton

Newly Enlightened
thank you for the tips, exactly what i was looking for.

it is a lot of stress on the battery but i hear aw imr 16340 handles up to 5c, anyways cant keep it on for much because the heat would kill the led

thats a good site, everything shipped from new york? i like that driver a lot might as well make the light functional lol.

where did you get the copper slugs? i have a bunch of extra computer heatsinks, some copper some aluminum but nothing to mill them. my friend has a warehouse full of machines and tools, im sure he has something for milling.

robertdayton

Newly Enlightened
Also is there any way i can make this flashlight even brighter then a xm-l t6 @ 2.8-3A?

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Also is there any way i can make this flashlight even brighter then a xm-l t6 @ 2.8-3A?

Well, three XM-ls ran at about 1A each should give you more output compared to a single die at 3A (maybe even give em a little more than that?) Should be like 1100 emitter lumens vs 900 or so?

Latest posts