Warm or Neutral MCE in a Fenix TK30?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to put either a warm or neutral MCE in my TK30, well I'm going to attempt to I should say. I don't own any neutral lights right now, but I do own a warm and like the tint. The tint on my TK30 seems to be somewhat close to neutral as it isn't as cool as some of my other lights. It does seem to have a green hue to it, especially on lower modes. I understand that tint is subjective and based on personal preference. I am leaning towards the warm emitter at this point in time, and plan on ordering the emitter from cutter within a few days. Thoughts/comments are appreciated (especially about Warm/Neutral MCEs).
Mods: I have another thread in the modified flashlights forum specifically about the modding details, this thread is geared more towards opinions on the Warm and Neutral MCE emitter.

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bumping... because I'd like to order the emitter on Monday. I'm probably going to get the warm unless someone can convince me to get the neutral.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why an mce? You can get warm xml's with a really good CRI.
I don't know how to mod a light but someone mentioned in a thread that the Vf wasn't good to mod with the XML and it would result in a 1 mode light. I need a very simple mod because I don't know what I am doing and don't have the time/resources to do complex modifications (but I want to do it myself). That left me with the MCE because I can order a MCE on the same board and the just swap the whole board/LED out with minimal skills (at least that is the plan). Here is the modding thread.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick note on warm vs. neutral.

I had a couple of neutral lights before I got a warm Quark Mini. I don't know if I had just gotten used to the neutral or what, but the warm seems TOO warm to me. BUT, after being on vacation in a rental condo that was all incandescent-lit, the warm led actually seemed just a little cooler than the incans.

Anyway, if you like the warm already and you're familiar with it, you probably want to stick to it for something like this. The neutral may look weird to you if you're used to warm. And the warm emitters typically have a slightly better CRI, so win/win!

Sometime you can try out a cheap neutral just to see what it's like (as I did with the Mini). Then if you don't like it you're not out much money/time.

Hopefully all that rambling made some kind of sense! By the way, a while back it seems like I remember there were beamshots of a neutral or warm MC-E vs. the cool version... can't quite remember which thread. May have been lost in the Great CPF Crash though...

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if your modding is a success (and we hope it will be) you MUST post pictures of the results or you will be banned FOR EVER from CPF!!

:eek:
:wtf:
:twak:
:whoopin:
:banned:

(okay not really :D )

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses. I haven't seen a neutral yet, so I think I will order the warm MCE. I won't be doing the mod until about 2 weeks from now, but hopefully it goes well and I will try to take pictures and post them.