What should I get for utility EDC?

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a good EDC LED. It has to be small, cheap, and have good throw and runtime. I've narrowed my choices down to an Arc LSL, Arc second, BB400, and a Madmax with Q3. I'm already carrying around a SureFire G2 and need a smaller, more pocket friendly light that can be used for utility as well as self defense, if need be. I looked at the TT2L but it's too bulky for my needs.

Also, can anyone please explain the Badboys and Madmax's to me? Which is brightest and has the best runtime? What are the differences between regular and wide open? These are cheaper than the Arcs I've listed above and use cheaper batteries, so that is a plus. Are there any things I should be aware of when using one of these drop in mods?

Thank you for your time and sorry for my ignorance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The MadMax and the BadBoy are dropin mods for the AA Minimag. What do you call cheap? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The ARC LSL is NOT a cheap light, in my book! Get a ARC AAA and put on your keyring.

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
I mean under a certain price range, cheap. I don't plan to spend $70+ on this light as I have other things on my wishlist. Knives and lights don't go well together for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

onelight

Enlightened
you can't beat the ARC LS for small and bright in a production light you can also get a 2-AA battery pak for the LS. The madmax & badboy are both excellent products if you like the mini-mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

gyverpete

Enlightened
I say get either the ARC-LSL or seconds. Seconds are grab bag so you take a chance on what you get, and there's no warranty beyond the 14 day satisfaction return policy, but you save $15 and maybe you get a premium or LSH (which are generally brighter, whiter and have better throw).
As far as cheap batteries, ARC also has Lithium 123 5-packs for $5. (I just bought $30 worth.)
All that combined with FREE SHIPPING! until the end of the month makes for a sweet deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I bought an ARC LSL Hybrid Second for $65 almost a year ago, and I was very impressed with it. My favorite thing about the ARC is its compact size esp. with the twist pack. My perfect EDC. If you get the ARC, get the twist pack "seconds" for an extra $4.95.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm personally a Surefire guy. For EDC I use an E1e with one of the KL1's that I have. Three overdriven and one not. For the price range that you want to stay in, I'd say get an Arc second. Arc does have a return policy and you are guaranteed to get a light that works. You can always choose to have it modded later with either overdrive, a different LED or both.

I don't think that any of the lights that you mentioned can be used for self defense, unless you throw it at them or use it like a roll of quarters.

batterystation

Enlightened
I have both the Arc LSH-P and the SF E1E/KL1. I use the E1E as my EDC pocket light. Love that clip! The Arc has the AA tail on it and gets used daily around the house/barn.
Chop hit it right on the head. Arc second is a great option. I bought a few and was very happy. Still debating the TW4 idea. Hmmmmmm.

StuU

Enlightened
I'm finding that the Streamlight SL7 4AA is my most useful light. It's certainly not as carry-able as the ArcLS but the beam is more functional for many tasks due to it's large flood properties. The SL7 is fairly mobile and is light and small enough to be held in the teeth for a short period of time if one needs hands free. Also well-balanced, durable, and cheap with a nice long run-time. Not quite as small as the Mini-mag, it's still relatively small.

harrydog

Newly Enlightened
The Arc LSH is as close to perfect as I've found for an EDC light. I like the body shape and smooth texture better than the Surefires for just throwing in a pocket. I've tied a small cord on mine to use as a lanyard (ala Sebenza) and it works great for me. If you prefer clip carry, the Surefire would be a better choice.
Some people get caught up in the never ending quest for the brightest LED (myself included) but really, for an EDC utility light, the LSH-P is plenty bright enough. In fact, the real high intensity beams are not that useful for general purposes. They're more for specialized use.
Go with the Arc LSH-P if you can afford it.

zorba

Enlightened
You can get a couple of arc LS seconds. They usually have only very minute defects and you can get lucky and get a LS P one.
On the cheap though, get an ARC AAA, you will love it.

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, guys! I've been researching on Pila lights and like the LED/Xenon GL2. Money is scarce so I'll get whatever I can afford. Thanks for all the information on these lights!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF E1e

Later on buy a KL1 or KL4 head depending on money and needed light output.

If you want something capable of use in a defensive situation, you need to go to a 2 cell (123 cells) light such as an E2e. That would make a nice set up with a KL4 head later on.

However with any 2 cell light you lose portability and maybe it will fall out of "your" EDC category.

Having said all that, the ARC-LS series are very high quality lights and if it wasn't for the ability to put a KL1 or KL4 head on an E1e I'd would have said hands down, get an LS second for around $50

GregR