Cheap remedy for rattling of CR123/RCR123s in a bored body

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I do know if someone has posted this or already does this. I have a few flashlight bodies that are bored to accept 18650 batteries. When using CR123s and RCR123s there is a gap between the batteries and the inside of the body. I found using small rubber bands works great lining up the batteries and also provides some type of shock protection. I use the mini rubber bands my wife uses to make pig tails and braid my daughters hair. They are available at beauty stores and at Target or Walmart in the hair products section. I use two rubber bands per battery at each end, but you can put more. They also fit tighter in the battery carrier cases, and stop the rattling. The pack is cheap and must have over one hundred rubber bands. I know people can also use O-rings or wrap the batteries in a Post-It sheet, but this works great. Hopefully this will help CPFers using an 18650'd body with the M91 on two RCR123s or who use CR123s as back up.

100_4775_00.jpg

100_4777_00.jpg

100_4779_00.jpg

100_4780_00.jpg

Last edited:

Roger999

Enlightened
I have a Fenix that rattles with some brands of AA batteries, I wrapped a little roll of printing paper in the tube, and that fixed the rattling problem.

ragweed

Enlightened
The rubber band trick is cheaper than the 0 ring trick. Thanks for the info!

tolkaze

Enlightened
Thats a great idea! I love it. I have been using those eagletac 2xcr123a plastic holders, but this seems like a good idea from several aspects... extra buffering on the sides too!

I will try to get some of those braces elastics... they would work pretty good, and like you said... hundreds in a pack.

Tsportmat

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix TK12, it rattles very slightly when using AW Batteries, but surprisingly is very snug with HB 18650s (which came free with my charger, I don't normally use them mind you, don't fully trust them).

Anyway, I was going to wrap the AW with a very thin layer to get them to fit tightly - will this cause any problems with heat dissipation? As they are, although they're very slightly loose, part of the battery will be in contact with the metal, if I use bands there would be a large air gap, using tape or something they'd be in contact by the tape would insulate the batteries.

DM51

Flashaholic
Rattling cell problems can easily be fixed by rolling the cell in a strip of paper sufficient to give a snug fit, as Roger999 suggests above. There's no fire or other risk in doing that, and it's much less likely to get stuck inside the tube than a rubber band or tape.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tape & paper etc. are definitely the cheap remedies, though at $10 for the delrin sleeves I'm holding out until next month, when the etailer that rhymes with Grover Steady claims they'll have them.

Tsportmat

Newly Enlightened
I've added a couple of bits of sellotape to 3 of my batteries so they're all snug, but will slide out with a flick (could always remove the head to push them out in needed, hopefully I won't though).

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been making sleeves from copy paper rolled around batteries then glued in tube shape with the most basic paper glue... you control the thickness of the wall... once completely dry just cut edges with surgical knife for carton-like stiff edges.

I have 2x14500 to 2x18500 configuration with thicker walls and few 2x16340 to 1x18650 and 3x16340 to 2x18500 configs... they are ridiculously easy and fun to make but once installed look great...