What to get?

rumboz

Newly Enlightened
G'day everyone my name is Chris and im from australia.
Im new to this forum (just singed up).

Just wanted to knonw what everyone ones thoughts where on the cree ebay stuff??
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Cree-C8-Q5-Rechargeable-300-Lumens-LED-Flashlight-Torch-/260759793634?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8673988064877831396

I want a torch to do some squid fishing, And i need a good spot torch that can get light through the water. I have two torches, tactical pro xr-e cree series x-lamp at 136 lumens (too much spread) and a mag-lite 3d cell led at 131 lumens (I want more lumens).

So any help anyone can give it would be very helpful. Also got to keep the cost down just spent $110 on the other torches and the handbrake (girlfriend) has told me no more money on torches!!!:thumbsdow

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want more lumens, but you need something with lots of lux to punch through the water. I love to spearfish, and the light that has the best reach in my collection is a old and "dim" cheap incan divelight. My led's cant toutch it in terms of cutting trough the water. So dont go blind on lumens. Look for something like a asperic light or something with a BIG reflector, not nessecary a led light with tons of lumens.

rumboz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for getting back to me Jorn.

So instead of lumens I need more lux (Is that a bigger reflector?)
And this will get the light to go through the top of the water? Becaues I need it to shine through the top part of the water 2-3 foot deep.

Also is there better battery i can put in my tactical pro xr-e cree series it tackes "C" LR14 size 1.5v alkaline, and the mag-lite 3d cell led takes 3 "D" LR20 sizd 1.5v alkaline. Is there somthing better i can put into it to give better power or last longer?

Sorry to keep asking more questions. But i also got 100 lumens head torch it tacks 3 AAA's i was going to order a 18650 battery for it is that the best?

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

Lightman2

Enlightened
Hi Chris, welcome. I am new here to and finding reading all the stories very informative. Not an expert of such matters like many here in the CPF all I can suggest is that you ensure whatever light you buy is waterproof rather than water resist. Waterproof means submersible and water resist typically means immersable. One revolves around tiem under the water (waterproof). Many lights may state they are water proof but they may not deliver if your light actually takes a decent drop into sea water. Choose a light with deep reflector or large diameter reflector of which both will catch all the light emmitted from the front and give it decent beam throw. That si why spotlights are so large in the head, typically the larger the head the better the throw or penetration of beam.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, rumboz! If you can get it over there, the Rayovac Ourdoorsman (here) 3-C is a good-cheap thrower. Nice TIR Lens and decent construction. It's not much brighter than the Mag, but the TIR lens should help it punch through the water a bit better.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The water surface acts like a mirror. Most of the light will bounce off when you shine on top of the surface (depending on the angle you shine) Higher lux will ensure that more light will penetrate and have more reach. (The higher lux the more intense the hotspot of the light will be.) Lumens is the total output of light, lux is how well the light is consetrated. The 1000+ lumen bulb in your livingroom don't look that impressive because the light is so spread out. The best thing is to break the suface of the water with the light's head to eliminate the mirror effect, or to shine it 90 degree (directly downward) for less "mirror effect".