TK50, TK40 or TK41

Lightman2

Enlightened
Having now got my Quark Mini 123 and ordered the Fenix LD01 (85 lumen model) I have made the decision to buy the Zebra SC51 (no issues there) but are undecided about the titled 3. The TK50 sure looks nice and with much throw and I have no issues using D cells howver keeping with the AA format and hi lumens should I get the TK40 or TK41 as a spotlight tool OR the TK50?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK41 has bigger spot beam and wider spill. It's the best thrower with new XM-L LED.
TK50 has a XPG R5 and TK40 MC-E.

You can use two D-cell adapters(2 AA--> D-cell adapter) to TK50 as well.
62176030.jpg

Lightman2

Enlightened
Thanks all however surely there must be more CPF'ers out there who have a TK41 or other great throwing Fenix light using AA's complete with review, opinions and beam shots. Can anyone else help?

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely go with the TK41. I have a TK45, and I would really like the throw the TK41 has as well as its decent spill.

nosbusa

Newly Enlightened
After doing some looking around the forums, I ended up going with the tk41 instead of the tk50. I also ordered the AA Eneloop's to go along with the tk41. Hopefully I'll get it before the weekend.

Steve Cebu

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one. I'm looking at getting a Big light for the house. I EDC my Nitecore D10 but I want a bigger light. I'm looking at the Fenix TK41 and the Fenix TK50. I have no problem using eneloops in a TK41 but I lik eteh idea that in a pinch if our power goes out for days I can use alkalines as replacements. The TK50 uses the D-cell and the TK41 uses 8xAA.
Assuming my eneloops got drained and I had to run regular alkalines in it which would be a better pick the TK41 or the TK50?
Also keep in mind that the TK50 would always have alkalines in it. These lights are for emergencies mostly or anything that needs to be done around the house where a flashlight is required. So they will sit for a few months unused.
Thanks for any help...
Steve

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
Also keep in mind that the TK50 would always have alkalines in it. These lights are for emergencies mostly or anything that needs to be done around the house where a flashlight is required. So they will sit for a few months unused.
Thanks for any help...
Steve

This is a bad idea. With Alkalines you risk leaking the batteries if the flashlight uses an electronic switch (which draws a small charge all the time). I know the TK41 does, not sure if the TK50 is mechanical or electronic. If the alkalines leak, that will render your expensive flashlight useless. If you really want to use alkalines, keep them by the light or leave the head unscrewed until you need to use it. One thing that might be worth pointing out is the TK41 will work on just 4 AA batteries.

In hindsight after purchasing tmy TK41, I realized it's way too big and bright to be a practical light. I would say this is not much of an emergency light, it's more of a show off to your friends light. Have you looked at smaller lights like the Jetbeam PA40 or Olight baton series?

For my uses, I wish I had gotten a sunwayman V20C instead (mostly because of the R01A) but you mentioned that you want the ability to use AA.

Robert C

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't pick the tk41 for an indoor general purpose light. I picked one up for outdoors where it's better suited. To be honest, my plain old mag 3c incan gets most of the use around the house. Sometimes, depending on what end of the house we're at, my wife and I will grab a streamlight sidewinder that I keep on the computer desk. If I'm closer to the bedroom, I grab the mag xl50 from my nightstand drawer. These two latter lights are AA and AAA powered so you can get off the shelf energizer lithium cells for long shelf life. I'll probably retire the 3c mag incan and replace it with the new ml100 for better run times and brighter output. YOu really don't need that much output for a light around the house. For me, anything from 50-100 lumens will do the job; even the latest version of the mini-mag LED will do a servicable job.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Don't go with the TK40 or TK50. The TK50's output isn't great and the hotspot is tight. The TK40 has more spill but the output is sad compared to the TK35 and TK41. The TK41 still throws great but has OK sidespill and a nice tint in my case. In fact, when I went snorkeling this past summer, I brought my TK40 (which was the previous champion) with my new TK35 and TK41 and couldn't believe how low the output was compared to the other two newer lights. I thought there was something wrong with the TK40 actually but it is fine.

I'd mod my TK40 with a neutral XML if I could get to the stock driver.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
It depends on what you will be using it for. I would suggest the TK41 just because it is brighter, if you need it, and it has a larger hotspot. But if the amount of batteries is an issue for you then follow the above suggestion get the TK50 and get some d spacers with some eneloops. That way you only use two batteries at a time and you still get a bright light. Keep in mind though that the smaller batteries will give you a shorter run time and with the TK50 you won't be able to see as much of what you are lighting up. Out of the two I would say the TK41 is the better light. But, the question is, is it worth the extra money to you?

The TK50, TK41, and TK60 all have the same electronic switch so alkalines are not a god idea in any of them.

my_crib_too

Newly Enlightened
I like the TK41 so much, I purchased a second one. Great throw, good spill, and good on batteries. Good weight and balance too. Nice price.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have an unopen 8-pack with colored Eneloops. I would not accept a nasty greenish tint(which is quite common with these new emitters), however. TK60 is also attractive...