LED flashlight output efficiency database?

ganymede

Enlightened
Hi there people, I am wondering is there a database on the output efficiency of LED flashlights? While we have lux and lumen data in a beam shot test, I am interested to know how much power (amperage) was drawn from the batteries to generate say number of lumen ON the surface of emitter and at predetermined distances say 10m, 50m and 100m. Efficiency is important because, firstly it will tell how the built in circuit manages the power usage to generate X amount of light, secondly it will also tell how well/efficient is the reflector design to minimize photon loses, thirdly a light with good efficiency will also put out more light using less energy (battery juice) and hence can sustain longer runtime.

One can probably generate the efficiency data by using the beam shot test and runtime but I am looking for a database of the most popular lights. Is there such a database?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I doubt you will get a power/distance rating as people tend to set up their light output boxes at a set distance that is far less than 10m away. The throw of a light at distance is determined largely by reflector/optics and if you only want throw with no spill you will have to go with optics for sure. The lights that are throw monsters tend to be higher end lights as most people want some spill on their everyday usage lights. As for the lumens produced at the surface of the emitter that typically is calculated using manufacturer specs as many lights are not easily dissasembled and put into a light box to measure just that. Many lights have mutliple modes that may be more efficient at lower light levels also so we could be talking about multiple measurements per light.
I doubt you will ever see a database cover all what you have listed it would be too difficult to manage for all but someone paid to do such full time.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Thank you, I know this will be a long shot but no harm giving it a try.
better to ask and know than to keep silent and keep wondering.....
Read some of the light reviews out there and you will start to realize how much effort is required to keep up to date with the technology and differences between current models. You can buy lights with luxeons, rebels, cree XR, cree XPC,XPE,XPG and XML also there are SSCP4 and SSCP7 and others... too many to easily keep track of.

ganymede

Enlightened
better to ask and know than to keep silent and keep wondering.....
Read some of the light reviews out there and you will start to realize how much effort is required to keep up to date with the technology and differences between current models. You can buy lights with luxeons, rebels, cree XR, cree XPC,XPE,XPG and XML also there are SSCP4 and SSCP7 and others... too many to easily keep track of.

Thank you again for your reply. Yes, there are many types of emitters out there (which their specs are available from respective manufacturer but I am more interested to see efficiency testing data from flashlight manufacturers, the data can be a powerful marketing tool if you ask me.

HKJ

Flashaholic
You might be able to calculate some efficiency data from my reviews, I often measure the power that goes into the light and on my newest batch of review I have also plotted the power input. For light with ANSI/FL1 lumen specification you can use the specified lumen and calculate efficiency. For other lights you must see if somebody test it in a sphere to get the lumen specification.

ganymede

Enlightened
You might be able to calculate some efficiency data from my reviews, I often measure the power that goes into the light and on my newest batch of review I have also plotted the power input. For light with ANSI/FL1 lumen specification you can use the specified lumen and calculate efficiency. For other lights you must see if somebody test it in a sphere to get the lumen specification.

Thanks for the suggestion, will give it a try...