Digital Camera Battery; Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer?

sunny_nites

Enlightened
I want to power some small, flat EDCs I'm building with Lipos and have several of these 900mah batteries from digital cameras. The battery pictured, next to a AAA for size comparison, is from an Olympus F240.

P4240540.jpg

They are labeled as Lithium Ions but they look like Lithium Polymers. Does anyone have any knowledge concerning the chemistry and capabilities of these batteries? Specifically can they source up to 1600mah safely?

They appear to be able to and get warm when supplying high current for extended periods of time.

Thanks in advance.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Thanks for the response, HKJ.

That's true, manufacturers and advertisers seem to use Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer interchangeably. Seems like most of the specs I have seen for Lithium Ion batteries show a much lower max discharge rate than their equivalent in Lithium Polymer form though.

Was hoping someone may have had some experience in the battery manufacturing field or something along those lines.

I've never seen a Lithium Ion flat pack like these so I'm pretty sure they are actually Lipos being advertised as Li-ions.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
As HKJ said, they are both.
Perhaps you are getting lithium ion confused with lithium cobalt?

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Thanks for the great responses, this was very educational for me!!

That write up flashflood provided the link to really helped me figure out what I was working with.

Thanks again everyone.

ganymede

Enlightened
Thanks for the response, HKJ.

That's true, manufacturers and advertisers seem to use Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer interchangeably. Seems like most of the specs I have seen for Lithium Ion batteries show a much lower max discharge rate than their equivalent in Lithium Polymer form though.

Was hoping someone may have had some experience in the battery manufacturing field or something along those lines.

I've never seen a Lithium Ion flat pack like these so I'm pretty sure they are actually Lipos being advertised as Li-ions.

Li-Ion and Li-Po are not entirely the same. For example, most Nokia cell phone are Li-Ion powered while their newer phones are Li-Po powered.

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
Li-Ion and Li-Po are not entirely the same. For example, most Nokia cell phone are Li-Ion powered while their newer phones are Li-Po powered.

The point is that both the "Li-ion" and "Li-polymer" batteries are actually Li-Ion. The change of the labeling can be just that, change of labeling.

william2

Newly Enlightened
Hi
I am thinking of buying the Kodak Playsport Digital Camera...do you think this camera is fine to transfer files over to the analyzer software? It transfers files in .mov and I believe that Kinovea supports that file format. I will be analyzing High Jump (Track and Field).

Last edited by a moderator:

CKOD

Enlightened
Lithium ion generally refers to canned cells, lithium polymer generally refers to the prismatic bagged cells, which are actually bagged lithium ion... That being said, chances are the battery in that is a lithium ion prismatic can in an oval metal can, so it is lithium ion technically and by common terminology.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Thanks, CKOD. I had a feeling it was something along those lines and appreciate the secondary confirmation.